Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Teutonic Twin
Reply #1 - 09/30/05 at 10:57:46

That a very interesting bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 09/30/05 at 11:06:20

Hey, do you want to know the best thing about this bike?  It does not have a BMW engine.  Tongue Did you notice that Bring More Wallet now calls their brake system life saving ABS. Typical Beemer hyperbole.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Cindi Knox
2005 No Login

Iron Butt
Association Member
since 1997

Four Miles From Minooka
Reply #3 - 09/30/05 at 11:13:42

Doesn't have the BMW trademark frail driveshaft splines, either.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 09/30/05 at 11:19:11

I thought the idea of the parallel twin somewhat different for BMW since they're so into boxers.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 09/30/05 at 12:07:28

Yes, It is not tipical for the BMW, but after they saw that Funduro had a good responce with that  Rotax engine, they decided it is worthed to try a twin. Years ago Yamaha had their TDM, but they did not stay on the  market. Let's see what will be the price and how long the bike will stay on the market.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/30/05 at 15:09:01

Belt drive, cool! If I had more time to hit the highway, that would probably be the perfect bike for me. I never thought BMW would make it. MZ has a nice parallel twin out now too but it's chain drive. The belt's got me spoiled now.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #7 - 09/30/05 at 17:27:59

Speak to me about the Beemer twin!  I have ridden Beemers for 30 years or so and am not aware of the twin other than the boxer..  Please advise.

Jack

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 10/10/05 at 06:52:01

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Yes, It is not tipical for the BMW, but after they saw that Funduro had a good responce with that  Rotax engine, they decided it is worthed to try a twin. Years ago Yamaha had their TDM, but they did not stay on the  market. Let's see what will be the price and how long the bike will stay on the market.

Er... I take exception of a few things I've seen and read, and believe a few clarifications are due:
1) Yamaha still has its TDM line, maybe it's been discontinued in the States but i'ts alive and well this side of the planet  Wink
2) For those of you who think it is not typical of the BMW, may I remind you that what was NOT typical was the K70/K100 line. As for the F600/650, long before they used Rotax (which is part owned by BMW) they used Italian Aprilia engines, with the one exception that while the original Aprilia bike had 5 valves and 6 speeds Shocked, the BMW only had 4 and 5 respectively (I know, my Bro's got an Aprilia)   Wink
3) The price will be what BMW know the discerning public will be willing to pay, which is a little higher than average for a definitely better than average bike - You will find 30-y.o. BMW bikes by the dozen... how many 30-y.o. Hondas-Kawas-Yamas-Zukis do you see?
4) BMW weak shaft splines? What did they win the Paris-Dakar on?

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 10/10/05 at 07:40:15

BMW will charge what the market will bear - discerning or otherwise.  Looking at numbers of 30+ year-old Japanese bikes still on the road compared with certain American and European manufacturers from the same period is sort of like saying Indians are inferior bikes because there were so few new ones sold last year.  The distribution levels at that point in time were just so completely different.  Japanese bikes really didn't make a big entry until roughly 30 years ago.

Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #10 - 10/10/05 at 15:43:08

thank you for referencing the article- it was interesting. i will admit i still hope there is a guzzi in my future, opposed twins as "they Should be.".  I will also note that the picture of the racer on the two stroke has one heck of a nice looking sidecar rig. Cheesy  As far a BMW goes, while opposed twins made their name, they have never been stuck in the mud/tradition and constantly try new stuff.  i think its an admirable company philosophy.  Everyone thought they only built tourers- so out come the dakar rally bikes.  Old twins vibrate too much, here comes the flying brick.  and so forth. From what i see at my local dealer, they are building some wunderbikes..i can't afford them but they appear very nice.  ah well, back to the overflowing gutters.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/10/05 at 19:15:54

I don't have anything against the bikes BMW makes.  I like them.  I feel that way about a lot of different bikes and their respective manufacturers.  What I don't like is the price... but unfortunately they're also far from alone in overpricing their products.  I definitely like the straightforward simplicity of a thumper though.  I was teetering netween the Savage and an Enfield bullet.  I think I got the better of the two.

Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 10/11/05 at 20:03:20

hey SavageRob- I'd agree with you. the enfield isn't really well put together from various posts i've read. Almost like India is trying to perpetuate, but not update an olde design.  The Savage, while it is 20 years old, is comparably modern, and the belt drive, IMO, puts it miles ahead in drivability.  Better drivability and reliability wins !

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 11:47:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Teutonic Twin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.