Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery Charging (Read 3 times)
Mike

Battery Charging
10/10/05 at 08:43:56

Know this sounds dumb, but what is the easiest way to jump the battery?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Battery Charging
Reply #1 - 10/10/05 at 09:23:07

jump it with your car(not running),u may have to take seat and side panels off.

this explains everything pretty good, Help!!   Savage Dead!

IP Logged
mikeo

Reply #2 - 10/10/05 at 12:32:14

How do you get to the battery terminals?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/10/05 at 13:25:10

The easy way to see how it goes together is to remove the seat - access to the important side of the battery is behind the tool cover - here you may can access the positive terminal enough - I have used a small clip on wire here and ground to the foot peg mount to slow charge (2 amp or less). If your battery is drop'n charge it would be a real good idea to remove it and check the water in each cell.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/10/05 at 21:13:02

Hint...When messing with the battery...always disconnect the ground on the left side first.  That keeps surprises at a minimum Smiley

My battery ran down completely a couple weeks ago, and I thought "WTF", but when I looked at the thing it was 90% dry.  One cell was almost empty.  My bad....$#@!&*^%

Being cheap, I went in the house, got some bottled water, and filled that puppy up.  Guess what!  After it sat for a few minutes, the bike started slowly, but after running for a few minutes it has been doing fine ever since.  The battery is 3 years old, too.

Don't forget to check the battery levels.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 10/11/05 at 03:37:49

Good job on bringing the battery back to life! But, most things I've read/heard regarding m/c battery maintenance recommend distilled water for re-filling the cells rather than bottled or tap H2O ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 10/11/05 at 04:20:21

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Hint...When messing with the battery...always disconnect the ground on the left side first.  That keeps surprises at a minimum Smiley
Don't forget to check the battery levels.

I absolutely agree !
If, while disconnecting the negative post, I accidentally touch the chassis with the wrench, nothing happens. But if I do so while disconnecting the positive (with negative still connected) the the wrench shorts the battery !!! And guess who's actually holding the tool in his hands?  :'(

I am looking at fitting a cigarette lighter plug thing somewhere, fused, so that should I need something (from jumping the battery to recharging my cellphone) I have a plug available.

For trickle charging the battery, I have found a 1000 mA 3-12V DC power adapter (the kind you buy 'one size fits all' for recharging anything from Dremel drills to kids' radio controlled toys) just set it on +12V, get the polarity right, and it'll trickle charge at a nominal 800mA (more or less 10W) continuous.
Cheesy
Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 10/11/05 at 08:49:03

There is a very good avise  in "tips and tricks" - Just attach a 8" piece of 10 or 8 gauge wire to the "hot" terminal and insolate the free end. Route the cable so it is easy accessable.You can use this end for charging or jump-starting the bike. I have this mod. on every one of my Savages.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Conway
2005 No Login

Reply #8 - 10/11/05 at 09:17:46

Battery Tender Jr,

For $30 one time you never have to have a dead battery again, I just attached the pigtail connector to the battery and its a quick plugin (2 hours gives me a green light)  Grin

http://www.batterytender.com/

IP Logged
mew7789
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/11/05 at 12:22:28

I replaced the short bolt on the positive terminal with a long one. Add a nut above the terminal so that it can be tightened. This gives me access for charging/jumping. I made this mod after trying to push start my bike and merely dragging black marks on the asphalt.  I just installed a new Maint Free Gel battery. My last battery cracked and ran acid down the chassis leaving a trail of rust behind. Caught a rock right through that little inspection port. Murphey's law at work again.

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/11/05 at 12:47:39

Installing a 12 v "socket" or cig lighter type receptcle works great ,I use mine all the time. you can buy  one ready to for about $6 at any auto parts store. Then mount it in you position of choice. Mounted on the left shock mount next to the keyed ignition switch is nice because it keeps the wires short and you can plug in your phone while you ride to charge it without takin it off of your belt.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 15:30:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Charging

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.