Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sidecar (Read 6 times)
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Sidecar
09/29/05 at 12:15:28

Has anyone put a sidecar on a Savage yet?
Any help out there?
My son is looking for cheap transportation to commute to work next summer while home from school.  Sometimes he'll need to carry a passanger. He is tall and sits on the pillion pad when riding my savage.
I thought a sidecar might be cool.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Sidecar
Reply #1 - 09/29/05 at 12:49:06

forward controls,and saddle bags would be less expensive than the side car.there is a savage with a sidecar in the gallery,but i dont think they make a direct fit bolt on one for the savage.

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #2 - 09/29/05 at 16:48:42

Talked to the folks at Velorex sidecars.  They do not think the Velorex will go on the Savage very easily.  The struts are set up for 1 1/2 in tubes and the single down tube on the Savage is 2 1/2 in. and would require a specially fabricated connection.  I am looking at a Voyager Trike kit to make a 3 wheeler out of my S40.

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/29/05 at 17:23:41

the savage seems awful small for a sidecar ....but I would like to see a savage trike.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 09/29/05 at 17:34:09

There are some in the gallery on Bert's site. They should be Ok as I think only the forum is down, but I have not verified this. Over a year ago there was one for sale in the Seattle WA area. The bike had been modified to look like a period English Bike. Same wheel size F/R gaiters on the forks, different fenders, etc.. Our 650 should pull a car OK. In WA state it takes a different endorsement on your license to ride a side car/trike rig. They do have a pay for class however to train you over there.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 09/29/05 at 17:36:05

I think there was a Savage trike on e-bay not too long ago. Seems like an outfit in Florida does them. Puruse thads in the back of the cycle magazines or get a copy of Walneck's cycle trader catalog.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #6 - 09/29/05 at 20:05:30

marty62253 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

R U ready to part over $1,000 for that side car  ??? and lots of adjusting and test ride it until it is right  Undecided I saw a bike with side car on the freeway the other day; it looks cool but the poor guy have to manenuver through traffic like a turtle  Roll Eyes. That took all the fun out of riding bike  :'(

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 09/29/05 at 21:05:42

marty62253 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Any help out there?
My son is looking for cheap transportation to commute to work next summer while home from school.  Sometimes he'll need to carry a passanger. He is tall and sits on the pillion pad when riding my savage.

It's been done, but the big question is why.  The Savage is a screaming little lightweight Thumper.  While it can handle a sidecar, adding such would run $3K or more.

You ride a motorcycle, you take curves by countersteering.

You DRIVE a hack (motorcycle+sidecar) and must steer through curves.

I have read that motorcyclists get into trouble driving a hack because their habits are to ride instead of drive.

If I were to consider a hack I would keep my Savage for solo riding and purchase a used hack.  http://www.cycletrader.com currently has 70+ ads listed if you simply put "sidecar" into the keyword box.  The Urals have a reverse gear and leading link forks and are designed to be a part of a hack.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 13:08:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sidecar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.