Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
savage racer (Read 5 times)
Commando_Al
Ex Member

savage racer
09/28/05 at 12:00:03

Finally have my old triumph squared away, and am working on my Savage special.

1) Have any of you tried to raise the compression on one of these?

2) Also what size carb is good to use? I want to go with a Mikuni.

3) Where do you guys get used parts? I didn't see much on ebay, and I need a clutch cover.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: savage racer
Reply #1 - 09/28/05 at 14:16:36

Welcome to the group!  There are much better carb gurus than I so I'll defer to them on that issue.  For parts and such you may want to take a peek at the Best Sources for Savage Parts post in the Technical Corner.  Just don't post anything in it unless it's a contribution to the document.  Questions and discussion go here in the Rubber Side Down.  Don't forget the search facility on the site.  It works pretty well and there's a lot of info already compiled.  Just be sure to use a way-back setting greater than the default of 7 days.  I use 500 to be sure.

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 09/29/05 at 14:38:40

Hi Commando_Al,
my first piece of advice would be...
see if you can squeeze a DR750 engine in the frame, that engine is definitely powerful!
...or an 800 for that matter...

Else, do some healthy head porting, replace japanese carb for proper Dell'Orto (off a wrecked italian bike) or even a Bing (off a BMW) I have never worked on a jap carb but if most classic tuners use Dell'Ortos on classic cars&bikes (European ones of course) then there must be a reason. And a K&N or similar filter.

Exhaust: ask around on track days and see what the racers prefer, it's a matter of backpressure else the bike will burp all over the place but will actually be slower.

Change the belt drive to chain so you can play around with the final drive ratio, even adding or subtracting just one tooth from the front sprocket can change the ''feel''.

Move the footpegs a little more to the rear, improves handling in tight bends considerably.

Try to ensure tire size is as similar as possible front&rear, it helps ''feel'' the bike. Also, good grippy ''wet weather'' tires, any old man can ride on semislicks... until it gets a little cloudy or dewy in the morning...

Make the bike lighter... stop eating all those burgers and shave off a few pounds Grin Grin Grin
(that's the advice they gave ME!!!)
(sorry, no FAT smiley here)

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Commando_Al
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/30/05 at 09:09:24

Any of you guys seen this?

savage_cafe_1

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 09/30/05 at 09:31:02

Looks more like a street fighter...

and there was this one on eaby...

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/30/05 at 15:20:39

Commando_Al wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

savage_cafe_1

It's sad that there's not a market for bikes like that 'cause I'd love to have one. There's still a loyal following for the Yamaha SR500 & 600 on the Thumper Page website. I wish I knew how he relocated those footpegs. Been thinking about that & how to do it.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Commando_Al
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/30/05 at 15:25:09

To be honest, I'm just going to a different frame.

IP Logged
Mambo
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/30/05 at 15:31:28

Commando_Al wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

savage_cafe_1
darn, this looks great.

Some french guy's selling something close to that (but with brand new Triumph).
http://www.mecatwin.com/en/motos/triumph/index.htm

IP Logged
Commando Al

Reply #8 - 10/01/05 at 07:04:50

The tank on that is super sweet. I heard there's a company in France making race parts for the Thruxton. I have a Hinckley Daytona that I ride daily, and when the time comes to change out, I'm getting a Thruxton. Of course, since I hope to hit 100k on the Daytona, it'll be a while.

Back to the Savage, I have an Triumph/BSA wet frame that I had intended to use for the Savage, but the engine's too tall. I saw one set up that way, but the guy put the engine in crooked so it would fit. If I wanted a slanted cylinder, I'd get a DR650 motor instead.

I have a GS750 frame also, and I'm thinking of using that. It's tall enough, but I'd likely need to cut it up to shorten the wheelbase. This project should be done by the time my kid's out of college (he's three months old).

http://nort_comm.tripod.com/elias/image/029.jpg

IP Logged
Commando Al

Reply #9 - 10/01/05 at 07:08:43

Sort of off-topic, but speaking of DR650's there's a DR650-based chopper in the latest issue of The Horse. Super-homemade, and possibly of interest to the Suzuki thumper enthusiast.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 10:43:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › savage racer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.