Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Apehanger cables (Read 14 times)
threezukes
Ex Member

Apehanger cables
09/27/05 at 07:02:29

After waiting a week without a bike, the custom bike shop that had my bike finally called me and said that they couldn't find any cables for my bike.  

I did some searching and found this post, but nobody really answered his question..

I was thinking that the link below will work as a clutch cable

and this as a throttle cable
http://www.cyclecustomizing.com/products/stainless_steel_and_black_vinyl-enca...

I tried barnett clutches, but there was no link to order online.

tarheel365 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
i have a some questions....

im planning on goin the ape hanger route as well....I like the look WD's bike.

can i use any brake line as long as it has 12mm banjo fittings?

are these the correct throttle cables for the savage? http://www.cyclecustomizing.com/products/specialty-universal_throttle_cables_...

and where can i find a longer clutch cable?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Apehanger cables
Reply #1 - 09/27/05 at 08:18:31

This link goes over a lot of stuff,  including making your own cables.  Also, som machine shops will make cables.  You just need to tell them the lengths and show them the ends you need.

http://www.hondachopper.com/Manual.htm

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/28/05 at 10:32:27

There are several custom cable shops around the country... I know there aren't any companies  making cables specifically for the Savage any longer than they come o.e  .  I know this sounds scarry but the next time you see an H.D. "biker"  w/ apehangers ask him where he had his cables done. most h.d shops carry extended cables for their bars have you tried them yet?

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/28/05 at 17:04:47

The custom shop that I took my bike to deals mostly with Harleys,  so if the HD cables fit I'm sure the mech would have told me.  But he did say that he would order a set for a different Suzuki bike and see how they fit.  I gotta take my bike back this weekend to check it out.  

If that doesn't work out my only other option is to get something online.  Right now I'm in Japan,  but I have an APO address so its pretty easy to order stuff from the U.S.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 09/28/05 at 17:09:52

threezukes wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
After waiting a week without a bike, the custom bike shop that had my bike finally called me and said that they couldn't find any cables for my bike.  

I did some searching and found this post, but nobody really answered his question..

I was thinking that the link below will work as a clutch cable

and this as a throttle cable
http://www.cyclecustomizing.com/products/stainless_steel_and_black_vinyl-enca...

I tried barnett clutches, but there was no link to order online.

Tell me exactly what you want, length wise, for each cable you  need, and the model year of your bike (Savage I assume) and I will check on some custom Barnett cables for you.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 09/29/05 at 13:53:44

If you need long cables, try the nearest Moto Guzzi dealer and inquire about throttle and clutch cables for the ''850/1000 California''. It is Guzzi's version of the Electra Glide and has an even wider set of bars, plust a transverse V-twin vs. Harley's longitudinal V-twin.
The cables have got to be very long.

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/30/05 at 11:53:38

where can you get the eletric  ???.contorls wire from cuz they will not fit with a 12 inch rise ???

shawn

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 09/30/05 at 12:07:50

I think you probably have to make those yourself.

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/01/05 at 06:47:48

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Tell me exactly what you want, length wise, for each cable you  need, and the model year of your bike (Savage I assume) and I will check on some custom Barnett cables for you.

Thanks, but I won't be able to get around to pulling the tank and measuring the cables until I get back from a 5 day tour that I'm going on in less then a week from now.  I was hoping to get the ape hangers on before I leave but it doesn't look like thats gonna happen.  Still looking foward to going though,  just hope my bike can take all the riding and camping   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 10/07/05 at 07:38:42

Apehangers...

I don't understand, why modify such an agile little bike and make it wider than it is long?
Shocked

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 10/07/05 at 08:54:00

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Apehangers...

I don't understand, why modify such an agile little bike and make it wider than it is long?
Shocked

Maurizio

I don't think apehangers make it any wider than the buckhorns; just higher.  Now drag bars might be a bit wider.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 10/07/05 at 11:52:20

I put drag bars on mine.  I cut it from a steel pipe.  They are longer than normal... boy, I thought I could manhandle it with the buckhorns, but now it is just silly...

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #12 - 10/07/05 at 12:01:54

i put these on my bike...the top one.

they handle great,and they dont hit your phucking knees when u do a u-turn Grin like the buckhorns did.

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/07/05 at 12:20:34

Torque -

Did you use new risers with those bars?  

Did the riding position change much?

Thanks, David

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #14 - 10/10/05 at 10:59:02

i used the stock risers,the riding position improved greatly ,it dosent feel like a sportbike at all.

there only 30 bucks at scootworks Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 16:58:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Apehanger cables

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.