Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help!!   Savage Dead! (Read 13 times)
FlyNavy2005
Ex Member

Help!!   Savage Dead!
10/02/05 at 16:33:47

Hi!
So I've had my suzki vz800 for a couple years now, and just bought my wife a 2000 savage as a wedding present.  Here's the problem:

Last week, I brought it to base (I'm in the navy) and got ID tags and such for it.  Rode it the 5 mi home, parked it, and took out the key (and put it in the key drawer).

She went to start it tonight, and... nothing.  When the key goes to ON, the nuetral and head lights dont come on.  Obviously we're not getting any electrical power.  Tried multiple times, tried peering around for the cause, ...nothing.

Any ideas?
The only thing I've done to it since parking it is add the new registration/insurance papers to the toolbox area, and I know for an absolute FACT that the key was not left in the ON position in the garage: it was definately in the key-drawer.  So, self-induced dead battery shouldnt be a factor.

The bike has run perfectly since I bought it a couple months ago.  It hasnt been ridden often, but when it does get used, it has always started right up, no problems or anything....  all the more reason why I'm stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Matt Allan

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Help!!   Savage Dead!
Reply #1 - 10/02/05 at 16:48:53

check the connections under the seat, then the battery connection. sounds like a minor difficulity

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 10/02/05 at 16:57:53

FlyNavy2005 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
So, self-induced dead battery shouldnt be a factor.

It could be if you turned the key clockwise when you removed it. This would leave the parking light on, possibly killing your battery.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 10/02/05 at 17:13:42

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
It could be if you turned the key clockwise when you removed it. This would leave the parking light on, possibly killing your battery.

Yup, I did that once.  The taillight stays on and runs down the battery.  It doesn't hurt to check the connectors under the seat and tank though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/02/05 at 17:20:16

FUSES??????!!!!

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/02/05 at 22:52:30

I would recharge the battery and try that 1st.  Tighten the connections like sluggo suggested and see if it cranks.  If the lights arent coming on then check the quick disconnects under the seat and the fuses.  

I honestly think its just a drained battery.  Maybe the battery is old too.  Give it a charge and see what happens.  Ps dont charge it with anything over 2 amps because I heard it will shorten the battery life and possibly boil the acid.  good luck

IP Logged
Mambo
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/03/05 at 01:32:13

Maybe you've made a mistake and lock your ignition in "park mode".
So your battery's discharged

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #7 - 10/03/05 at 02:21:02

Hello and welcome flynavy  Smiley

I tend to agree with all previous posts..check connections under seat and tank...check fuses..but first charge up the battery and try it, I once left ignition in park and drained the battery.

Why is there a park position anyway? Don't know of anyone that actually uses it as it was designed to be used.

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
FlyNavy2005
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/03/05 at 17:32:53

"Ps dont charge it with anything over 2 amps because I heard it will shorten the battery life and possibly boil the acid. "

...So does that mean I shouldnt just jump it with my car?
...or my Marauder?  2 amp seems like a pretty low current flow, would I have to buy some sort of special charger to do that?

Thanks for all your help so far everybody! Smiley

-Matt

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 10/03/05 at 17:35:12

FlyNavy2005 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
"Ps dont charge it with anything over 2 amps because I heard it will shorten the battery life and possibly boil the acid. "

...So does that mean I shouldnt just jump it with my car?
...or my Marauder?  2 amp seems like a pretty low current flow, would I have to buy some sort of special charger to do that?

Thanks for all your help so far everybody! Smiley

-Matt

a quik jump start should be ok.  i've done it to mine several times, that along with push starting. between the two,  i'll take a jump start any day of the week.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/03/05 at 20:29:37

I wouldnt recommend it.  Even if u jump start it or push start it, it will have to run awhile to fully charge the battery.  I am not sure exactly how long.   Then next time u wouldnt have to do that again and leave u possibly stranded.

just my two cents,  if u have to jump it, try the bike first, prob safer.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 10/03/05 at 20:35:49

jim r is correct about a fully run down batt.

i use the jump or push method after i've left the ignition on for a few hours.  which i've done quite a few times. opps

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 10/03/05 at 21:07:25

A decent trickle tender designed for a bike battery is a great investment and not that expensive.  I use the Battery Tender Jr. and it's done a great job for me.  If I were to do it over I might consider one of the waterproof versions but this one's been fine and the price is decent.  I've seen 'em anywhere from $23 to $45 (with most between $29 and $39).  I'm not positive how robust the Savage's charging system is in the first place, so I occasionally (maybe every 3-4 months) put the tender on it and leave it overnight.  My Odyssey battery is pretty stout but I figure the occasional top-off would only help.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/04/05 at 04:52:34

If you do deciede to jump it with your car,  I've heard that it is ok as long as the car isn't running.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/04/05 at 23:31:40

I have heard of the battery tender jr and it had awesome reviews.  My car battery died a year ago and I went to sears and got a 2,5,10 am charger. works great

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 11:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help!!   Savage Dead!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.