Making a baffle (Read 29 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Making a baffle
Reply #15 - 10/15/05 at 23:50:35

Hey Greg, I have the baffle that came in my RAASK. also the last foot or so I cut off of it when I decided to use it as a head pipe for a HD FXD glasspac. it was shown as a Screamin Eagle set but I think it may have been misrepresented. In any case I am happy with the looks and sound. The nice part is it slides between the inner and outer tubes on the RAASK so doesn't need a clamp. I had a heat shield from a sportster muffler I tried that is held on with 2 hose clamps, I just got a larger one and went around the Savage bracket to hold the muffler in position.  Used my SuperTrapp heat shield to provide some shielding when I'm stopped. works great for me and isn't too loud (rated at 80 dbA on the HD), and has to have less restriction than the stock one. It has a center baffle that directs the exhaust through the packing, but fair sized holes in the mesh. Bottom line it (the baffle and last foot of pipe) is yours if you want it. Let me know. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #16 - 10/16/05 at 03:03:28

IMO Back pressure is a bad thing if you are looking for performance.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #17 - 10/16/05 at 06:25:42

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

Clive W  Cheesy

im with u on that one ,theres no need to restrict air flow, if u dont have to for noise reasons.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 10/16/05 at 09:56:01

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Hey Greg, I have the baffle that came in my RAASK. also the last foot or so I cut off of it when I decided to use it as a head pipe for a HD FXD glasspac. it was shown as a Screamin Eagle set but I think it may have been misrepresented. In any case I am happy with the looks and sound. The nice part is it slides between the inner and outer tubes on the RAASK so doesn't need a clamp. I had a heat shield from a sportster muffler I tried that is held on with 2 hose clamps, I just got a larger one and went around the Savage bracket to hold the muffler in position.  Used my SuperTrapp heat shield to provide some shielding when I'm stopped. works great for me and isn't too loud (rated at 80 dbA on the HD), and has to have less restriction than the stock one. It has a center baffle that directs the exhaust through the packing, but fair sized holes in the mesh. Bottom line it (the baffle and last foot of pipe) is yours if you want it. Let me know. Max

Hey Max.  Where have you been?  Smiley

So you wacked it off and added a muffler?  Interesting.  I'll think about your offer, but the lines of the Raask are just so sweet and clean....but no doubt, it is loud.  People don't like to ride behind me Smiley but I've been behind a lot of v-twins that were louder.  I think that it is the RPM differences that makes it seem so loud.  I wish that I could get some of the sound of the Trapp or Mac while still keeping the improved flow of the Raask....and the chrome quality, too.  We'll see....

Hey, I guess that it's getting to be more like winter up here, now.  This is our 4th season to experience here, so I guess we'll find out.  The rains are here again, finally, and I suppose there'll be snow moving into your area soon (and both sides of Portland).  Is that about right?  At any rate, let's try to set up another Thumper Cafe ride with the FSSNOC for next spring.  Sound like an idea?  Maybe we can get the group to return when we can all get together....

....which reminds me, I had a discussion with Jack (#000) and he assured me that you'll get your "Thumper Bucks" for getting Julie and I in the group.  Don't forget.  You should get an $8 discount, I believe.

Anyway, keep in touch.  You now my direct address.  I still want to see your famous "Bagger".

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 10/16/05 at 10:02:14

Clive W  Cheesy

Okay, now you're my guru on this flow stuff, so keep me straight here.  When you say performance, are you talking low end torque or horsepower?  I thought back pressure helped with the low end, which I really like.  But I also like the fact that I blow by my spouse with her Trapp once I get her wound up (have to keep the spouse in her place, ya know).  So, I figured that back pressure was good and bad.  What's the happy medium?

BTW - that exhaust port gets adjusted this winter  8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 10/16/05 at 10:05:17

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
im with u on that one ,theres no need to restrict air flow, if u dont have to for noise reasons.

Point noted by you and Clive.  But isn't some needed to get the optimum efficiency?  If you didn't care about noise, would there be better performance with no pipe at all?

...of course, I'd hate to burn my mud flap, too  Grin

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #21 - 10/17/05 at 06:23:33

As a general rule go for minimum back pressure and rejet to suit.

As far as I know Your Raask is double skinned with an i.d. of 38mm at the head. Question is there a step from 38 to something bigger before the end of the pipe ?
If so what is the larger i.d. ? and how far from the head ?(measured along the pipe center line). Also how far from this step to the pipe end ?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #22 - 10/17/05 at 06:26:44

Hey Greg

Exhaust port, measure twice cut once.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 10/21/05 at 06:52:17

As a general rule go for minimum back pressure and rejet to suit.

As far as I know Your Raask is double skinned with an i.d. of 38mm at the head. Question is there a step from 38 to something bigger before the end of the pipe ?
If so what is the larger i.d. ? and how far from the head ?(measured along the pipe center line). Also how far from this step to the pipe end ?

Clive W  Cheesy

I would guess that there is no step in the pipe.  The exhaust ID is bigger than stock, and some where (about 16-18 inches) from the end there is some packing.  The length of the packing is about the same as the length of the baffle.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 10/21/05 at 13:51:25

Check out this link for drag pipes... which is essentially what the rask is...

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

Greg,  from my understanding, backpressure is good for low end and middle, but not so good for top end.  I have doent he thumbscrew trick with my cherry bomb, sans hole...  Seems to work fine...  However, With the cherry bomb and KN  pod, I noticed a significant improvement in the top end, and a little in the low/middle range.  If I slowly juice it,  my savage really takes off once the main jet takes over...

So, why does backpressure help the lwo and middle?  Not sure I understand this 100%, but "it helps with exhaust gas scavenging."  In my head, this should only apply to twins with a 2-1 pipe....   ???

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 10/21/05 at 15:24:53

Back pressure controls the flow through the cylinder better at low end is all that I can figure.

I just found some good possibilities in the J&P Cycles catalog, though.  Unfortunately a catalog doesn't tell you anything except size.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #26 - 10/22/05 at 03:04:07

On KLX I have a 36" long 1,5/8" i.d. header followed by three steps up in diameter to a 2"i.d. Glasspack which has a 1,5/8"outlet.

On the savage this translates to 43" long 1.5"i.d. header if you like noise, stepping up to a 2" glasspack with a 1.5" outlet if you don't.

This pipe would be well matched with a 38mm Amal.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 10/22/05 at 07:51:27

On KLX I have a 36" long 1,5/8" i.d. header followed by three steps up in diameter to a 2"i.d. Glasspack which has a 1,5/8"outlet.

On the savage this translates to 43" long 1.5"i.d. header if you like noise, stepping up to a 2" glasspack with a 1.5" outlet if you don't.

Clive W  Cheesy

And what if I open the exhaust port?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #28 - 10/23/05 at 01:26:40

Open EX PO more power.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 10/23/05 at 06:44:17

Clive W  Cheesy

So your inlet and output are the same.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 10:44:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Making a baffle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.