Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Making a baffle
09/25/05 at 07:40:09

My Raask pipe came with a baffle (they called it experimental), and after a few rides, I burned it up Tongue

The original was built out of a steel screen material that was formed into a tube shape and packed with fiberglas.  After a while all the fiberglas burned up I ended up with a pipe that kinda had a swish sound coming out.  My Raask had a "lisp"

So I have created the "core" of a new baffle.  This one is nearly the same length as the original and made from 3/8" rod.  The pin is to center the baffle end in the pipe.

This makes the pipe have a deeper sound, but does anyone have suggestions on how I can modify this for more sound reduction AND improved performance?  All thoughts welcome....

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Making a baffle
Reply #1 - 09/25/05 at 10:56:43

What are we dealing with here?   The Raask appears to be a straight pipe, 1.75" OD, 1.5" ID.  Is there anything inside or is it clear?  If clear.....

My fishtail has a baffle, but was, according to the spouse, a bit loud.  To obtain a sound reduction I too am making an internal baffle.  My pipe is close to a 1.5" ID going back quite a few inches.  I'm starting with a copper plumbing piece, a 1.5" to 1" reducer.  I was using an aluminum mesh cone on the inside, but that is not working.  I'm going to be soldering on a piece of 1" copper pipe, maybe 12 inches or so, and a second reducer, making it a 15" long dogbone shape.  Drill lots of holes in the 1" pipe and maybe wrap it with a fiberglass mat.

WWW   IP Logged
Mambo
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/25/05 at 23:37:23

To improve perf you must find where to place the 1st part of the baffle.
In fact the exhaust gaz must "bounce" on the baffle, then a wave will return to the valves and then bounce again just before the valves will open...
So you'll have some "pump" effect (that suck gaz out of the cylindre).

The easiest way to do do a baffle is to use 2 washers and a small tube.
Sold the washers to the ends of the tube (the washers's inside holes must fit the tube), and drill holes everywhere in the tube.

Then, put it in you exhaust and make some test to see how much deep you should put it in to have bests perfs.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 09/26/05 at 06:20:59

Okay.  These are some ideas.  I was wondering about drilling holes in the rod and adding some washers to it.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 09/26/05 at 09:10:40

What about steel wool instead of fiberglass?  Shouldbn't be getting any moisture in there...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 09/26/05 at 19:55:26

Doesn't matter what you pack it with, it degrades and blows out in little dust particles. Kind of cool at night, quite the spark show. Well, unless you can get your hands on some Navy surplus or USFS surplus woven asbestos firefighting blanket. I DO have some of those squirreled away somewhere from my wildfire supression days.

At least you don't have a Vance and Hines, Hard Chrome, or Roadhouse pipe...the baffles have a tendency to shoot out at a high rate of speed. Usually with Kojak behind you.  Angry

Swing by a shop that carries V-Twin Mfg parts, you can order decent baffles, cheaper than you can make them.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 09/27/05 at 08:13:01

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
At least you don't have a Vance and Hines, Hard Chrome, or Roadhouse pipe...the baffles have a tendency to shoot out at a high rate of speed. Usually with Kojak behind you.  Angry

I've heard of that happening on the occasional HK pipe.  Hasn't happened to me on my V* 1100 yet...  Luck?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 09/28/05 at 03:01:27

When I go for the annual M.O.T. test I fit an insert in the end of the silencer to quieten KLX down a bit.
I make these out of aluminium, machining the o.d. to fit i.d. (50.8mm on KLX) of silencer exit, with a 12mm hole in the insert (Bellmouth shape on engine side) KLX is quiet as a church mouse.
The insert I use for normal road use is 40 mm and makes quite a difference.
This might work on the Savage,34mm hole (with a radius on the engine side).
More to come in a day or so.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/28/05 at 10:26:45

LOUD  pipes save lives!!!!  LOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/02/05 at 07:57:40

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Doesn't matter what you pack it with, it degrades and blows out in little dust particles. Kind of cool at night, quite the spark show. Well, unless you can get your hands on some Navy surplus or USFS surplus woven asbestos firefighting blanket. I DO have some of those squirreled away somewhere from my wildfire supression days.

Swing by a shop that carries V-Twin Mfg parts, you can order decent baffles, cheaper than you can make them.
-WD

Those are some ideas....

Of course, I could buy one cheaper, but then again considering that I'm getting paid to make mine, and the materials are free, I'd say it is economically prudent to make one anyway.... Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 10/02/05 at 08:04:44

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I've heard of that happening on the occasional HK pipe.  Hasn't happened to me on my V* 1100 yet...  Luck?

I know of one other Savage (once in this forum) that blew out the Raask baffle too.  The bad part is that IF the baffle is installed, it also retains the regular packing material in the pipe with the same bolt.  If the baffle blows out, you can also lose the other packing.

As Raask told me, the baffle was experimental (they wouldn't sell it unless I understood that)....and now I'm looking to make a better sounding one...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 10/02/05 at 08:05:56

savage777 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Only so long as I don't get shot because they heard me coming  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 10/02/05 at 14:26:41

savage777 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Except that cagers usually don't hear you unless you are either beside or in front of them.  Sometimes moving alongside one startles 'em into making jerky lurching movements.  It's really depressing that they're licensed.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/03/05 at 12:06:41

OH I know only too well..... I just listened to that every day from my days workin at an H.D dealer.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 10/14/05 at 07:56:23

How do I know that I have enough back pressure?

If my bike is running and I put my hand over the exhaust opening (while it is still cool), I can clearly feel the suction of the back pressure after the exhaust valve closes.

Any ideas?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 15:02:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Making a baffle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.