Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas Tank Problem (Read 4 times)
Michael
Ex Member

Gas Tank Problem
09/25/05 at 04:33:08

Hi all:

As i was out for a pleasure ride this week, I noticed a strange thump every time I hit a bump. I pulled over and discovered what i thought to be the bolts loose on the gas tank, where it mounts by the seat. It seemed to have a lot of play in that particular area. I thought "No Biggie" I will tighten the bolts.

I decided yesterday that I would pull the seat and tighten the two said bolts. To my dismay, it was not the bolts. It seems the weld has broke, where the bracket connects to the tank. It broke off flush with the tank, with hardly an edge at all.

Has this happened to anyone else? I find it very odd, as i don't ride any particularly bumpy roads, and avoid potholes, manholes, etc. The bike is a year 2000, with only 10,000 miles. Perhaps it was defective.

I really don't want to have to replace the tank, as price, and color match are my two main concerns. The paint on this tank is mint.

I know nothing about welding. To those of you that do, is it possible to weld this? Is the metal too thin under the tank? It seems fairly clean, with no rust at all.  I am hoping to go this route, as the riding season is all but over here, and i will be pulling the tank in a month or so to do the oil leak/plug fix.

Opinions welders? Thanks!

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Gas Tank Problem
Reply #1 - 09/25/05 at 06:56:53

I am in the middle of preping my frame for paint,which means i have to grind all the welds down,and i can definately believe that your bracket broke ,i cant beleive the savage stays together with such crappy welds,it seems to me like a three year old did my frame!

But u can weld the gas tank,i would use a mig welder.But make sure there are no  fumes left in the tank

i would have a local welder do it though,because its his fault if he ruins the tank.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 09/25/05 at 07:15:06

Michael wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Hi all:

As i was out for a pleasure ride this week, I noticed a strange thump every time I hit a bump. I pulled over and discovered what i thought to be the bolts loose on the gas tank, where it mounts by the seat. It seemed to have a lot of play in that particular area. I thought "No Biggie" I will tighten the bolts.

I decided yesterday that I would pull the seat and tighten the two said bolts. To my dismay, it was not the bolts. It seems the weld has broke, where the bracket connects to the tank. It broke off flush with the tank, with hardly an edge at all.

Has this happened to anyone else? I find it very odd, as i don't ride any particularly bumpy roads, and avoid potholes, manholes, etc. The bike is a year 2000, with only 10,000 miles. Perhaps it was defective.

I really don't want to have to replace the tank, as price, and color match are my two main concerns. The paint on this tank is mint.

I know nothing about welding. To those of you that do, is it possible to weld this? Is the metal too thin under the tank? It seems fairly clean, with no rust at all.  I am hoping to go this route, as the riding season is all but over here, and i will be pulling the tank in a month or so to do the oil leak/plug fix.

Opinions welders? Thanks!

cheers

Michael

That's different.  I have to ask, "Why?"  Did you do any mods like raising the front of the seat?

Just remove the tank.  Remove the petcock and gas cap.  Take it to a small welding shop.  Shouldn't be a problem to fix....$20 or so.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 09/25/05 at 07:51:10

Put the tank on a car exhaust for a couple of minutes, gets rid of the fumes.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/25/05 at 20:42:20

Thanks guys, for the quick responses. I too am quite shocked at the fact that this weld broke.

To answer Greg's question. I have not modified or done the seat lift as of yet, but planned on doing it soon.  The bolts are firmly in place, and not a bit loose.
Maybe the fact that i didn't do the seat mod is a contributing factor. I find myself up against the tank far too often, and have to keep sliding back. I am about 200 pounds, so perhaps all the pressure of my weight has broken a weld, which was inferior.

The tank has only been off the bike no more than 3 times, as far as I know, for spark plug changes.

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 09/26/05 at 06:45:27

Michael wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thanks guys, for the quick responses. I too am quite shocked at the fact that this weld broke.

To answer Greg's question. I have not modified or done the seat lift as of yet, but planned on doing it soon.  The bolts are firmly in place, and not a bit loose.
Maybe the fact that i didn't do the seat mod is a contributing factor. I find myself up against the tank far too often, and have to keep sliding back. I am about 200 pounds, so perhaps all the pressure of my weight has broken a weld, which was inferior.

The tank has only been off the bike no more than 3 times, as far as I know, for spark plug changes.

cheers

Michael

Considering the portion of your anatomy that is in contact with the tank, I doubt you broke it Smiley

Forget the seat mod unless you need to change the angle.  You'll still get monkey butt.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 09/26/05 at 07:19:52

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Forget the seat mod unless you need to change the angle.  You'll still get monkey butt.

True but I think a lot of folks find the modified angle more comfortable.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/02/05 at 09:02:45

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
True but I think a lot of folks find the modified angle more comfortable.

They might, or then it could be imagined.  Me, I fought back my skepticism and the made the change.  I found no benefit.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 10/02/05 at 10:42:09

my gn 400 had the same problem.. it was welded then i put a tank sealer in it.. worked great.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 10/02/05 at 11:49:59

That is the second tank that I have heard about that has broken there. There was one about a year ago on a different board that had that mounting tab break off. Luck with the repair.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 23:19:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Tank Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.