Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
carb mod (Read 6 times)
sean franchi

carb mod
09/21/05 at 08:57:02

once i shave the spacer and put in either a 152.5 or 155 main what will that do to my gas mileage ?
currently getting 70 mpg on a stock carb with some type of harley pipe with little baffle.

also backfires consistently on roll off, unless i shift and roll off real gingerly. isn't this when a change in the pilot jet might be in order ? the bike hass plenty of torque allready even with the stock main jet.
franch

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: carb mod
Reply #1 - 09/21/05 at 10:47:20

You'll want to adjust your idle mixture also.  That's the screw on the right/starboard side of the carb (often hidden under a plug with a small hole in it, possibly with a dab of white paint on it).  That controls your low end.  You shouldn't need to change your pilot jet unless you can't adjust your idle mixture enough with the current pilot jet.  The white spacer adjusts the mid-range and the main jet will cover the top end.  The white spacer and idle mixture adjustments should reduce the backfiring considerably.  Please do some searches on this site and read the previous threads on backfiring and rejetting.  They are more thorough can I could hope to be and this topic has been covered very completely in previous threads.  Be sure to set the number of days to search back to something greater than the default of 7.  I usually use 500.  I'm personally happy with a 152.5 main jet.  So far as mileage, you'll just have to see.  Everyone's is different.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Any other kind of carb???
Reply #2 - 09/22/05 at 04:55:53

???
I am quite familiar with Dell'Orto carbs, which are the stardard thing on Italian bikes, and Webers, which were standard on track spec Ducatis until they converted to fuel injection, so can I fit a 34-36-40mm single barrel Dell'Orto in place of the "Mikuni whatever"?
???
Dell'Ortos have an idle screw/jet, a mixture screw/jet and a big "guillotine" instead of the round butterfly valve in the carb. No needles or jets like Amals etc.

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: carb mod
Reply #3 - 09/22/05 at 09:30:57

One of the nice things about a simple single cylinder engine is that you can put most anything on it.  For a stock engine the 36mm would be the best all-around performing carb.

The necessary details are:

- be sure the mounting flange is a perfect fit for the engine side of the carb.  If the stock one does not fit then replace it with one that does, so you have a perfect air tight fit.  

-Then you go to the throttle cable...will the stock cable work or does that need to be replaced as well.  If   repacement is necessary is there one on the shelf that will work or do you need a custom cable made.

-Other than  those issues, all you have to do is select an air filter and tune the carb.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:44:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.