Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A FREE muffler (Read 14 times)
slopoke
Ex Member

A FREE muffler
09/19/05 at 09:34:02

Well, I took someone's advice on this forum and rode over to my Harley dealer to see if they had a "spare" muffler in the pile (after getting the carb rejetted).  The manager looked at my bike, then went to the back room to see what he could find.  He returned a bit later with a slashcut slip-on that he just GAVE me!  I asked how much they would charge to install it, but, of course, he said they didn't work on anything but Harleys.  SO, I thought I'd try to do it myself.  After a lot of thought and a little cussing and dinged up knuckles, I finally got to take her out last night.  BOY, what a difference!  It is low and loud.

I do have a question about it that someone might be able to answer.  When I looked through it, I could could see daylight (no doubt why it's so loud) and packing off to one side.  Has anyone ever done anything to create their own baffle, like putting steel wool inside of the muffler?  I thought if I get tired of the sound, I might like to experiment a little before getting something else, but I don't want to cause any problems either.

Can anybody help me?  Undecided

Thanks,
Slopoke

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: A FREE muffler
Reply #1 - 09/19/05 at 13:41:17

Cheesy
Hi slopoke and congrats for the new exhaust
(my being based in good ol' Europe means you'll have to bide with my "Olde Worlde English")
Anyway, the exhaust you just got is the typical European style exhaust, generally called "blow through"
It is made by one... 1.5 - 2" pipe, with lost of holes in it. It is wrapped with lots of tight glass fiber or rock wool, untli it can just be made to fit inside a larger pipe, which is the outer casing.
Imagine, thin pipe, wrapping around it, thick pipe.
What this means is that the exhaust gases blow the thin pipe, expand through the holes into the wrapping, so that's where all the high tones go. What is left is a low, mellow gurgle, which is what you hear.
Do NOT add baffles to the muffler, it's like adding shoestrings to a pair cowboy boots.
You did well to rejet the carb (how much, I'm looking to do the same, but I guess I'll have to PAY for my muffler)
By the way, have you fitted a tacho to the bike?

Regards,

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
slopoke
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/19/05 at 15:44:40

Thanks, M.

Yes, I rejetted to the recommended 152.5 + the 1/2 white spacer.  I didn't want to tackle it, so I took it to the Suzuki dealer.  They said they would tune it up once I have the new muffler on - my next trip.

I don't plan on putting a tach on..... I never tax the engine enough to require one.  I guess some people use them to know when to shift????  I learned to drive a shift stick years ago using my ears, and the habit has stuck.

I HAVE been looking for a larger gas tank to install.  I think the EN 500 would work, but it's hard to find one in my price range.  I'd hate to pay a lot and have it not work.

Have you made any mods to your bike?

S.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 09/20/05 at 05:28:55

Great job on the free muffler.  Sounds like the muffler uses perforated metal baffling.  That's normal.  My Mac does also.  The type mpescatori described above is what you'd typically find in a glasspack and does produce a very mellow bass sound.  I wouldn't normally add any baffling to an exhaust not designed for it - but I'm not an automotive engineer either.  Some folks do advocate adding a sort flapper valve in the muffler to allow you to better tailor the flow.  Mine's running quite well right now so I've decided against that for the time being.  I'm kinda the same way when it comes to a tach.  It's a fun item, not a truly useful one since I shift by sound and feel.

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/20/05 at 10:14:35

if it didnt have removeable baffles I wouldnt go stickin anything where it didnt belong. Its like he said dont ad shoestrings to cowboy boots

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 09/21/05 at 08:44:45

Which reminds me... a looong time ago (like, when dinosaurs rode in my schoolbus)  there was a retired bus driver who had rebuilt his old motorcycle "to racing spec" he liked to add, and had what he called "a street legal racing silencer"
Basically it was sometihing very close to a plain old shotgun muffler, with two little perforated trap doors towards the end, operated by a cable on the handlebars (a modified choke lever).
Close the trap doors, and he could pound his way through the neighborhood...
Open the trap doors, and he would make autumn leaves fall ! I mean, LOUD !

Could be an idea...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/22/05 at 10:37:29

you can  buy exhaust "traps" in jc. whitney for any old setup but when closed they leak like crazy once they heat up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:03:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A FREE muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.