Send Topic Print
Good price on clutch (Read 6 times)
boyett
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Santa Rosa, CA
Good price on clutch
09/19/05 at 21:25:23

I just put a new clutch in my 2000 Savage.  I've seen new clutch plates for sale on ebay supposedly only for 2005 models.  I couldn't find any differences between years so I took a chance and bought one off of ebay for the  2005.  It is in the bike now and working fine.  That said, I did see a difference.  Normally Savages have 5 disks that are the same, and one that has a larger I.D. so there is room for 2 "wave washers".  The one I got off of ebay had 6 identical plates.  I left the 2 wave washers out and put in the 6 identical plates and so far it seems to work fine.  I'm not sure what is the purpose of the wave washers.  I've put clutches on other motorcycles and they didn't use them.  I assume it could help prevent chattering, or possibly it helps keep the clutch from sticking when it is cold.  My Harley clunks loud putting it into 1st gear when it's cold because of this.  Anyone have an opinion on this?

The price of the clutch plate set on ebay is about $28 and everywhere else wanted $50-60 for one.  So it's a good deal if anyone needs a clutch.  Even though it says it's only for 2005, it seems to work fine.  Interestingly enough, the ad says for 2005 Savage (not S40 as they are named in 2005).

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Good price on clutch
Reply #1 - 09/20/05 at 11:08:03

Hey Boyett;
Did you think to measure the new and old fibre clutch plates for thickness? Did you measure the old stack compared to the new stack of six plates and no wave washers? Was it a tight fit for the basket? How many miles were on your bike when your clutch started acting up? I am just being curious about the Savage clutch because we hear a lot about them slipping.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
boyett
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Good price on clutch
Reply #2 - 09/20/05 at 21:37:04

My bike has about 15K miles on it.  I mic'd the old plates and they were about .002" shy of being at the minimum limit, so I figured that since I had the bottom torn apart to replace the cam chain, I might as well replace the clutch while I was at it.  I didn't think to measure the new plates with a micrometer, but it went together fine and didn't look like the clutch pack was any thicker than original.

- Jim

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:45:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Good price on clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.