Tail of the Dragon, 9/24 (Read 3 times)
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Re: Tail of the Dragon, 9/24
Reply #15 - 09/22/05 at 20:20:46

Cheesy  11:20 PM Here.  Mostly ready, just a few things to get together for the dogs.  Rolling out at 8 AM.  See ya Saturday. Will also check back right before I head out.  Have a nice ride to NC!! Grin

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 09/24/05 at 08:04:26

What I want to know is....where the heck were all these Savages when we lived in NC?  Geez Tongue

Y'all have fun and Ride Safe.

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #17 - 09/26/05 at 12:20:36

Wow!! absolutely wonderful trip.   I covered 1040 miles exactly in 3 days!  We headed out in the rain, lasted about 30 minutes, and had dry nice weather the rest of our time out.

Decided to take Interstate straight down to TN considering the short amount of time we had for the trip.  The S40 thumped right along at 70-75mph for 6 hours straight there and 6 hours straight back.  I have the gel seat which eliminated any vibration there and a sheepskin kept the backside dry and comfy.  The new National Cycle Extreme EX shield is excellent for highway rides (for me). Only problem I truly had was the vibration from the hand grips. just caused some tenderness and almost blistering, like digging in the garden all day with no gloves on.  Maybe some gel hand grips or better gloves with some gel will stop that problem.

Well now to the actual trip. My husband and I met up with Karen and her husband early Saturday morning and spent the day riding the 130 mile loop that includes the dragon and Cherahala. It was a wonderful day to be riding and I could not think of a better place to ride. Unfortunately I am not an owner of a digital camera, so when my pics are developed I will see about getting them digitilized. Now Karen has the gold, she and her camera may have some pics to show you all.  It was beautiful, got to ride the Cherahala Skyway early in the morning between 7-9 AM, on our way to meet up with Karen.  My hubby and I were the only ones on the entire Skyway , except maybe 5 cars.  A bear ran across the road in front of us. Amazing.  The scenery is awesome it is worth stopping at every pull off.  Planning on going back again and again!!

The dragon has been slayed!!  woo hoo, now that is a ride. It is just like a roller coaster ride. this way that way up and down.  It was fun to ride and certainly keeps you on your toes, should you choose to do some leaning vs handle bar steering.  I did forget for a moment that S40s are not sportbikes, darn those pegs get in the way you know!!! LOL. I had a few other folks say don't get out of 1st or maybe 2nd gear, your shoulders and arms will ache.  I guess maybe it is my technique over theirs, but I was in 3rd nearly the whole way and no achy arms.  But then again I like dirtbikes and maybe push the edge occassionally. Tongue  Regardless I rode within my ability which is key to safely riding the beast!!  And had fun!!

That is the nutshell version, there is truly a book to be written about this trip, so glad I was able to make.

PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #18 - 09/26/05 at 14:11:09

SmileyCongrats on slaying the Dragon! I admire those who've been able to do that Run safely ... I've read a lot about Deal's Gap and the fact that is a "Motorcycle Mecca" for Riders from all over North America ... gotta admit, I'd be chicken to give it a go ... we have some seriously twisty roads here in Nfld., but 314 sharp turns in 11 miles would freak me out! Shocked

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #19 - 09/26/05 at 15:56:53

Keep an eye on http://www.killboy.com and maybe some pictures of you will show up.

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/26/05 at 16:14:53

Hi Paula!  Glad you guys got home safely.  Grin

Our ride from NE Georgia to Fontana Village (where we stayed) was supposed to be about 150 miles.  Every map I found said that US 23 in NE GA becomes NC 28 in North Carolina, so we just had to stay on that (Fontana’s on 28 ).  

Turns out that US 23 does not, in fact, become NC 28.  Tongue

We found this out about 50 miles after we were supposed to get off 23.  So we had to double back, which turned our 150 mile ride turned into a 250 mile ride.  Ah, whoops…  Roll Eyes  (And we thought that was a serious test of endurance -- until we found out how far Paula and her husband had ridden. Shocked )

So Saturday morning, after a night of not very much sleep (still hyped up from the ride Friday), we took NC 28 to US 129, and down 129 three miles to the Tapoco Lodge, where we were meeting.  I believe that stretch of 129 is also considered part of the Dragon; if not, it should be.  Very twisty, downhill most of the way, and the pavement was in… well, questionable condition.  Okay, it terrified me.  Shocked  It scared me to the point where, when we got to the Tapoco, I actually told Paula and her husband that I wasn’t confident that I’d be able to ride the Dragon, and asked if it would it be okay if we didn’t.

And Paula and her husband, rather than roll their eyes and smack me off the back of the head, were very nice about it, agreeing that if I wasn’t sure I could do it safely, it shouldn’t be done.  

Paula’s husband, meanwhile, needed gas; and the closest place to get gas was at Deal’s Gap -- right back up that three mile stretch of 129 that I had just ridden and never wanted to see again.  It was easier this time, since it was uphill; by the time we got to Deal’s Gap I felt better about it, and thought I might actually be able to pull off a Dragon ride.  

I don’t remember exactly when I changed my mind (at Tapoco or at Deal’s Gap?) but upon telling Paula and her husband that I would, in fact, ride the Dragon, they once again did not roll their eyes and smack me in the back of the head, and did not yell “Make up your mind already!”  

They’re very nice people.  And very patient, obviously.

So we rode the Dragon, emerged unscathed, pulled off at the Overlook near the TN end, got off our bikes, looked at each other, and said, “That was it?”

Turns out it’s not so bad.  It's challenging, definitely -- but it can be ridden without any carnage ensuing. Smiley  (Although there was one guy pulling his bike out of the weeds when we got there.)

(Of course, I don’t think I hit the 30 mph speed limit for longer than 2 seconds – I kept it around 20 or thereabouts, I think, for most of the ride.  But don’t tell anyone.  Wink )

It was at the Overlook that Paula’s husband performed a truly saintly good deed, returning a dropped beer cozy to a fellow rider who was about to ride the Dragon in the other direction.  That’s why I was so nervous about riding it – I didn’t have any beer with me!

From the Overlook we continued on up 129 – straighter now, but it ran alongside a river; a beautiful ride on a sunny morning.  Made the left on 72, another left on 411, and a left on 360 (IIRC), stopped for lunch at the Cherohala Market on 165, and then rode down 165 and onto the Cherohala Skyway.  We turned off onto a forest service road, continued on a few miles, and stopped at Bald River Falls (gorgeous), took some pictures (not necessarily of each other); turned back, got back on the Skyway, and pulled off at an overlook and marveled at the view.  

Got back on the Skyway, and pulled off at another overlook a couple of miles later.  Then got back on the Skyway, and pulled off at another overlook a couple of miles later… and another… and another…  Finally it got silly, so we stopped at every two or three overlooks, or just kept riding; at the pace we were going, if we hadn’t done that, we’d still be there.

The Skyway becomes NC 143 on the NC side; we came down off the mountain and continued on a very twisty portion of 143 to US 129.  (People who know the area say there are plenty of local roads as challenging as the Dragon, and they’re not kidding. Shocked Smiley )  Headed up 129 back to Deal’s Gap, gassed up, bought t-shirts (as in been there, done that, and yes, we got the t-shirts) and called it a day, about 9 or 10 hours after we began.  

I took over 50 pictures that day.  I’ll go through them later on and post a few.  They don’t do the ride justice, though.  

GaThumper, we did see Killboy (or whomever works for him/them) – we came around a curve and saw the zoom lens aimed at us.  I hope nobody can tell from his pictures how slow I was going.  I can show people the pictures and let everyone think I’m cooler than I am.  8)

So I got to go on a great ride, and I got to ride with very cool people.  Paula, thanks again to you and your husband -- we had a blast riding with you! Grin

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/26/05 at 17:05:59

Pictures.

This is at Deal's Gap at the beginning of the day.

The Overlook at the Dragon:

The old gas station.  I love the gas prices.  Remember those days?

Bald River Falls.

Remember the guy who dropped his beer cozy while heading the other way on the Dragon?  That afternoon, there he was on the Cherohala!  (The white-haired leather guy.)

One of many beautiful views from the Skyway.

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/27/05 at 09:40:21

Dang it!  Dadgummit!  Heck!  Crap!  !@#$%^&*(...What a gorgeous ride...Ok, just moved this one up on my "to do" list...It was already pretty high up there.  Thanks for all the gorgeous pictures.  I put an email notice on killboy so I can find out when the pics go up from last weekend.  I am SO SORRY I missed this one...if you have more pics, post 'em!  Thanks.

Tom

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #23 - 09/29/05 at 09:13:56

Cool!, more pics, more PICS!  Grin

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/29/05 at 10:04:39

OK...the pics from Saturday are up from killboy http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventthumbs?event=04RK005D09&sta......if I did this right, I think the Savage owners pics are about in the middle row...YOU'RE FAMOUS!

Tom

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #25 - 09/29/05 at 13:21:57

gandalph40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
OK...the pics from Saturday are up from killboy http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventthumbs?event=04RK005D09&sta......if I did this right, I think the Savage owners pics are about in the middle row...YOU'RE FAMOUS!

Tom

Hey Tom great detective work!!  That would be us  Smiley
Karen is in the lead with the white helmet then her husband on the blue VStar. Followed by me then my husband on his Boulevard C50T!  What fun to see those pics, I wanna go back Cheesy

Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 09/29/05 at 16:06:32

Saw them.  Very cool. Grin

Um...

Well...

I kind of look like a circus bear on a tricycle, actually.

If I'd seen the pictures sooner, I wouldn't have had the grilled cheese and fries for lunch that day.  Shocked Roll Eyes  Smiley

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/29/05 at 16:14:43

LOL!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 10/01/05 at 10:36:55

Cool.  The dragon was slayed by Savages again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 08:43:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tail of the Dragon, 9/24

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.