Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tail of the Dragon, 9/24 (Read 3 times)
Karen627
Ex Member

Tail of the Dragon, 9/24
09/17/05 at 22:43:34

(I hope it's okay that I started a new thread for this.)

Who's still up for the Dragon ride on Saturday?  I thought we could use this thread to hash out the timing and itinerary.  Here's my idea (and it's just an idea):

I'd love to do the Dragon/Cherohala loop, which is about 120 miles total.  

Now, the loop would only have us going over the Dragon once, in only one direction.  I'd like to ride the Dragon at least once in both directions (because I'm freakin' anal like that  Roll Eyes  Cheesy ).  Since the Dragon is also the most difficult part of the ride, I was thinking we could ride it once in each direction first, when we're feeling the least amount of fatigue, then do the loop.  

So it would go like this:

We meet on one side (let's say the NC side for the sake of this post).  We ride from the NC end to the TN end, and then back.  Then we start the loop -- we ride over the Dragon into TN again, and continue on to the Cherohala, and ride the Cherohala back into NC.  

It'll be a good few hours, and a total of about 150 miles, give or take.  But then afterwards there'll still be plenty of time left for anyone who wants to go back to the Dragon for a few more runs.

So that was my idea -- and it's just an idea.  If everyone likes it, we can do it.  If everyone hates it, then we won't do it.  Either way's cool with me.  8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Tail of the Dragon, 9/24
Reply #1 - 09/17/05 at 22:51:24

You go for it.  I can't wait to hear.  Y'all ride safe.

Here we were near the Fontana dam....with a friend on a 1200 Bandit.

And here is the Tennessee end of the Tail....Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 09/18/05 at 16:27:08

Since I have been playing nurse for my wife after her accident and surgury my time has been limited, but I may be able to get a day out for a ride.  Last week I was able to do the March of Dimes Ride which made for a really good day..  I will check to see if my daughter can come over and stay with Beverly while I go for a ride...hopefully...

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #3 - 09/18/05 at 18:07:08

Hey Karen,  

I am still making the ride down.  I will get there Friday late afternoon or early eve.  It will be about a 6 hour ride so I plan on taking the whole day. No rush just enjoying the ride.  I have no plans other than riding, your route sounds good to me. An early start and the dragon first will hopefully put us there before to many sport bikes show up. 8)

Lancer hope you can join us. Smiley

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 09/18/05 at 18:27:08

Can you give me a specific location where you will be starting the run?  Is there a landmark or hotel or "big rock in the turn of the road"?

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/18/05 at 21:15:28

Greg, those are some great pics.  (I can't wait until we're back and posting shots of our own. Grin )

Paula, I'm fine with starting early.  You're right -- let's try to avoid the sportbikes/squids. Tongue  I've read that it starts getting busy around 11 -- I suppose we should pick a time before 11, then?

Lancer!  Welcome back (tentatively, anyway, I'm guessing)!!  And a big thank you to your wonderful wife and daughter if they give you a day or two to ride.  (Or even if they don't -- I'm sure they're wonderful anyway. Smiley )

So... where to meet Saturday morning.  How about Tapoco Lodge, on 129?  This would take us over the Fugitive Bridge.  Sounds nice.

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #6 - 09/19/05 at 17:49:18

The lodge sounds good to me for a meeting place, now what time? Will there be concerns with fog? May have to wait a bit later than earlier? Have you gathered any info on the weather conditions for that area this time of year? I'll look into it a bit more.

Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/19/05 at 18:18:16

Paula71 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Have you gathered any info on the weather conditions for that area this time of year?

The current weather.com forecast for Robbinsville says mid-80's and sunny all weekend.  Grin The Cherohala, because parts of it are a mile high, is said to get about 10-15 degrees cooler at higher elevations, so I'm leaving my mesh jacket home and taking my textile jacket.  

Regarding fog, that's a really good question.  I have no idea -- I live in the foothills of the mountains we'll be visiting, and we often get some fog in the morning; it usually burns off once the sun's been up for a while -- figure around 8 am or so.  

Is 9 am too early to meet?  That'll give us time for a run back and forth on the Dragon, and then we can start the loop and leave the Dragon to the squids.  (Of course, I can also see people thinking 9 am on a Saturday is stupidly early, so I'm fine with starting later.)

In the meantime, I'll e-mail the couple that runs the Tail of the Dragon website and ask them if they get a lot of fog in the morning, and what time it usually burns off.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 09/19/05 at 18:25:15

now of course while those fine folks do the ride, the rest of us need to find a suitable place to ride the same day, so we all get to ride together.   Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #9 - 09/20/05 at 03:52:46

9 A M works here. Great news on the nice weather for the weekend.  We may have some showers to deal with on the way down though :'(

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 09/20/05 at 05:43:14

Karen627 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
The current weather.com forecast for Robbinsville says mid-80's and sunny all weekend.  Grin

Sounds wonderful.  It's supposed to be 100 F here again today.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/20/05 at 17:36:25

Okay, now the forecast is saying 88 degrees Friday and Saturday.  Don't know about bringing the Meteor jacket -- 88 degrees is definitely mesh jacket weather.  (And I bought the jacket last week specifically to get it in time for the trip. Roll Eyes Cheesy )

Anyway.  Figure sunny and hot.  Cooler at the higher elevations of the Cherohala, but still reasonably warm there, I'd guess.

Got a response back from Ron, one of the co-owners of tailofthedragon.com.  He said there's been some fog in the mornings, but it burns off by 9:30.  Would you like to meet at the Tapoco at 9:30 instead?  Or would you rather get to the Tapoco at 9am so we can meet each other and say hi and all of that, and then start riding by 9:30?

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #12 - 09/21/05 at 04:02:40

Between 9-9:30, if it is foggy it will slow my ride down to get there. So I will aim for 9 but could be a tad late.

Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/21/05 at 06:47:34

Paula71 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Between 9-9:30, if it is foggy it will slow my ride down to get there. So I will aim for 9 but could be a tad late.

Perfect! Grin

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/22/05 at 19:41:40

All right.  It's 10:30, I'm packed, my bike is cleaned up, gonna check the tire pressure in the morning, and then I'll be on my way to NC around 9:30.  I'll look in here once more before go tomorrow to see if anyone needs to change anything -- otherwise, see you Saturday!  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 16:34:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tail of the Dragon, 9/24

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.