Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Perplexed (Read 8 times)
gandalph40
Ex Member

Re: Perplexed
Reply #15 - 09/08/05 at 07:47:55

Oh, and if you decide against the Intruder, let us know...SOMEONE will probably be interested...(like me, for instance)  Grin

Tom

IP Logged
sidekick
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/08/05 at 09:39:08

OK folks......I'm totally out in left field Roll Eyes Went back and looked at the bike again and I made a mistake. It's not a 1400 but an 800. Sorry about the mis-information, but lets start over again. 800 or 650? Sorry!

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/08/05 at 09:47:38

I think I'd still take the intruder just because that's to much for a Savage with 14k.  You could find a much newer lower mileage Savage for 2k or less.  My Savage is a '97.  I purchased it 2 years ago for 2k.  It had less than 3000 miles on it.  Included windshield, engine gaurd, gel seat and some factory upgrade package.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #18 - 09/08/05 at 10:36:31

still the intruder,its a newer bike,less miles,better engine
more power,sounds better,and the 800 is about the same seat height as the savage.and its a v-twin so u wont vibrate bolts loose when u ride above 60.

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/08/05 at 12:24:40

The Intruder's still a good deal (not a GREAT deal anymore, but good).  I've been watching them on eBay and, if you're really patient and careful, you could get one for less than $3k, but it might be 1000 miles from you.  So, to me the tradeoff is, you've got a nice bike for a nice price close-by.  However, what I said before about liquid-cooling now comes into play.  The VS800 WILL be more difficult to work on yourself.  Not impossible, just more difficult.  I might try to get a few hundred off the Intruder...maybe $2800?  That's what it probably would sell for on eBay.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 09/08/05 at 18:49:10

I have both sitting in the driveway. The Savage gets better mileage, handles better, and is 1000% easier to maintain. Yearly service on an Intruder 800 is a day long process. Coolant change, oil change, 2 air filters, 2 carbs to synch, shaft to lubricate, differential to change the lube in... Lips Sealed  They don't hold idle settings any better than the Savage. The shaft drive takes some getting used to. Tires cost 3 times what Savage tires do, as you NEED a 71H MINIMUM rear sidewall rating.

Both have lousy brakes if you stick with stock pads/shoes. Both have too good of brakes if you swap to EBC or SBS pads/shoes.

Both have horrible stock seats. Neither have good ergonomics (riding positions) for over 6 foot tall riders (the 800 is worse, centerset pegs).

Taking all that into consideration, I'd buy the Savage, IF the price is dropped to real world levels. IF you haul a passenger over 4 foot tall, neither one has adequate seat/pegs/backrest (my wife has ridden on both p-pads, they are equally awful in her eyes). But, the 800 has a slight (very slight) edge.

The savage will flat spank an 800 in town. And on the highway to about 4th gear. After that, the Intruder walks away and doesn't look back. The Intruder doesn't blow around as easily when crossing grated bridge decks or passing semis and RVs.

Both are good bikes. NEITHER is a beginner bike.
-WD
83 Yamaha XT550
96 Suzuki VS800 Intruder
98 Suzuki Savage custom
99 Kawasaki 800A Vulcan

All in my driveway, only the 800s still run.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sidekick
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/08/05 at 19:56:26

All in my driveway, only the 800s still run.

I have to ask, what happened to the savage. Both 800's still running and the 650 is dead in the wated. Dosen't really look good for the savage.

Thanks for the info, appriciate the time and effort.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 09/09/05 at 01:48:43

Savage ran like a dream. It's torn down for a re-do after my stepson low speed dumped it. I should have said operable. The motor is almost bulletproof, I got it to 100+ miles per hour at least weekly for two years. Rode it as much as I could, loved the bike. But my stepson needed wheels, so I gave it to him.

The XT is a project bike, nothing more. I bought a new battery for it, too lazy to put it in the chassis. Does it run/will it run? I don't know. Don't care, if I get it running, I'm likely going to give it away anyhow. Know a Boy Scout camp ranger who has more need of it than I do, his "driveway" is 30 miles of hardpan, potholes and washout.

The 800 Intruder is Lisa's. I refuse to ride it, ever again. I thought my 1920 HD boardtracker was uncomfortable...

I'm riding the wheels off my 800 Vulcan. Much easier on my back than the Savage, faster, seat is better padded, and saddlebags actually make sense on it. My Savage was a great "fun" bike for short trips. I was just too tall for it. If my stepson goes in the Coast Guard as planned, I'll stretch the Savage frame and ride it, a lot. He's my height (6'2"), the frame stretch would make it more enjoyable for him to ride it as well.

Savage should be back on the road by Sunday afternoon. I'm between jobs, have some time and money to play since I got part of a settlement for a severe back injury (85% disability rating, permanent, expected to worsen as I age). I'm not fixing the tank dent until winter, he'll just have to live with it until then. The rest of the damage? Oh, about 2 hours worth of drill and rewire, and it will be good as new. And 20 minutes to hammer the right peg straight again. Kids...

Take it from someone with both a thumper and a v-twin, you won't go wrong with a Savage, IF it fits YOU. If it is a simple matter of changing the bars to make it fit, do it. If the Intruder feels better, buy that. If you want a functional suspension and power to spare, buy the Savage and hit up Lancer.

As for me, I'll probably pick up another Savage to play with. My Vulcan is a killer bike, but I miss 75+mpg in town on the Savage (the Intruder knocks down less than 40 by the way, the Vulcan around 50).
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 09/09/05 at 01:54:17

In a nut shell, the Savage is the better bike. Regardless of price or condition.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #24 - 09/09/05 at 08:59:15

There are 2 ways to look at the question -  If we are talking what You can buy and sell and make money- The Intruder should sell for at least $3500 and the Savage You can buy slightly below $2000.
If We are talking to ride the bike, especially with the higher gas prices- for a beginner the Savage is better choice /lower, lighter and enough get-up and go/.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
SuperflyTNT
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 09/09/05 at 18:41:51

I'd go with the Savage.  It's small, but it handles exceptionally well, and with a SuperBrace, Windshield, and bigger rear tire/shocks it is fun on the highway (between butt-puckering moments when ANYTHING passes you)

I've been riding all my life and it's either a 61 Harley Sportster or a Savage.

IP Logged
sidekick
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 09/11/05 at 11:31:41

Thanks to everybody who offered info, appriciate the time and effort. I just had an offer I couldn't refuse, so I picked it up. 1983 850GL - 21K / $1200. Just had the carbs sync'd and new cables installed. Rode well and shifted smooth. Lots of power to boot. Needs a good cleaning but mech very sound. It's not a Savage or an Intruder, but it's still a Suzuki.... Grin

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #27 - 09/12/05 at 04:21:01

$1200 is starting to get closer to my price range.  Post a pic, will ya?  Old bikes are cool.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 09/12/05 at 12:38:27

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Both are good bikes. NEITHER is a beginner bike.
-WD

WD,  What makes you say that?  Pretty light, easy to steer, not ridiculously powerful (like a sportbike), easy to maintain...

IP Logged
sidekick
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 09/12/05 at 13:05:10

Post a Pic.........Will do first chance I get. I forgot about all the little standard stuff that came with the older bikes. The center stand - kind of difficult to get it up on it, but it sure comes in handy for working on the bike. The extra gauges - fuel and gear selector (nice little touches that only help). The seat is even more ergonomic, at least that's what the wife says. I would rather have an oil dip stick than a sight gauge though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 22:18:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Perplexed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.