2005 No Login

Iron Butt
Association Member
since 1997

Four Miles From Minooka
Re: Perplexed
Reply #1 - 09/07/05 at 12:42:23

The Intruder.

1) I already have 1 1997 Savage (with twice as many miles (and I haven't been riding in the last 4 years))

2) The Savage is small (in ergonomics and displacement) and I need a larger touring bike

3) I think I have enough experience to handle the larger bike without killing myself

WWW   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #2 - 09/07/05 at 12:48:22

i would go with the intruder myself,thats the right price for it too.its a much better bike than the savage and a bunch more power,better milege too.one big up is u can sell it for alot more cash if need be.if u do any highway travel the intruder is a must.

the savage is a great bike but with 14k miles its not worth it. If it had about 7k miles on it it be a good buy.

My opinion Undecided

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 09/07/05 at 12:48:35

I guess it all depends on what you want - but if both of these are in fine cond - the Intruder is priced below KBB.com  retail a good bit (about a grand) and the savage is dead on it

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/07/05 at 12:52:43

i'd go with the intruder but i dont have 2k or 3k so i dont get either  8) anyway i'd have to guess

1) the diff between 2k and 3k is 1k thats a lot

2) most people in here are begginers they, they want something to learn on. A 1400 is "big and scary" a 650 is small and great starter. Most people are too scared to even start on a 650 much less a 1400. Its like most people refer to POT. Its an entry level drug. usually pretty easy to get. Gets out of the system quick. Some think its harmless not very addictive etc...... They say its the entry level drug to others (while i think this is crap the theory applies).  some will move on to bigger drugs. other will just stick to pot for ever some wont like it and quit. Some will buy bigger bikes. Some will ride the savage forever. A few wont like it and quit riding.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/07/05 at 15:08:16

Personally, I'd go with the savage. Not because of price or miles, but because I can almost touch the ground on it and if I dump it, I can pick it up. I sold a V-Star to buy my Savage. Also bought my daughter one.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 09/07/05 at 15:28:07

That VS1400 sounds like a good deal for a larger displacement motorcycle ... 'round here the 1400 'Truder is a fave amongst D.I.Y. customizers ... have seen a few really tasty home-grown 1400 Choppers in the fast few months.
BTW ... curious ... anyone know what the Canadian Blue Book value of a mint '03 LS650 (4500kms) might be?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 09/07/05 at 17:45:16

OT -- perplex comes to us from the Latin perplexus, from per- thoroughly + plexus involved.   You are talking about which bike to get involved with and thus you are pre- prior + plexus involved.  The difference between a 'real' word and a recently coined word is just a matter of time and acceptance.

With regard to the bikes.  I demand lightweight.  The Savage is 180 pounds lighter than the 1400 Intruder.  I have no need for more speed/power than what Thumper provides.

WWW   IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/07/05 at 17:57:15

The Intruder sound like a real steal.  Are you sure thats the correct price?

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/07/05 at 18:03:36

The Intruder. I like the Savage but that's a great price for a low mileage Intruder. If you're tall, you'll like the extra room.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/07/05 at 19:44:04

Sidekick - Where are you gonna ride?  In-town, country roads or highways?  And what's your skill level?  New, or been at it awhile?  

Me personally, I'd go for the Intruder.  I've already got a Savage.  I'd keep it around for shorter trips and general entertainment.  The Intruder would be my pick for longer trips.  The Savage is not an ideal choice for serious distance cruising, although it can and is being done.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #11 - 09/07/05 at 19:44:53

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
OT -- perplex comes to us from the Latin perplexus, from per- thoroughly + plexus involved.   You are talking about which bike to get involved with and thus you are pre- prior + plexus involved.  The difference between a 'real' word and a recently coined word is just a matter of time and acceptance.

Good grief Undecided I'm having a headache reading this Grin

Here my 2 cents:

It's all depend on the level of experience of the rider and how mechanical inclined that rider is.

Experienced rider: Instruder
Beginner: Savage
Can do most stuff on the bike:Intruder(more work) or Savage(less)
Don't want to get thou hand dirty:either I or S

It's not just the cost of the bike that you have to consider but also the long run cost of maintaining it. Like Paladin often said K.I.S.S.

Happy deciding;

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 09/08/05 at 06:30:17

First, let me say I don't consider the Savage to be a "beginner's bike".  I consider it a simple-to-maintain and lightweight bike.  The Intruder is larger, heavier and more complex.  I'd suggest the Savage for single-rider general riding, around-town commuting, etc.  If you are over about 5' 10", you should try both out to see which is more comfortable.  Depending on your proportions, the Intruder is likely to fit you better.  If you plan on a lot of long-range rides, the Intruder might be a better choice due to increased power and more importantly - fuel capacity.  However, the Savage is quite competent for long rides as long as you stop for fuel.  Personally, I like to stop to stretch every now and again, so the range is fine with me.  Now, if you plan on riding 2-up more than rarely, go with the Intruder.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/08/05 at 06:39:23

I've been riding a long time and love my Savage.  But, faced with the same choice of bikes, I'd definitely choose the Intruder.  The price/value ratio is just better; lower miles and only $1k more.  If you've got the $3k to spend, you'll get better resale from the Intruder.  Plus, the VS1400 is one sweet ride!  It runs good, looks good, and sounds baaaad...It's air cooled for simplicity, (unlike the VS800 which is liquid-cooled), but it does have a drive-shaft which is good

On the side of the Savage, though, it will likely get better gas mileage, if that's your motivation.  It is lightweight and fun to ride.  It's relatively easy to work on even for a novice.  And, with the right mods, has all the power you'll ever want or need, even for highway riding.  

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 09/08/05 at 06:59:57

I have to agree on the price-point with respect to mileage and resale value.  The Intruder is a better deal if you have the extra $1K and the bike fits your needs... assuming they are both in good condition.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 21:21:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Perplexed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.