Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear brake squealing terribly (Read 12 times)
magistermatt
Ex Member

Rear brake squealing terribly
08/29/05 at 07:02:56

About six months ago I changed my rear brake shoe's while I was having new tires installed. Ever since that day they squeaked whenever I applied the brake. It was pretty bad at first but then began to subside. I originally attributed it to having to wear in the new shoe's but it never fully went away though it became greatly reduced in volume.

Being as I enjoy riding more than wrenching and the noise never affected actual braking performance I let it go for a while. I finally got the chance to get in there this weekend and so I took the wheel off and took the drum apart. I inspected it thouroughly and cleaned it well. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary and the shoe had plenty more pad to go.

After re-assembly and a test ride I am not thrilled to report that it is now louder than ever. The squeak has now become a piercing squeal. I am almost embarrased to use the rear brake at this time and I'd like to try and remedy this asap.

I'm looking for possible causes/reasons for this and would like some sagely advice on what to do when I get back in there. Should I also just go ahead and replace the pads again while I'm in there?

Much Thanks!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Rear brake squealing terribly
Reply #1 - 08/29/05 at 07:34:15

Sometimes a file on the leading edge will help, some >400 grit sanding of the surfaces will help shoe and drum, and a quick temp fix is take a water hose and flood it through top and you likely see brake dust wash out the bottom - follow this with hard use of the rear brake - works for me.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #2 - 08/29/05 at 07:37:05

Whenever my back brake squeals its because of the brake dust build up,u said u cleaned it,did u make sure to wipe down the pads and the brake drum?make sure there is no dust.

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/30/05 at 10:07:24

I work @ a car dealer and we use a product made by M.O.C called "quiet Brakes" you soak the pad/shoe in it for 10 - 15 min then install. Its basically just  carbon or graphite in a solution that allows it to soak into the surface. it works great on the cheapie aftermarket pads. There is probably something similar available at your local jobber.(independant parts store)  Good luck

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/07/05 at 11:14:13

i took the tire off this past weekend. My brakes are squealing bad.   i need to fix it before vegas. I'm gonna do everything in this post but any other ideas or reasons as to why they might be squealing could it be i didn't adjust the the screw correctly? all i did was poped out the hub well it was loose actually when i pulled the tire off put it back in before putting on the tire. I thought it could have been some dust but i ride everyday and i find hard to believe that i wouldn't have allready knocked it out. Any Ideas?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 09/07/05 at 14:46:02

well it's kind of dust - but it's also a glaze over they build up

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 09/07/05 at 16:35:08

Try lightly rubbing the inside of the brake drum with 320 or 400 grit emery cloth, it might help the shoes to seat. Go around the drum, not back and forth.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 16:47:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear brake squealing terribly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.