carb problem? (Read 2 times)
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
carb problem?
08/25/05 at 13:36:15

Hi,

Just found this site. My wife has a 2001 that has always had a slight problem backfiring. Unfortunately now the probelm is severe and the bike runs poorly in general. I guess this is a carb problem? Can I rebuild a carb myself with any chance of success or should I just take it to a shop? I took it to one shop and all they did was turn the idle up.

Also the exhaust near the engine has turned purple/blue. Was told this was a sign of being too lean?

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: carb problem?
Reply #1 - 08/25/05 at 14:42:35

They come from the factory very lean.  Look up the "white spacer mod" in the tech section.  Get a pipe and air.   Rejet.  Ride.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/25/05 at 20:06:28

What he said... and the idle mixture screw on the right side of the carb (possibly under a brass cover with a dab of white paint on it).  Come to think of it, it's all explained in the threads on rejetting and the white spacer mod.  Caution: when using this site's search feature, set the number of days to look backward to something greater than the default of 7.  I use 500 most times.  Otherwise the search engine works pretty well.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 08/25/05 at 21:13:55

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #4 - 08/26/05 at 13:20:21

Thanks for the responses.

What's teh best stuff to dip the carb in, or clean it in general?

Also:
They come from the factory very lean.  Look up the "white spacer mod" in the tech section.  Get a pipe and air.   Rejet.  Ride.

What does 'get a pipe and air' mean?

Also was mentioned that these bikes leak oil from the drain plug, which this one does a little. What's used to correct this?

Thanks,
Derek

WWW   IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/26/05 at 13:52:19

Also you might want to check the two bolts the hold the muffler to the engine and maybe even the gasket too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 08:01:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.