Send Topic Print
Noisy Timing Chain? (Read 3 times)
boyett
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Santa Rosa, CA
Noisy Timing Chain?
08/16/05 at 22:37:30

I have a '00 Savage and it seem lately there is a quite a bit of top end noise.  The noise increases in intensity at higher RPM.  I don't notice it much at idle or low RPM. I adjusted the valves and really can't tell much difference.  It has about 15K miles on it and I wonder if it could be the timing chain slapping around.  Is there anyway I can tell other than tearing the engine apart?

I first noticed the sound after cruising on the freeway at 65mph for several miles on a hot day.  It was also after I just added a windshield, so it's possible I just notice the noise more with the windshield on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim
Santa Rosa, CA

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: Noisy Timing Chain?
Reply #1 - 08/17/05 at 05:00:16

My only experience with a stretched timing chain was on my Suzuki Z400 sport quad.  The tapping was consistent at all rpms and got quite loud before I changed it out for a stronger one made by D.I.D.

Slightly painful job but doable.  I am wondering if our engines have a manual timing chain tensioner or automatic.  With my Z400, if I remove the middle bolt to take out the spring, I can then remove the auto adjuster to see how many 'clicks' I have left.

Anyone?  I'd like to know more about this subject.  Or don't the Savage chains stretch enough to ever need replaced before an engine rebuild?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 08/17/05 at 05:13:34

Don't think so - the spec is to measure the length of 21 pins no more than 128.9mm (5.07 in)

In the heat what I have found on the '95 is 20w50 runs quiter than 10w40 and keeping the oil level right at the top mark in the glass - maybe just a bit over - makes a big difference.

yes - spring loaded ratchet cam chain tensioner

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 08/17/05 at 08:48:39

Yes, This in my oppinion is a prety comon problem. I have an engine , that I picked up very cheap, because the timing chain broke.The bike had about 30K miles, but was abused a lot. The root of the evil is a bad air filtration and not enough oil changes. When You have dust particles in the oil they work like a sand paper and because You have so many links, the result of the wear multiplies fast. It will be a good idea to change the chain. The price is about $90. You will need a clutch cover gasket- roughly $13. It will be Your decidion do You want to change the famous leaky plug, but for $7 I'd replace it. The cam chain tentioner is automatic and I don't see a way to go to a mechanical, because it is inside the engine and there is no way to adjust it without pulling the right side cover off.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 08/17/05 at 09:37:52

boyett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
 Is there anyway I can tell other than tearing the engine apart?

Slavy, man clean oil is a must on these things I think -

Away, is there a way to tell other than to open it up and measure it?

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/19/05 at 04:16:24

My chain broke and left pieces in the engine. WEEE
Stealership dream I tells u.  My valves were bent and 1600.00 later they fixed it and rejetted the carb.

1 month later somehow I got a pressure leak and it was leaking gas through the exhaust they said.  Luckily I didnt catch on fire.  I have only put like 1k on the engine and it only had a total of 7k 1995.  Next time I buy a bike its gonna be new.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 08/19/05 at 06:36:19

Best advice is to replace the chain AND the rear chain support. That's the piece that pushes the chain forward by means of the adjuster. It's covered with some plastic material and gets worn out.

Got this advice from the German forum.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 08/19/05 at 09:12:39

At what interval? - 20k - I was going to try for 30k - but may just bite the bullet and do it - I'm sure for the last 7k miles the 95 has had very clean oil and filters - but the ealier part of it's life - who knows.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:03:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noisy Timing Chain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.