Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gas leaking from bottom (Read 2 times)
Jim_R
Ex Member

gas leaking from bottom
08/15/05 at 22:15:01

OK so I did a short highway ride and when I got off and did some city travel my bike was dying on decel.  It seemed only to idle with the choke, but when I did this the idle was VERY VERY high(kinda scarry).  Shaken but not stirred I limped it back home and when I hit the last light I saw some smoking effects behind the carb and kinda below it.  When I did reach the house it was acting the same and I could actually see gas coming from underneath it(very scarry).   I really cant tell where it is coming from either but it is under the engine.

After researching all the previous posts I saw someone had a very similar problem but the thread died before a solution was presented.  Since this is a fuel issue I am guessing that I should check the petcock 1st and see if it leaks on "on" position and if it flows on "pri" as well as the vaccum hose(did thevaccum and was that fine, still need to check on and pri positions).  THen check the bowl vent tubes (already did and were fine).
Then the float and float valve(havent tried yet).  Anything else I am missing?  I cant take the carb off because I dont have an impact screwdriver so im not sure what I can do to clean it.  I guess tracking down the leak a little more throughly might help me with the solution.

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Re: gas leaking from bottom
Reply #1 - 08/16/05 at 04:12:53

Sorry can't help you much about your problem, but I can tell you that my bike is a 87' and I had no problem taking off the carb and cleaning it with only a regular screw driver.  I wouldn't want to use an impact screwdriver on the carb anyways, unless as a last resort.

Are you sure you couldn't fix the idle with idle adjusting screw on carb?  Sometimes I have to readjust mine after a highway run.  It seems to idle really low like when its cold,  maybe its because all the air cools it down a lot..just a guess

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 08/16/05 at 05:03:04

If gas is leaking, and it's not the petc0ck gasket, fuel line, or running down the vac hose, it's time to pull the bowl. You don't need and impact screw driver to do it, that just a way to make sure your putting a lot of presure on the phillps bit - just make sure the bit fit's right - #2's best i recall -  push up hard- and don't put those soft screws back in there. I'd sure want to see what's going on with the float,  shutoff valve and it's seat. When that float doesn't shutoff the gas (hole in the float, or the tip of the valve is worn, or crud at the seat) it can run both was - into the engine or into the air box - you might want to drain the air box tube.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/16/05 at 05:54:09

Also, you can seat the philips screwdriver in the screw and just tap it once with a hammer.  That will often "free" a frozen screw such that it can be removed more easily.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #4 - 08/16/05 at 05:56:59

If that fails you can always try a small pair of "mole grips" is that what you call them over there?
Then replace with 5mm stainless allen studs.

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/16/05 at 06:02:18

Okay, WTF is a "mole grip"?  I picture a wriggling rodent trying furiously to escape someone's demented clutches.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #6 - 08/16/05 at 06:08:19

hand vice grips? LOL

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/16/05 at 06:11:44

Okay, vise-grips.

Something like this?

gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #8 - 08/16/05 at 06:13:30

Thats the baby..don't know why we call em mole grips

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 08/16/05 at 06:16:57

gazab44 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Thats the baby..don't know why we call em mole grips

Apparently it's not just you.  I know Vise Grip is Irwin's name.  Maybe it's Stanley's name for the same tool.

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/STA084421.html

Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/16/05 at 08:52:59

hah thanks Ill try later when its a TAD less hot.   Man with the heat index it is 110.  OUCH.  Thanks for ur help as always.  BTW i have pulled the bowl before and the float and needle looked fine a month ago, but since I had it rejetted they prob adjusted the float.  I called the stealership and they said they would check it out since all the work I had done to it recently.  I would have pulled the bowl but a friend borrowed the ONLY allen wrench set I got. GRRRR.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #11 - 08/16/05 at 22:07:44

gazab44:  mole grips= vise grips,bonnet= hood,hood=top,boot=trunk. english ain't american,is it? bill aka diesel.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:36:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas leaking from bottom

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.