Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What grade of gas do YOU run? (Read 18 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: What grade of gas do YOU run?
Reply #15 - 08/14/05 at 17:20:24

The cheapest swill I can find......85 octane.

My '01 runs fine.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
methom
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Maine
Reply #16 - 08/14/05 at 17:25:54

I run regular in my 2000...tried "Supreme" a few times, but didn't notice a difference.  My first ride was a Hodaka 250 Enduro (yer dating  yourself if you remember those) and it made a HUGE difference when you switched.  It would buck, snort, and cough on regular, and run like a dream on Supreme.  A well-tuned Savage can probably handle anything, so I agree with saving your $$.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 08/14/05 at 18:21:47

the old good regular was 95, wonder how it'd like this 87?

supershell for me or another brand ethyl if in need(opps that dates me as well!) - it's just so dang hot here that any thing to reduce the chance of pre-ign and knocking the valves shut is a good thing.

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #18 - 08/14/05 at 18:58:21

I was told back in 1992, in my auto mechanics class in high school, that the good stuff burns cleaner, faster, and produces less carbon, and if you filled up with the good stuff, you'd get better gas mileage. That's just what I was told and have stuck to it in my "recreational" vechicles.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 08/14/05 at 21:47:58

Savage on 87 octane got in the 50s mpg, on 93 octane in the 70s mpg.

Intruder on 87octane is in the 30s mpg, with 93 octane in the high 40s or low 50s mpg.

Wonder how bad the new toy will run on low test...wish my money would get here...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 08/14/05 at 21:49:25

What kinda new toy ?

IP Logged
dssaak
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/15/05 at 09:34:52

I started using 93 and definately see a difference on my '02.

dk

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/15/05 at 18:01:56

I just went by the manual recommendations for my '05 and used 87, and it doesn't seem to hurt it -- but if using the premium stuff will improve my gas mileage, I might try that.

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 08/16/05 at 00:37:36

Doesn't anyone remember this thread?  Seems like everyone had different answers then.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I just use regular, but regular over here is 91.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 08/16/05 at 05:48:07

threezukes wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Doesn't anyone remember this thread?  Seems like everyone had different answers then.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I just use regular, but regular over here is 91.

Yes.  This is one of many constantly recycled topics on the same asked questions.  About the only difference is if you wait a few months to ask the same questions, you get the same opinions from some different people.  If searches were done and previous threads were read, there'd probably be far less repetition but that would simply make too much sense.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/16/05 at 06:36:52

Yeah, check out that thread, I spent some time explaining the REAL truth.  Noone EVER got 20 mpg more by changing octane....they just have a good supply of something to smoke Roll Eyes

IP Logged
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 08/16/05 at 06:55:14

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
If searches were done and previous threads were read, there'd probably be far less repetition but that would simply make too much sense.
And that would totally kill this message board.     Wink

If we weren't allowed to bring up a previously discussed topic, this board would be pretty boring... Just my 2 cents...

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #27 - 08/16/05 at 07:20:22

TBeck2000 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

If we weren't allowed to bring up a previously discussed topic, this board would be pretty boring... Just my 2 cents...

Diddo man

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #28 - 08/16/05 at 08:17:41

TBeck2000 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

It would only kill the board if your only interest is in reading the same thing over and over.  New information on the same topic is one thing.  And there are always new ideas and questions coming along.  A few examples of the same old thing are:  "What grade of fuel do you use?" and "Why does my LS650/S40 backfire?" and "What size tire do you use?", etc.  Sometimes there is something vague like "Why am I leaking oil?" which obviously needs better problem explanation and could be something as routine as the head seal/plug or something completely different.  My point is that there are some people who simply won't burn the calories to even attempt to look something up and prefer to be sp00n-fed.  I'd say it'd be interesting to put a sticky post at the top of the forum with listings of the commonest questions and topics, along with suitable keywords and instructions for searching.  One problem with that is many people don't even read the BOLD CAPS sticky posts telling them to post questions in RSD instead of the other forums.  Either that or they just don't care.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #29 - 08/16/05 at 12:17:30

Exactly like drivers that don't look and don't care.  Laziness is a human trait that is hard to fight as it is a survival instinct.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:28:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What grade of gas do YOU run?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.