Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chrome Questions (Read 7 times)
Weez
Ex Member

Chrome Questions
08/02/05 at 13:44:26

Hey all,

I just got some chrome polish and I was wondering if it is alright to use it on the exhaust.  

Also, this is a very dumb question, but what is the difference between "muffler", "exhaust" and "tailpipe".  I wonder sometimes if they are all the same thing?  Which one is everyone replacing?

Thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Chrome Questions
Reply #1 - 08/02/05 at 13:51:36

Chrome polish should be okay.  The exhaust is the whole set of stuff through which exhaust vapors exit the bike.  The muffler (sometimes referred to as a silencer) is the final section (on a stock Savage/S40) containing baffles to decrease noise and provide back pressure to the engine.  This is the item many folks change for increased flow and/or noise.  The header pipe is the first portion attached to your engine.  In some cases, such as with the Raask, the entire set is replaced by a one-piece unit.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/02/05 at 14:42:27

hey thanks for the reply,

Are the muffler mods easy to preform?  I think I may want to do one.  I have searched the forum but can't find an appropriate topic.

Also, I see a carb mod is recomended.  Are these hard to do?  How do I know what aftermarket carb to buy?

thanks

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 08/02/05 at 15:24:36

Lancer is selling some carbs (Amal) that folks seem happy with, but for the most part, the stock carb is okay.  You want to look up the spacer mod and rejet the carb (not too difficult), and probably change your airfilter too.

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #4 - 08/02/05 at 21:45:38

Before using that chrome polish I'd put a little on your finger and feel if there is a lot of grit to it. you don't want to end up with little swirls all over your exhaust.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 08/03/05 at 08:40:16

oh for chrome polish I like to use glasstop oven cleaner.  do not get any on your paint!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:07:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chrome Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.