Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sigma install (Read 7 times)
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Re: Sigma install
Reply #15 - 08/10/05 at 03:15:40

My Sigma is giving me the higher reading. I re-measured the tire twice usinging the chalk method and cam up with the same reading twice. From what I can figure out is that if the circumferance is larger the estimated travel per rotation will be farther thus resulting in a greater spead per revolution. Using this theory, my number is still to large but it is smaller than all of the ones your mentioned.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/10/05 at 09:21:11

what model sigma is this by the way?

did u divide the number by 1.61 to get mph?

try this number 1262

and see how that works

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #17 - 08/10/05 at 10:26:22

By the way ... I justed checked a catalog (for my *other* 2 wheeled vehicle) and BIKE NASHBAR has the Sigma BC800 on sale for $17.95

See:http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=8963&sto...

Or go to http://www.nashbar.com and search for BC800

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #18 - 08/10/05 at 10:30:27

My Wheel size measurement seem out of whack compared to Jim_R and Tony ( plus I wasn't happy with my Sigma speed reading) so I did three more takes and found my original measurement was not accurate. My original measurement was too high and my corresponding speed reading was as well. With a WS of 2038 my Sigma conforms with the Savage speedo up to 110KPH and shows slightly below at speeds above, which is what I expected. Now I am happy.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #19 - 08/10/05 at 11:08:20

RE: Sigma at Bike Nashbar

I just found they have a night light attachment (clamps to handlebar next to the computer) for only $9.00

See:http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=1197&sto...

Or search for "BC-0339" from the main page.

I haven't seen this in person, but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to replace whatever bulb there is with an LED and power it off the bike's system instead of the battery that comes with it (with a 15 hr life)

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
tidwel
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 08/10/05 at 12:40:15

Hi,
This is how i got an accurate reading for My bike.
Place a small spot of grease in th center of tire, then roll bike straight for 1 revolution . Measure between grease spots.
I did mine this way and it seams dead on, BTW I have a bell bike computer from wall mart 10 bucks.
I hope this helps.

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #21 - 08/10/05 at 17:36:18

Thank you everyone for your help.

Bentwheel, You number is right in line with mine (2033). The error was in the math. For some unknow reason (brain fart?) I never did the division for the Miles/hour. Now I am spot on up to about 65MPH. At that speed I seem to be reading about .5 higher on the sigma, but that could just be my eyes. It was hard to be sure I was dead on during the comparison so I am VERY happy with the meter. Mine is mounted on the tree between the risers. As long as you sit back in the seat and ride straight armed (my comfortable position), it is very easy to read. I wanted to mount is up on the bars but the cord was not long enought to reach the bottom of the caliper.

My gel seat is on it's way from Oneida, I cant to try it out also.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/10/05 at 21:27:35

I found that Simga light for 7.95

http://www.cccyclery.com/nitelite.html

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 08/17/05 at 03:38:06

HELP!  I just installed my Sigma and used the rare earth magnets but it is not registering anything on the speedo.

~Munson

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 08/17/05 at 05:14:16

Ok now I feel like an idiot!  I reallized on my way into work this morning that I had the thing on upside down!

So, I flip it over and it starts working, but my calculations must be off on the size of my tire because it was telling me I was going a lot faster than I could have been since I was in stop and go traffic.  I think it's about 20 mph off.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/18/05 at 14:36:27

try using one of our numbers and see if that gets u a more accurate reading.

I took apart my booklight from cvs and put a LED in it and ran it off the bikes battery.  Man, that sucker is bright and no AA batteries  YAY!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:51:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sigma install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.