Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another "quick" question... (Read 4 times)
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Another "quick" question...
08/16/05 at 08:04:16

First off, thanks for all your help with the other post.  So,  I've decided to try and do the carb mod myself.  I was thinking about going with a #152.5 main jet and decreasing the spacer by 1/3-1/2.  That's when I saw this Dynojet kit.  Looks like it's an all in one type deal.  

http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/suzuki.php

Has anyone had any experience with this or can you recommend a different kit?  If I go with the #152.5 main, will I need to drill out the jet or should it fit?  Also, what do you think of this muffler?  It looks like it should fit at least one bolt.  Any suggestions?

http://www.morros.net/site/ecomm/detail.asp?PN=7624&cat=1813

Thanks again!!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Another "quick" question...
Reply #1 - 08/16/05 at 08:24:20

I bought a DJ kit.  Save your money... unless you just have to have an adjustable needle.  That's something like a $50 kit and a main jet is about $3.  So far as I'm concerned, I wasted cash on that deal.  Just do the mods the way you described above.  Even if you got the DJ kit, you'd still have to buy jets.  The ones they provide are not large enough.  Also, in case you weren't aware, DJ sizes are not the same as Mikuni sizes.  Just an FYI.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/16/05 at 09:15:57

"Also, in case you weren't aware, DJ sizes are not the same as Mikuni sizes.  Just an FYI. "

Did not know that.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/16/05 at 10:11:55

I really  like the look of that muffler, I wonder how it would fit a savage?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/16/05 at 10:14:40

Probert31 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
"Also, in case you weren't aware, DJ sizes are not the same as Mikuni sizes.  Just an FYI. "

Did not know that.  Thanks.

I didn't when I bought the kit either.  There have been discussions since then and a reference page was placed on the Technical Corner called Mikuni / Dynojet jet size comparison to assist.

That muffler would look really nice too.  I'm sure you'll still have to have an adaptor made for it - if for nothing other than to account for the 8 or 10 degree (whatever it is) angle required.  The Jardine and Mac already have these built in.  However, for that price, having an adaptor made at a muffler shop should be no problem.  The turnout would look good on the bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/16/05 at 10:57:24

Look at my sig, I am running a K&N and some holes in my baffle.  So far the jetting is spot on, runs strong and the plug is the right color.

DJ is a waste of money.  Used one on my Z400, wish I hadn't spent the $70....... Sad

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 08/16/05 at 13:41:01

"I'm sure you'll still have to have an adaptor made for it - if for nothing other than to account for the 8 or 10 degree (whatever it is) angle required"

I'm not sure what you mean.  I was kinda hoping the channel bracket in the back would fit same as the stock muffler.  I thought it might be somewhat short, and I'd probably have to rig some sort of extra support.  Could you explain what you mean buy adapting for the angle?  Thanks.  Oh yeah, just thinking, how do you thin out the spacer?  I was thinking of using sandpaper or a file of some sort.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/16/05 at 18:42:26

This is a photo of my Mac muffler.  (It's normally chrome.  I've blackened both the muffler and header.)  Note the angle on the connector end.  That's what I'm talking about.

So far as the white spacer is concerned, I'll demur to those who've done that.  Remember, I used the $50 DynoJet adjustable needle - not knowing it was such a waste of money for this purpose.

dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #8 - 08/16/05 at 22:34:50

Probert--- Dont do the dynojet kit!! Rob is right it is a waste of your  $$ CASH $$ You can get the jet you want from the parts counter for far less and it will be alot less hassle. Be sure to get the float bowl gasket too in case it gets grunged up in the process to be safe. The jet just screws in/out no drilling is required (except for the removal of the brass air/fuel mixture plug thingy that you'll need to adjust after all is said and done)

If you're after a replacement for your muffler that will go right on with no hassles or mounting issues, see the Jardine I got for sale in THE MARKETPLACE!!!!

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
crocodile
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/16/05 at 23:19:41

Probert, If you go to rad-shack and pick up a bag of mixed washers (100) $2, pick out 2 #4 's, (there are 4 sizes in the bag) they will replace the white spacer perfectly but at very close to half the thickness of the spacer.

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #10 - 08/17/05 at 01:44:04

Wouldn't those washers eventually begin to rust though? I believe those are zinc not stainless steel or brass. Dont get me wrong, I'm no expert by any means but I know those mixed bag of washers have rusted up on other things I have used them on in the past. ???

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
crocodile
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/17/05 at 09:33:24

You could be right, I don't know, I only know they fit perfectly. I wonder how long it would take to cause a problem in gas. By the way, for you Brits if you see RADIO SHACK mentioned any where, it is the same company as TANDY CORP

IP Logged
crocodile
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/17/05 at 09:48:33

I was just thinking, if I put a couple of those washers in a sealed glass jar with some gas it should give me some idea of what's going on in my carb.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - 08/17/05 at 09:54:33

Not really a fair test. These washers would be exposed to fuel misting as opposed to immersion.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #14 - 08/17/05 at 10:26:33

Read the previous threads!!
crocodile wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Probert, If you go to rad-shack and pick up a bag of mixed washers (100) $2, pick out 2 #4 's, (there are 4 sizes in the bag) they will replace the white spacer perfectly but at very close to half the thickness of the spacer.

Those cheap-a$$ stamped washers are not precision, non-QC , bulk items. Some have "dangling/hanging chads", the O.D.s were all too large on the ones I got and none installed correctly and intefered w/ the needle position.
All previously covered.
If we won't do the research, we are doomed to "quickly" repeat failures of the past.  Roll Eyes

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:12:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another "quick" question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.