Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I need help with a rod knock.... (Read 28 times)
Lil Em
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I bleed orange!

Riverdale, Utah
I need help with a rod knock....
07/29/05 at 18:52:39

I'm new to my 97' Savage. We just changed the plug and did a valve adjustment. Now we think we here a rod knock. How do we determine that it is? Is it worth taking it in and having someone check it? How much does it cost for a rebuild? Should I stop riding it?

I know, I know lots of questions. Remember I'm a newbie and need ya'lls help.

Thanks.

Riverdale Utah
1997 Suzuki Savage
http://www.bikepics.com/members/lilx11/
WWW   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: I need help with a rod knock....
Reply #1 - 07/29/05 at 19:42:42

Lil Em wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
We just changed the plug and did a valve adjustment. Now we think we here a rod knock.

I doubt you have a rod knock unless the bike's been run low on oil. It sounds like the valve adjustment wasn't done correctly and you're hearing the valves. There are detailed instructions on this board about adjusting the valves.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 07/29/05 at 19:48:08

So far I have not heard of a bad crank shaft in a Savage. The crank has needle bearing and is extremely hard to destroy. The first thought is a bad cam chain- very common problem. If I am correct the chain is about $90 from the dealer. When You change the chain, You will need the clutch cover gasket and it will be a good idea to R&R the famous plug, so You don't have oil leak in the future. Also make sure the cam chain tentioner is alll there. You don't have to remove the head and it is not very hard to do, but if You don't have any expirience- better let somebody who knows what is he doing to do it.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 07/29/05 at 22:45:37

I really doubt you have a rod knocking.  Do you have an engine stethoscope?  Also called a mechanics stethoscope, you can get one at any auto parts store.  Northern Tool's website lists them for $5:

With this little dude you can pinpoint the source of the noise.

The rod rides the crank on a needlebearing, and the crank rides in roller bearings in the engine cases - It's not a plain bearing setup like a car engine.  The bottom end of the Savage is completely bulletproof.  

The top end, however, is the weak link -- plain-bearing all the way, not even any soft metal inserts - just steel-on-steel and steel-on-aluminum.  You can imagine it can't stand being without oil, and can get very noisy.  

I hope you don't have what I had on my first Savage and on my current project Savage.

My first Savage, a 98, had been oil starved and had so much wear on the rocker arm "lifter" surfaces that you had to adjust the valve screws WAY down, and even then the exhaust rocker was hitting the decompression rod and the top of the head rather than following the cam's low spots.  Hell of alot of noise it made.  Alot of well-intentioned folks said the rod was loose, but that was not the case for me.  Rocker arm replacement hushed the noise.

Of course there are alternatives to rocker replacement, like heating/bending the lifter arm; or welding up the lifter surface and re-surfacing it.  Then re-heat treat the whole thing in the winter time when you have a good fire going.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:00:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I need help with a rod knock....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.