Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When to modify? (Read 5 times)
bikeshark
Ex Member

When to modify?
07/29/05 at 08:09:32

I have a white S40 I bought this summer. I have less than 200 miles on it. I am wondering, how many miles should the engine have on it before I modify the muffler, carburetor, and air filter?

What aftermarket parts should I get?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Mark Smith

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: When to modify?
Reply #1 - 07/29/05 at 08:22:26

Personally, I'd at least wait until the 600 mile service has been done before changing it from stock.  After that, it all depends on what you want to do with it.  It's your bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #2 - 07/29/05 at 12:22:05

Good advice. I too would wait till your 600 mile check up. No need to add a bunch of HP when you're breaking her in still. I would add a Supertrapp megaphone muffler and modify the carb with a 1/2 white spacer, 157.5 main jet, and drill out the cap over the slow mixture screw and adjust to 1 1/2 to 2 turns out. This woke up my LS650.

I'm not a fan of K&N filters. I heard they don't filter so well. Maybe remove the snorkel from air filter housing or otherwise open it up. I would keep the stock air filter.

Adding a Supertrapp and rejetting the overly lean carb will make your S40 run very very well. The Raask exhaust is also very nice.

Installing the Supertrapp wasn't too difficult. I did have to take a bit off the end of the header pipe which was a bit of a PIA.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 07/29/05 at 12:54:51

My personal preference is similar but I use a MAC muffler and a 155 main jet with a 55 pilot jet.  I actually like the K&N filter (the direct drop-in replacement for the stock filter, not the pod).  I think they actually clean the air better (if properly cleaned and oiled) and allow better flow.

However, if you want your bike to stay quiet, omit the muffler change and the pilot jet change and only upsize the main jet to 150 while keeping the stock muffler.  Just stuff to think about though.  Read a lot of posts here - and go back a ways too.  Don't get into too big a hurry to change stuff.  Weigh your options.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 07/29/05 at 13:04:49

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
 Don't get into too big a hurry to change stuff.  Weigh your options.

that is excatly why i did  appearance mods to my 04 first. still weighing my options on the performance mods.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 07/29/05 at 17:45:51

In my opinion, if You will do the mods , the sooner, the better. The Savage runs very lean from the factory even with stock exhaust. Why wait for the break in period do finish- in this period the bike runs even harder and hotter. Help it with the 1/2 spacer and idle mixture adjustment. For the main jet You should wait for the exhaust and the filter. The only disadvantage going this way is that You will have to tinker with the carb. twise, but tinkering is part of the fun.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #6 - 07/29/05 at 18:19:32

One thing to consider is whether or not the warranty will cover repairs if you've done some mods.  A repair could be expensive if the dealer blames the problem on a mod you did, even if it didn't actually cause the problem, and you have to pay for it out of your pocket because they say you voided the warranty.

So weigh the options & pick your mods carefully.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 07/29/05 at 19:41:20

Yes, but who will see that You went to 1/2 spacer? Somebody will have to take the carb apart, and has to know what the stock thickness of the spacer is and after that has to measure.
 About the pilot mixture screw cap - every time when a shop is cleaning the carburetor, they are supposed to adjust the mix. screw, so they have to remove the cap. At least in the dealership where I was working, nobody ever put the cap back.
In the moment when You go to aftermarket exhaust You are in the twilight zone - everything is in the hands of the dealer and Suzuki company.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:07:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › When to modify?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.