Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
$@*!?** I lost my keys (Read 48 times)
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Re: $@*!?** I lost my keys
Reply #15 - 07/29/05 at 07:54:41

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
On the fork lock scene... I believe you'd have to replace the entire lock but it's probably better to just use a disc lock instead.

You can get a steering lock key blank from here (get 2)  

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks4.html

and have a locksmith impression a key with it for your fork lock.  It may be a little more expensive than spending $28 or so for a new fork lock, but it will save you the work of switching the locks.  You could try to make the key yourself if you wanted to try it - put the blank in the lock and twist it hard in each direction so that the pins make marks on the blank & file down the marks.  Repeat the process, making small adjustments each time.  I've never tried it, but it sounds interesting.  One thing I read said to hold the key above a candle or lighter so it gets black with soot  and then twist it in the lock.  The pins should make clean  marks on the blank.

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/29/05 at 08:14:50

where could I get a replacement fork lock, like the whole unit?

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #17 - 07/29/05 at 12:24:19

Weez wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
where could I get a replacement fork lock, like the whole unit?

Call different dealers because prices can vary a lot.  You might try online as well like bikebandit -

Look at part #21 in the link below

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~mp_id~~mscssid~1LSBE...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 07/29/05 at 13:04:23

I'd look at RonAyers.com too.  They are usually slightly cheaper than BikeBandit.  However, BikeBandit now offers a discount to AMA members, so take that into account if it applies.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #19 - 07/29/05 at 21:41:09

Come on, It can't be so bad !
Here You can get keys made for $15-25. Pull Your seat, take 4mm alen wrench and remove the ign. switch. If everything is original, the same key should open all the locks. If not - You will have to remove the gas tank and eventually the fuel, so gas cap key is made and after that use a screw driver and remove the battery box cover and have a key made for it.
The only problem is to find a blank for the steering lock key. You might have to go to the stealer or check the Ebay.
  Good luck !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #20 - 07/31/05 at 12:53:15

So what's the latest with your keys?  Did you find them?

IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/02/05 at 12:31:32

Sorry i havent been online in a while...WOW lots of help from this topic! But, NO i havent found them. im "over" the initial feeling on shock and depression and now am trying to deal with my predicament.   Grin  i had a locksmith come by my house this morning to take a look at the bike. I was at work at the time, and i have yet to hear from him. but my roommate showed him the bike, and she said that HE said it shouldnt be so hard for him to make new keys. Bottom line, i havent talked to him yet so i dont know how much its going to cost or what the deal is. other locksmiths i talked to ranged from  $160 to $250 for them to come TO the bike and make the key and most of them wont touch the bike. this guy has motorcycle experience so we'll see... i will update you on the progress

also- the 1987 ignition on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-LS-650-SAVAGE-GAS-CAP-HELMET-LOCK-IGNIT...)
would that work in a '98? If so i will for sure go that route if the locksmith is too expensive. If anyone knows off hand, pleeease let me know!! thanks!
lauren
ps- missing my bike like a puppy misses her mama

IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/03/05 at 10:03:50

Update: Locksmith went ahead and made the keys. He said the ignition has a number on it, and he took it off to get it. Hes coming back today to reinstall the ignition and to give me the new keys. Cost me $60- which isnt too bad, considering hes making two trips down to my house and i get the keys today. the set on ebay would be cheaper, yes, but with shipping it would probably be 20-25 dollars and i dont know if it will even fit my bike. plus id have to wait for them to be shipped and then worry about installing them correctly, drilling out the old gas cap and all that jazz. i guess thats the price i pay for being careless and also wanting instant gratification. Guess it could be worse/ more expensive. Thanks all for your help, and let me say again: WRITE DOWN YOUR KEY CODE!!!! also if you have your bike apart ever, WRITE DOWN THE NUMBER ON YOUR IGNITION!!! If id know to do these two things, this would have been alot less stressful. live and learn.

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #23 - 08/03/05 at 10:15:48

I think you made the right decision going with the locksmith; anything else should really be used as a last resort IMHO.  When you start taking stuff off your bike and mixing and matching, you can end up with a disorganized headache.  Is he doing the fork lock as well?  If not, check the link I posted and see about getting the steering lock blanks & get the locksmith to make a key.  It sounds like the locksmith you've got is pretty customer-oriented.  Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck!

IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 08/03/05 at 11:24:39

No i dont think he did the fork lock. as i said before i dont really use it, but who knows, maybe in the meantime my old keys will turn up. if not, then i think i will eventually try your suggestion. thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:06:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $@*!?** I lost my keys

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.