Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
$@*!?** I lost my keys (Read 48 times)
lcs151
Ex Member

$@*!?** I lost my keys
07/28/05 at 13:35:58

Just want to vent- I lost my keys to my savage. ive looked for 2 days for them. of course i dont have a backup set, and of course the weather is gorgeous. my boyfriend is being a sweetie and is just as desparate as I to find them (he loves riding with me that much!) so weve both been looking like maniacs. Let this be a lesson to you all: if you havent done this: WRITE DOWN YOUR KEY CODE SOMEWHERE SAFE. i didnt know to do that, and had i had that number, i could easily have a new key made. instead now im either going to have to have a locksmith make keys for my bike $150, or get a new ignition and gas cap ($200). A very expensive mistake. ive decided to wait and see if they pop up anywhere. but my luck, as soon as i fork over the money for the new keys, i'll find the old ones. anyone know a cheaper alternative? (hot wire?... heheh)
Just venting and THIS SUCKS MAJOR A**
-Lauren

IP Logged
john smith

Re: $@*!?** I lost my keys
Reply #1 - 07/28/05 at 13:58:18

maybe you can get the key code from the dealer...i used to work in a lock shop and most of the dealers have the key code...just has to corresponde with the vin#...
good luck

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 07/28/05 at 14:11:53

hot wire the bike, drill out the cap, and go riding.  Cheesy

i know that advice doesnt help you find the keys, but it will get you out on the road.  Roll Eyes

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/28/05 at 14:25:40

ya they only keep the key codes if u buy it new- i got it used from them

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #4 - 07/28/05 at 15:58:34

A new lockset with 2 sets of keys is about $155 & doesn't include the fork lock.  You can buy key blanks on the Internet for $6-8 each & a local locksmith near me told me he can impression the blank & file a new key for about $25.  He said it would take about 10 minutes.  You probably have someone similar in your area if you look long enough.  So you could get it done for about $40 with a couple of blanks + labor & then a few more dollars to get the second blank cut to match the impressioned key.  That still leaves you without a fork lock, unless your particular year used the same key for everything (I don't think they did), but it's better than $150.

Try this link for blanks if you end up having to use a locksmith -

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks4.html

A new fork lock w/keys is about $28 plus the aggravation of switching them out.

IP Logged
john smith

Reply #5 - 07/28/05 at 16:05:43

the vin number alone will lead you to the key code if you talk to the right person who is willing to help you...new or used...
lock shops can even find out if they really wanted to as long as you have the vin number...
good luck....

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 07/28/05 at 16:42:11

There is an ignition lock and gas cap with keys for a Savage on e-bay right now. Looks like it is everything you would need. Good luck.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #7 - 07/28/05 at 18:22:34

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
There is an ignition lock and gas cap with keys for a Savage on e-bay right now. Looks like it is everything you would need. Good luck.

That won't get you the helmet lock (which you probably don't need) or the toolbox/battery cover lock (which you probably do need).  That wouldn't matter with the ignition lock if you were going to use it temporarily because you can unscrew it and install the new one & switch them back later, but it would matter with the gas cap unless you have a full tank already & aren't going that far right now while you're still trying to find your keys.  This is assuming you want to save your present gas cap & not drill the lock in case you find the keys.

wow - those were some serious run-on sentences...

If it were me and I gave up on finding the keys, I would try the VIN # route & if that didn't work, buy the key blanks and have a locksmith make me  new keys.  That's better than hacking on your bike & having different keys for everything.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/28/05 at 18:43:35

I would just get this key set with ignition and gas cap

SUZUKI SAVAGE LS650 LS 650 IGNIT AND GAS LOCK AND KEY J

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-LS-650-IGNIT-AND-GAS-LOCK-...

its from a 2003.   CALL DIBS on it haha

It seems people here are respectful enough to respect each other.!   TRY it before u go to a locksmith FUR SURE!

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/28/05 at 18:48:53

I found one for an 87 too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-LS-650-SAVAGE-GAS-CAP-HELMET-LOCK-IGNIT...

comes with helmet lock too.  WOW ur in luck!

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #10 - 07/28/05 at 18:51:44

Hey, did you buy it new? if so, the dealership has to  (or should) keep a copy of the "Pre-Delivery Inspection" on file that has the key code wrote on it. if you bought it used, you may be able to find out where the previous owner bought it and go that route. I know about these things because I'm usally filling them out about everyday. Hope this helps you out!!!

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/28/05 at 20:29:15

Hey,

Harsh luck on the key loss.

my bike didn't come with the key for the fork lock.  Any way to solve this?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 07/29/05 at 05:41:13

So far as keys go, I got one for the ignition/gascap/toolcover and one for the fork lock when I bought my bike used.  The first thing I did was get three copies of each.  The main key was available at Home Depot but the fork lock is a little harder.  I bought some blanks from eBay and then had copies made at Ace Hardware (where they still had the older type key-copying machines instead of the type that require a specific template).  I have since noticed that the key blanks are also available from RonAyers.com via the microfiche.  If you find yours, make a few extras.

On the fork lock scene... I believe you'd have to replace the entire lock but it's probably better to just use a disc lock instead.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

yRe: $@*!?** I lost my keys
Reply #13 - 07/29/05 at 06:41:20

ok sounds good, I have to copies of my main key but I think i'll get another.

As far as disc locks go, where do you find them, how do they work and how much do they cost?

thanks,

weez

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 07/29/05 at 06:56:24

Here's an article/buyer's guide.
http://motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/locksbg/

I use the Kryptonite New York disc lock.

Be careful not to get the Kryptonite Evolution locks.  There are several of the type that use the circular keys that can be easily picked.  See link below.
http://www.engadget.com/common/videos/pt/lock.wmv

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:08:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $@*!?** I lost my keys

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.