Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Overheating damage? (Read 14 times)
shawn_b
Ex Member

Re: Overheating damage?
Reply #15 - 07/31/05 at 22:38:24

i think the shaking of the motor helps keep it cool like bees flap there wing when the hive gets to hot

shawn

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #16 - 07/31/05 at 22:55:34

Could bee......
During August motion is your only friend, keep it moving. I have seen a couple of Electra Glides (w/ rider) pulled over while traffic is jammed in construction zones, tired of riding the clutch and holding the overheated behemouths up.
I have been trapped like that and rode the sidewalks & back alleys downtown vs. idling endlessly in 1st.
This was a year ago. after dark, and the heat coming up was all from my motor.  

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #17 - 08/01/05 at 10:18:43

In my expirience, the Savage is the most seizing street bike on the road. This is a bike that like a rule has an issue with the lubrication, because it boils the oil away.
This is an engineering flaw.
All the seizures I've seen have been at high speeds, because of extremely lean running.
I don't want to go into a discussion about the oils, because it will never end. The truth is that it doesn't matter what oil do You use, it allways deteriorates and if You want to have in Your bike what You put into it, You have to change the oil every 1000 miles. The synthetic oils keep the viscosity longer time, but they are more expensive, so for the same money You can change Your regular oil more frequently. The truth is:
#1 Proper  jetting - lean / stock/ means hot
#2 Clean oil
#3 Comon sense - don't make the bike's life harder than what it is.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/02/05 at 01:00:45

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
You have to change the oil every 1000 miles.

Seriously?  There is no way I will ever change my oil that often.  That would be as frequently as I put gas in my car.  Is this what others actually do?  I guess I will be a test as to how long a bike will last going 3k between changes b/c I intend to ride mine into the ground.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 08/02/05 at 07:34:10

I run Amsoil  sythetic oil in my Savage and change the oil and filter at about 2500-3000 miles...not because the oil is not longer good but because it is getting dirty.  If the Savage had a better filter then the oil would go much longer.  It is the dirt in the oil that causes the wear on the engine parts...it is an abarasive that grinds on the bearing surfaces.  
I have never heard anyone report that their Savage engine seized because of HEAT.  I may have missed it somewhere but I do not remember any reports of that.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 08/02/05 at 08:00:25

I'm with Lancer on this.  I'm running Maxum 4 Extra 15w50 full synthetic and only change it at about every 2000-2500 and only then because I've had the bike less than a year and am watching it closely.  At the next change I'll install the magnetic drain plug and see if it picks up anything.  So far, my oild has been clean and the engine runs great, even in 100+ F Texas summer heat.  I will probably switch my pattern to 2000 in heat and 3000 otherwise.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #21 - 08/02/05 at 12:02:00

Every 1,000 miles seems a bit much for an oil change. I've been using 20-50w dino juice and change both the filter and oil somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 miles and the oil looks black and used. If I was using a synthetic then I would change somewhere after 2,500 miles. I've blown up one too many car engines by trying to save a buck on an oil change. Once the engine gets damaged from low or old oil you are basicly scr-ewed. A couple quarts of oil is cheap compared to a overhaul. just my 2 cents, Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:43:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overheating damage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.