Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Overheating damage? (Read 14 times)
Richard Amirault

Overheating damage?
07/25/05 at 07:22:58

Other than it says something to the effect that it's not good for the bike .. the owners manual says nothing about the effects on the bike of overheating.

During this summer I've had a few days in heavy stop and go traffic  .... let out the clutch .. no, not all the way .. stop .. wait ... let out the clutch .. no, not all the way .. stop .. wait  (and so on)  during 85 to 90 temps.

I could feel the heat coming off the big cyclinder.  I've decided not to go that route any longer if at all possible (at least until it turns cooler) but, was wondering if I may have already damaged my bike.

Anyone know what might be affected by overheating the bike, and maybe that it might be the cause for the change in my exaust note (sharper than before) and more frequent backfires (louder than before)

Richard in Boston, MA

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Overheating damage?
Reply #1 - 07/25/05 at 07:45:22

Biggest problem will be rapid oil degradation. Overheating can also "cook" the valves, eroding away the leading edges of the valve faces.

Is the top end noisier? Or just the exhaust note?

Change the oil, adjust the idle screw out, and find a less packed way to work.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 07/25/05 at 09:04:04

Hey Amirault, how did you make out with your handlebar alignment? You didn't follow up with the group to let us know if our advice was helpful/correct.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #3 - 07/25/05 at 09:13:15

On this subject, Is there an overheat warning light?  I see 2 indicators at the bottom of the speedo, but I'm not sure what they are for.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 07/25/05 at 09:17:12

There is no temperature warning indicator on the Savage. It's an air cooled big single, so is prone to running hot in high temperatures. It's just the nature of the beast.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Reply #5 - 07/25/05 at 09:58:45

Is there any way to tell if the engine is getting too hot?  I mean, it seems to always be hot in my case.  I can't tell the difference between regular hot and too hot.  

I live in Baltimore, MD and do a lot of stop and go city driving.   I'd hate to kill my engine by burning it up.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 07/25/05 at 10:22:00

Not sure whether you'd want to spend the cash on it but here's an Oil Temperature Gauge.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 07/25/05 at 10:36:33

When an engine gets too hot you may hear detonation. This is a pinging or knocking sound  heard in the cumbustion chamber (cylinder head) under acceleration. It is normally caused by a tuning/ignition misque, but it could be a precursor to idling/slow running in high ambient temperatures.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 07/25/05 at 10:45:04

Personally, I assume that the engine is designed to withstand normal ambient temperatures in stop-and-go driving.  For normal ambient temps, I include my normal highs here in the Dallas area of 100+ F.  This assumes using a grade of oil to support it.  I'm using 15w50 pure synthetic with no known problems.  I've considered the oil temp gauge myself but couldn't justify the cost in my own mind since I believe the engine is stout enough to take it.  If I were planning on doing stop-and-go in Death Valley, I'd probably buy one.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 07/25/05 at 11:01:17

I agree with you Savage_Rob. The Savage does not generally have a problem with overheating. I like your Death Valley comparison. That was sort of what I meant by high ambient temperatures. I'm thinking if you are in Death Valley this afternoon and your Savage is idling while you are smelling all the new flowers growing there this year, you may have a problem.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 07/25/05 at 17:16:55

Clymer manual, page 35, chart shows 40W or xx-40W or xx-50W motor oil to be suitable for over 104 degrees ambient temperature.

I use Catrol GTX 20-50, chart show it good for 14 - 104+ degrees.  I'm only good for 50-100.  As usual, the Savage is far more capable than I am.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/25/05 at 19:52:54

Easiest way to test for overheating: Is the pipe purple? Not yellow, not blue, purple. If it is, it has slightly overheated. Key word is slightly.

My 98 loved Castrol GTX 20W50 car oil year-round. I'm planning to up the weight in the Intruder as well.  If you prefer a bike-spec oil, Castrol Actevo is good, so is Spectro, Torco, and MPZ.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/26/05 at 18:59:58

I removed the 2 chrome trim pieces from the head 'cause I liked the way it looked but it might allow a little more airflow over the top of the head too. Still, I don't worry much about overheating the engine because there's lots of Screamin' Eagle Harleys out there running fine & those rear cylinders don't get a lot of cool air.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
roughrider
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/31/05 at 16:43:13

I experienced Severe heat this year in Kansas City. Over 100 degrees for about a week. I thought the cylinder was to hot too. Turned out that the payment underneath me was what was putting off the heat. These bikes are designed to handle it. Mine did! I travel about 38 miles each day stopping in heavy rush hour to and from work. I haven't  noticed any problems with the heating up of the bike, just me! The motor will get louder as it heats up. This is normal for air cooled motors. Your motor will probably shut down if it gets to hot from just sitting still. Your only true airflow is when the bike is moving.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #14 - 07/31/05 at 20:59:37

Sorry, pipe color has little to do w/ excessive head temps while stuck in summer traffic. A parts guy raving against synthetic oil vs. dyno juice is lacking evidence.
But when stuck in stop and go traffic w/ 10 more miles to go, synthetic oil will be on my piston skirt and valve guides, while you are baking black stuff on your ratbikes moving parts w/your dyno juice in similar conditions.
There is a reason after GM began installing turbos back in the 80s, they began specing/shipping w/ Mobil1 after the exceptional high heat in the turbos was killing the dyno juice and likewise cooking in the BEARINGS. We are talking about a vehicle that only diverted a small percentage of flow to the turbo on an otherwise water-cooled engine.
Now I will grant that the chemistry in both synthetics and dyno is better than ever.  Dyno oil will do the job if one never abuses the bike and changes it more frequently.
If stuck in Dallas heat w/ your motor, ...well your bikes just may not warrant good oil.

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Easiest way to test for overheating: Is the pipe purple? Not yellow, not blue, purple. If it is, it has slightly overheated. Key word is slightly.

My 98 loved Castrol GTX 20W50 car oil year-round. I'm planning to up the weight in the Intruder as well.  If you prefer a bike-spec oil, Castrol Actevo is good, so is Spectro, Torco, and MPZ.
-WD

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:00:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overheating damage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.