Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Seat & idle screw/carb rejet issues -- again. (Read 12 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Seat & idle screw/carb rejet issues -- aga
Reply #15 - 07/29/05 at 20:58:22

The stock screws are pretty soft - if you have an offset phillips that fits properly you may be ok a few times -

These carbs use the Large round jet for main but the small round will fit.

I can not count on the dealers - the ones here just do not stock main jets except for the oem size - had a dealer try to tell me $7 was good deal as he should be asking $15 for it - about $5 is more reasonable, so I ordered quite a sack full from an internet dealer.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #16 - 07/29/05 at 21:54:21

milesb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
One last thought, are the jets specific to the carb model?  I have a Suzi dealer not too far away, so I'll assume they should have them - planning on getting at least a few sizes (150, 152.5 and 155).

Not specific to the carb. Standard Mikuni large jets. I had to special order mine through a local dealer. He found them in an aftermarket catalogue. Some have reported getting them at a Harley dealer.

You should consider adding a 1/2 spacer. Removing the entire spacer makes the bike too rich in the midrange. 1/2 spacer in mine is perfect. I took a stock spacer and sanded it down with some 220 sandpaper. I used a micrometer to measure it.

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 07/30/05 at 05:39:48

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Not specific to the carb. Standard Mikuni large jets. I had to special order mine through a local dealer. He found them in an aftermarket catalogue. Some have reported getting them at a Harley dealer.

You should consider adding a 1/2 spacer. Removing the entire spacer makes the bike too rich in the midrange. 1/2 spacer in mine is perfect. I took a stock spacer and sanded it down with some 220 sandpaper. I used a micrometer to measure it.

I have an email into the former owner of the bike to see if he replaced the spacer with anything like #4 washers, etc.

If I have no spacer, I'm not getting any appreciable backfire, the bike seems to idle and run well, and I have slightly increased the airflow by drilling the baffle, should I just stick with the stock main jet?  I guess what I'm asking is does drilling the baffle "balance" the effect of removing the spacer?

Again, I really appreciate the indulgence of the folks in this group.  I've gotten a lot of great advice on D-I-Y maintenance and mods.

Miles

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 07/30/05 at 07:16:34

Yup, just Mikuni large round jets.  In fact, I was able to get them for $3 each (already in stock) at a local HD dealer.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #19 - 07/30/05 at 15:28:04

milesb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I guess what I'm asking is does drilling the baffle "balance" the effect of removing the spacer?

Yes it does. The freer flowing your exhaust is, the richer you need your jetting to be. I would think going up a size or 2 from stock (145?) on the main jet would be a good idea. The best way to determine if your main jet is correct is by reading the plugs after doing a full throttle shut down.

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/jetting/plugreadings.htm

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:42:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat & idle screw/carb rejet issues -- again.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.