Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Selling the Savage to buy a Yamaha Virago 1100? (Read 0 times)
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Selling the Savage to buy a Yamaha Virago 1100?
07/22/05 at 21:04:07

I took my exhaust system off the Savage today & went to the muffler shop to get an adapter made to use a Sportster muffler (even if Greg doesn't like them Smiley ).  I talked to the manager about what I wanted to do & also asked him whose Virago that was in the parking lot that was for sale.  He said it was his & he was looking at buying a bigger bike for him and his wife.  Well, I've been looking for a bigger bike that my wife & I could ride together on without it being huge, and this might be the ticket.  It is a black & chrome 1992 model with windshield & hard bags that is just beautiful & looks like it just rolled out of the showroom.  So I ended up putting my stock exhaust back on for now instead of spending any money on it.  The Yamaha sounds awesome and runs great - took it for a test ride, but after I got my exhaust back on, I went for a test ride on the Savage to check for leaks and it was SO MUCH FUN.  Don't know what to do because I don't think there is any way my wife will agree to having 2 motorcycles & I can understand that, so I'll probably have to sell the Savage if I decide to get the Virago.

What do y'all think?  (Yes I know I am opening up the proverbial can of worms)

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: Selling the Savage to buy a Yamaha Virago 1100
Reply #1 - 07/23/05 at 00:09:36

My uncle bought a 95 750 Virago and I think its nice.  Im sure I would like the power of a 1100 more tho.  I like my Savage alot too, but I believe it doesnt have enough power or acceleration to meet my needs.  I do like the easy maintence but I feel I have already outgrown it and its only been like 6 months.

Most people think Im crazy but after riding a vmax I loved it.  I think it does look kinda dated and kinda ugly but the raw energy it releases is intoxicating.  I also believe it is one of the best deals financially for a musclebike.  I dont plan on ever doing any long dist crusing. Good luck with your decision.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 07/23/05 at 06:07:32

Let your butt dcide...I gave my Savage away and am hunting for a bigger bike. I loved the Savage, but...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/23/05 at 08:02:30

GaThumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I took my exhaust system off the Savage today & went to the muffler shop to get an adapter made to use a Sportster muffler (even if Greg doesn't like them Smiley ).  I talked to the manager about what I wanted to do & also asked him whose Virago that was in the parking lot that was for sale.  He said it was his & he was looking at buying a bigger bike for him and his wife.  Well, I've been looking for a bigger bike that my wife & I could ride together on without it being huge, and this might be the ticket.  It is a black & chrome 1992 model with windshield & hard bags that is just beautiful & looks like it just rolled out of the showroom.  So I ended up putting my stock exhaust back on for now instead of spending any money on it.  The Yamaha sounds awesome and runs great - took it for a test ride, but after I got my exhaust back on, I went for a test ride on the Savage to check for leaks and it was SO MUCH FUN.  Don't know what to do because I don't think there is any way my wife will agree to having 2 motorcycles & I can understand that, so I'll probably have to sell the Savage if I decide to get the Virago.

Smiley  That discussion is in another topic  Smiley

This forum is devoted to Savages, first, and bikes in general, second.  And, I have always liked the Viragos.  In a way, I think they were the grand beginning of the current V-twin craze....in fact, I remember they were greeted with awe by some riders and disdain by others simply for their obvious intended competition with the HD market...a lot of interest and skepticism for a 70 something degree twin back in the early 80s.

Yamaha has since replaced the Viragos with another model using the same crankshaft config, but having completely reworked jugs and heads...I was sad to see them go simply for the nostalgia of it all.  But, of course, there is still the cute little 250 model...

Anyway, if you want one, I think that it is a great choice if it is in good condition.  Go for it.

BTW - will you be installing Screaming Eagles on it too?
8)

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/23/05 at 08:04:28

Of Course He Will   Tongue

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #5 - 07/23/05 at 14:08:31

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
BTW - will you be installing Screaming Eagles on it too?
8)

It's already got a great sounding exhaust and the carbs were rejetted to match the pipes.  And that was a Sportster not a Screaming Eagle  Grin

We'll see what happens.  The Savage is an awesome bike for what it is, so this is in no way critical of it.  Just looking for the right bike that fits a particular purpose.  I wish my wife was interested in driving the Savage, but she just wants to be a passenger.  The funny thing is that I just bought dannimal's bags & crash bar.  I wasn't serously looking for another bike - this just sort of happened.

IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/23/05 at 17:07:14

GaThumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Don't know what to do because I don't think there is any way my wife will agree to having 2 motorcycles & I can understand that, so I'll probably have to sell the Savage if I decide to get the Virago.

I think you should convince your wife to ride the Savage for herself.  Then you can have both!

Unlike WD, I LOVE my Intruder, and I love my Savage too.  I got hubby riding when I bought the Intruder and so now we have two bikes.  It's great!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 07/23/05 at 19:10:16

My uncle and I rode in the Arizona desert for many years.  Both bikes were capable of riding double which meant that if either bike died no one would be walking out.

By having the spouse ride a separate bike you have insurance against being stranded.  If either bike dies you can park it and lock it and continue on the remaining bike to go get assistance.

WWW   IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/23/05 at 22:59:22

my hole thing is that the savage is a hell of a good bike but it is limited i wish all the japanise ???bike makers would stop making these harley craperson look a like bike if i wanted a harley craperson i would go buy just one(something i would never do) go back to the 70's&80's sjb bike  8)

just my 2 cents

shawn

IP Logged
roughrider
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/30/05 at 17:24:46

Smartest move you could ever make!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #10 - 07/30/05 at 18:46:10

RoughRider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Smartest move you could ever make!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I bought the Virago this past Monday & have already put about 150 miles on it.  It rode it some today & then took the Savage out to keep the battery charged up.  The Savage felt like a minibike after riding the Virago.  I'm going to put the Savage up for sale - I was hoping to hang on to it, but my wife, understandably, wants me to sell it.  One of us has to be fiscally responsible Smiley

Before I sell it, I hope to get my older son riding on it a little in our church parking lot.  I may be able to talk my wife into riding it a little, too.

Well, as of yesterday (31st) I've now put about 180 miles on the Virago.  I really like this bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:06:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Selling the Savage to buy a Yamaha Virago 1100?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.