Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag Bracket fabrication... (Read 7 times)
tri
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

spartan

Colorado
Saddlebag Bracket fabrication...
07/24/05 at 18:15:18

I have been trying to find the POST regarding the saddle bag brackets and their dimensions to see about having them fabricated. Does anyone know where I should look? I have done a few searches on the forum, but have come up empty handed.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to see about having them fabricated in Michigan? I've just started my search.

Or, should I just look at buying the stock brackets online somewhere? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Re: Saddlebag Bracket fabrication...
Reply #1 - 07/24/05 at 20:24:10

tri

The post used to be under the technical document section. It has vanished. Not sure why.....

Perrydasavage had the plans in question..Hopefully he still has them on his computer....Perhaps you can look for him on the members page, and pm him.......They are great plans.  I plan on fabricating some myself, when I get the time.

Good luck Smiley

Cheers

Michael

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 07/25/05 at 05:50:15

Hi all ... will try dig out those plans ... they're easy to make and work just fine!

Here ya go!

Here they are on my Bike ... sorry for the quality of the pic ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
tri
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

spartan

Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/25/05 at 06:19:51

Michael,

I thought I had came across the post for fabrication before, but that was before I actually had purchased my Savage. Nice to know that I'm not loosing my mind  Wink At least I don't think I lost it, but I can't remember Smiley

Tri

IP Logged
tri
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

spartan

Colorado
Reply #4 - 07/25/05 at 06:25:16

Perrydasavage,

Thanks for the picture. Do you know what the dimensions are across the bottom of the bracket? I'm thinking probably 18cm or so. Also, can I ask what you ended up making your brackets out of and what gauge they are?

I also remember coming across a post that someone had left about fabricating brackets out of a type of plastic that was moldable. Haven't been able to find that post either.

Thanks again for the pics!

Tri

IP Logged
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/25/05 at 07:12:19

I don't know if these would be a good option, but I just saw an ad on Beginner and Beyond for brackets for $30 shipped.
Here's the ad: http://www.beginnerandbeyond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=zClassifieds&fil...

They are made of 3/16" steel rods:

Tim

IP Logged
tri
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

spartan

Colorado
Reply #6 - 07/25/05 at 19:02:44

TBeck,

After taking a look at the link that you posted, I decided that I should probably try making one myself first before paying $30.00.

After a trip to Home Depot, I purchased two 3' rods that were 3/16" for just over 4 bucks. From the dimensions that Perrydasavage sent (by the way thanks Perrydasavage, made life much easier) I used a pair of Vise Grips and some brute force to bend the rod to fit the dimensions. After getting it to the correct specs, I sanded, primered, and painted it a flat black. All in all, it cost me a little under $10.00 to construct my own. I'll post pics later this week from start to finish.

IP Logged
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/26/05 at 09:43:26

Glad you could save at least $20 and get the job done!  I look forward to seeing the pics.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/27/05 at 16:19:00

Could you post on the dimensions please? I think we are going to tackle that job.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/28/05 at 05:04:55

^^^  The dimensions are marked on the picture of the Suzuki originals that PerrydaSavage posted above (3rd post, 1st picture).

IP Logged
tri
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

spartan

Colorado
Reply #10 - 07/28/05 at 10:09:00

RadarOReily,

I used the dimensions from the post that Perrydasavage posted, mine ended up being close to the suzuki brackets but not exact (I figure a cm here or there is not a big deal as long as they don't end up not fitting Grin ). If you right click on the photo and do a "save as"...then save to your computer and open it. When you open it the picture is at a higher res and bigger so it's easier to read. I will also post the pictures of how I made mine as soon as I get a chance to resize the photos.  Good luck.

Tri

IP Logged
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/28/05 at 10:13:35

Here is a direct link to the image so that you can see it fullsize in your browser window: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/PerrydaSavage/bagbracket.jpg

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #12 - 07/28/05 at 17:48:47

I made some from copper tubing one day when it was raining.  SOOOO easy to bend, flatten, drill, etc.  I painted them black.  I would not do it again like this, the copper was too soft.  Plus I didn't take any measurements.

BUT THEY WORKED.  Here's the post:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:25:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag Bracket fabrication...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.