Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
1st Time Rider (Read 3 times)
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Re: 1st Time Rider
Reply #30 - 07/21/05 at 21:32:44

i'm still stubborn  Grin i got a pair of gloves, and i sweat with or without them but i dont like the way they feel and i still like to stretch and sure its dangerous but so is riding with out a helmet. but thats the choice we make. Smoking ciggarettes can kill you too but thats the choice we make. drinking lots of alcohol can give you liver disease but thats the choice we make. Whats funny is that in the state of texas to not wear a helmet "legaly" you have to take the MSF course. Its kinda funny that someone would pay all that money to learn something and not listen way before they even went to the class.

to each its own. and i'm sure there are lots of deaths or injuries that can be avoided by following simple procedures but id rather ride gloveless in this 100+ degree weather and jacketless and helmetless and i like to stretch when i'm at lights.

IP Logged
RocksimusMaximus
2005 No Login

Reply #31 - 07/21/05 at 21:53:33

Karen627 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Let's see -- what started this whole discussion?  Oh yeah -- Ryan.  Hello, Ryan!  Congrats on the bike.  You'll love it.  (What color did you get?  I got the white one myself.)

8)

I got the black. But there was a white one right next to it in the show room. Pretty sharp. But I just couldnt pass up the classic black and chrome for my first bike.

IP Logged
Deb
2005 No Login

02 silver savage :)
In the mountains of
East Tenn.

Tennessee
Reply #32 - 07/22/05 at 01:02:44

Joel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Good advice. I might add that your "clutch muscles" will improve with time. When I first started my hand would get sore, but now I don't have that problem.

Yes, your muscles will get stronger but I have been having problems with my trumb starting to go numb on me any suggest on this?

YaBBCJunior
Littled200056   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #33 - 07/22/05 at 01:33:25

Well Ok Mike,
If you like to ride drunk, w/ a lit cigarette, w/o helmet & gloves, OK, just don't call for bail.
Just beware of them Texas cops.  Roll Eyes

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
i'm still stubborn  Grin i got a pair of gloves, and i sweat with or without them but i dont like the way they feel and i still like to stretch and sure its dangerous but so is riding with out a helmet. but thats the choice we make. Smoking ciggarettes can kill you too but thats the choice we make. drinking lots of alcohol can give you liver disease but thats the choice we make. Whats funny is that in the state of texas to not wear a helmet "legaly" you have to take the MSF course. Its kinda funny that someone would pay all that money to learn something and not listen way before they even went to the class.

to each its own. and i'm sure there are lots of deaths or injuries that can be avoided by following simple procedures but id rather ride gloveless in this 100+ degree weather and jacketless and helmetless and i like to stretch when i'm at lights.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #34 - 07/22/05 at 06:29:32

Whats funny is that in the state of texas to not wear a helmet "legaly" you have to take the MSF course. Its kinda funny that someone would pay all that money to learn something and not listen way before they even went to the class.

That's not entirely true.  You could also carry appropriate insurance instead.  In either case, you must also be at least 21 years old and, technically, you must apply for a sticker in order to be exempt from helmet laws.  In practice however, if you were ticketed, you could then obtain the sticker and show that in court to get out of the ticket.

=============================

TRC §661.003.

OFFENSES RELATING TO NOT WEARING PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) operates or rides as a passenger on a motorcycle on a public street or highway; and

(2) is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person carries on a motorcycle on a public street or highway a passenger who is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.

(c)  It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a) or (b) that at the time the offense was committed, the person required to wear protective headgear  was at least 21 years old and had successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662 or was covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding on a motorcycle .

(d)  The Department of Public Safety shall issue a sticker to a person who:

(1)  applies to the department on a form provided by the department;

(2)  provides the department with evidence satisfactory to the department showing that the person:

(A)  is the owner of a motorcycle that is currently registered in this state; and

(B)  has successfully completed the training and safety course described by Subsection (c) or has the insurance coverage described by that subsection; and

(3)  pays a fee of $5 for the sticker .

(e)  A person may apply to the Department of Public Safety for a sticker for each motorcycle owned by the applicant.

(f)  A sticker issued by the Department of Public Safety under Subsection (d) expires on the third anniversary of the date of issuance.

(g)  A person operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle that displays on the license plate of the motorcycle or the license plate mounting bracket a sticker issued by the Department of Public Safety under Subsection (d) is presumed to have successfully completed the training and safety course described by Subsection (c) or to have the insurance coverage described by that subsection.

(h)  An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $10 or more than $50.

(i)  In this section, "health insurance plan" means an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, evidence of coverage, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.

=============================

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 07/22/05 at 08:11:34

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Well Ok Mike,
If you like to ride drunk, w/ a lit cigarette, w/o helmet & gloves, OK, just don't call for bail.
Just beware of them Texas cops.  Roll Eyes

this seems like a very difficult task. Maybee instead of doing motorcycle wheelies on I-35 at 100mph i'll try to do this  Grin

Now before another long thread goes. NO i do not do wheelies on I-35 at 100mph. Or at any speed for that matter. But hey the guys that do at least most of them wear there helmets jackets and gloves  Grin

and yes i know about the insurance it can be medical or life and i know about the $5 sticker which i have. But i was trieng to make a point. not very clear one i guess.

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 07/22/05 at 12:51:37

RocksimusMaximus wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I got the black. But there was a white one right next to it in the show room. Pretty sharp. But I just couldnt pass up the classic black and chrome for my first bike.

Yeah, I like the black one too, even though my taste obviously runs more towards the white.  

But then again, I was at a dealership looking at the M50 a couple of weeks ago (it may very well be my second bike one day -- not for a long time though).  I liked pictures of the M50 in blue, but when I saw the black M50 in person -- wow.  8)

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 07/22/05 at 22:37:36

Mike,

Well, ya gotta do what works for you.  I'm only wearing a half-helmet; at least it's DOT approved.  Lighter weight gear is a lot more protective than nothing, and the heat doesn't seem like a big deal over 30 mph.  

Don't mean to preach.  Guess I'm just too chicken to ride with much skin showing.

Regards, David

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 07/23/05 at 08:22:42

dont say your chicken. Your Smart and prolly much smarter than me. Its like you said. Do what works for you. I dont not wear a helmet because i think i look cool  8) i just do it because i cant stand the things. and some will say well you wont be able to stand it afterwards blah blah blah. yea  i know if i get into a wreck it will be much worse but i hope for the best and if something bad is going to happen its going to happen no matter what i do. anyway i haven't found a very comfortable helmet yet. and the day i do i will prolly wear one. i'd like to have something to help when its raining cus the raindrops hurt the face pretty bad but i just dont like it. My brother-in-law is new at riding and we went out to go for a ride and he says man i want to ride without a helmet but i 'm going to wait 6 months until i get more experience then i'll stop wearing it.

I explained to my brother-in-law the same thing its not about bieng cool or anything of the sort. If you are going to wear a helmet Just Do It, just because your experienced or amatuer shouldn't make your descision  It can happen if you're an expert.

So i say to you. You've made your descision dont change it and dont wish you could ride without one because then your gonna hate wearing one even more. When i first started i went into the helmet thing with a negative attitude which did make it harder for me to like it. If your positive about then that will help. When my B-in-law got his bike we sat there and told him how good he looked and took pictures etc. that made him go into it pretty positive.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #39 - 07/23/05 at 08:31:39

On this subject, if I had a personal protective force-field (other than my gremlin bell, thanks Git), I'd love to ride without gear simply because it's less crap to mess with.  In reality, as I've gotten older I've found that injuries take longer to heal and even that some are never the same again.  With that and the fact that I can't control the other denizens of the roads out there, I choose to wear protective gear.  I wear jacket with added armor, gloves, boots, half-chaps and a full-face helmet.  Every now and then I may leave off the half-chaps.  I used to wear a 3/4 helmet and actually loved its comfort but have since learned more about the common injuries.  While a 3/4 helmet may offer the same life-saving properties as a full-face model, I have grown attached to my face and jaw and prefer then intact.  That's just me though.  Go with your comfort level but please fill out a donor card no matter what gear you use.  It might allow someone else to continue to ride after you've moved on.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #40 - 07/23/05 at 11:05:19

... I dont not wear a helmet because i think i look cool  8) i just do it because i cant stand the things. ....
When i first started i went into the helmet thing with a negative attitude which did make it harder for me to like it. .....

As with everything in life you balance risks against pleasure.  Riding with the wind caressing your head and body is a great pleasure.  Riding without a helmet carries a slight risk or greater injury in the event of an accident.  Unless you have an accident the helmet is totally useless.   (The helmet part only, not counting the protection of the face shield against bugs and raindrops which requires a helmet to mount upon.)

I use to ride dirt, alot.  Not fast, but to go places I could not get to otherwise.  And I enjoyed the riding as well.  Except the one time when I had found a bat cave and returned with a backpack full of camera equipment worth triple what the bike was worth.  That ride was not enjoyable as I no longer had the option of dropping the bike.  As such I had to ride much more careful.

To a degree, street riding is the same.  Riding with a helmet and protective gear gives you the option of dropping the bike with less risk of injury.  With this option you may take risks that would be unacceptable when helmetless.  If you do not exercise that option then I do not see the need for a helmet, leathers, etc..

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #41 - 07/23/05 at 18:33:00

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Riding with a helmet and protective gear gives you the option of dropping the bike with less risk of injury.  With this option you may take risks that would be unacceptable when helmetless.  If you do not exercise that option then I do not see the need for a helmet, leathers, etc..

I have to disagree heartily.  If I were the only person out there and therefore controlled most of my risk, I would agree completely and would use far less gear.  But since there are thousands of others out there over whom I have little or no control and in whom I place no trust, I'll hedge my bets on survival somewhat.  To me, it's not a matter of trusting myself and my skills.  It's a matter of distrusting the rest of those idiots.  And to be honest, there are instances where laying it down is the best option available.

Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #42 - 07/23/05 at 19:05:59

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
.... And to be honest, there are instances where laying it down is the best option available.

I have to disagree heartily.  If you are not wearing protective gear laying it down is rarely the best option.  With the attitude that "laying it down is the best option" you will ride to the point where you will exercise that option.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #43 - 07/24/05 at 07:47:36

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
If you are not wearing protective gear laying it down is rarely the best option.

I can see where that's probably true.  In instances where laying it down with gear on would be the best possible option, and you've removed that option by not wearing gear, you're have left whatever remains.  Good luck and I hope you never need it!

WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #44 - 07/24/05 at 11:09:34

When I lived on the Wa/Id border, on the way into Idaho I'd stop the bike, take off my lid, and throw it into the ditch on the westbound side of the road.  If I rmembered, I'd stop and put it on riding back into Washington.  Angry

A good friend got hit back in 1995. Bumps, bruises, and a couple of scrapes. According to the highway patrol and the medical examiner, she died because her helmet broke her neck. No other broken bones.

April 2005 would have been our 11th anniversary. Our daughter would have turned 10 next month.

No amount of studies will ever convince me that helmets are a good thing.
-WD

As far as bikes being "donor-cycles" goes, if you were in the service and stationed in Britain, Spain, or Germany in the 1990s, you can't even donate blood. Counts me out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 20:21:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1st Time Rider

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.