Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
1st Time Rider (Read 3 times)
RocksimusMaximus
2005 No Login

1st Time Rider
07/20/05 at 10:30:26

I just purchased a brand new '05 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (this site greatly influenced my decision), and I LOVE it! It is my first bike, and I don't know a whole lot about them yet. So your expertise would be appreciated.

Whenever I've got her rollin everything runs and works great. But when I'm at a standstill.... she has a hell of a time shifting. Sometimes Ive got to release the clutch and pull it back in twice just to get it to go from neutral to first. And when it finally does its not exactly a smooth transition. And if I have to stop quickly and I find myself at a stop sign in a higher gear....I sometimes cant even get her to downshift all the way to neutral. Is this something that I should worry about...or is this all just part of the "break in period"?

Thanks,
Ryan

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: 1st Time Rider
Reply #1 - 07/20/05 at 10:55:50

Congratulations and welcome!

Downshifting while sitting still isn't smooth.  You need to release the clutch enough to engage, then disengage the clutch (pull it in) and downshift... lather/rinse/repeat until you're in 1st.  Do not stomp on it at all as you'll wind up bending the linkage and making it even more difficult (or impossible) to downshift.  The portion of linkage that bends is a short threaded rod and only costs about $6 but it's still inconvenient.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/20/05 at 10:58:57

i have a 2000 it dose the same thing i just have to keep playing with it to get it to go from second to first ask the dealer about it they might  have to adjust somthing  ???
thats what i would do being thats it still brand new

shawn

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 07/20/05 at 11:23:31

RocksimusMaximus wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
...if I have to stop quickly and I find myself at a stop sign in a higher gear....I sometimes cant even get her to downshift all the way to neutral. Is this something that I should worry about...or is this all just part of the "break in period"?

It's best to downshift while moving Ryan. They all shift like that and it will get better as you put the miles on. Nothing to worry about IMO. I ride a 2003 and it's exactly like you describe. Enjoy your new bike and ride safe.

IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/20/05 at 11:24:52

Actually, if you'll shift down to second as you are approaching a stop and then shift to first just before you come to a complete stop, you'll find that it shifts MUCH smoother.

Basically, the bike doesn't like to shift while standing still.  Period.  Most of them are that way...it's not just the Savage (or S40).

It's my theory that one should never sit at an intersection in neutral anyway.  I hold the clutch and sit at a traffic light in first gear.  That way, should there be an issue, I'm always ready to roll...plus I don't have the shifting issues that way.  I get to first before I stop the bike and then just hold the clutch until I'm ready to roll again.

IP Logged
kickthetires
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/20/05 at 11:52:03

Congrats on the new bike...I'm running down the same street...this is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on....

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/20/05 at 12:59:21

I dont know but holding the clutch at a light sucks for me. I like to stretch. I've had this problem only a few times on my 87 savage and i notice its a spot on the gear it happens to land on if i roll my bike foward or backward a foot then put into gear it goes in fine. and i dont do it while the bike is moving. and it doesn't always happen.

You should be paying attention to your surroundings anyway so when you come to a light be sure to stop before the "line" look at the lights you should know when they are gonna change. put it into gear if it doesn't go roll it up a foot, should still keep you in the crosswalk then try it.

also when downshifting watch your speed. My gears grind if i try to put my bike into first gear while going faster than 15 mph

IP Logged
RocksimusMaximus
2005 No Login

Reply #7 - 07/20/05 at 13:02:12

Thanks guys... That eases my worries a bit. I kind of figured that meant I was supposed to shift while rolling into the stop. Just had to make sure. And thank you for the warm welcome. I hope to be here for quite some time.

Ryan

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #8 - 07/20/05 at 13:20:41

Congratulation! I had same problem when I was new to this biking thing. But after her first oil change(600 mi.) and some more saddle time. I finally got this downshifting to the T Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 07/20/05 at 13:28:44

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I dont know but holding the clutch at a light sucks for me.

it may suck, but it's better than being run over by a cage. i've had to blast off an intersection a few times to avoid trouble. if you need to relax and strectch pull off into a parking lot or community park, an intersection is not the time to relax and let down you guard.  if you've got your hands and feet off the controls you are "off guard".  i don't mean to be harsh, yet i've seen the results of a rear impact at an intersection where the bike was hit by the cage, he didn't even see the light let alone the motorcycle.  i would prefer to be able to move quickly and avoid the trouble if at all possible.  just my 2 cents.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/20/05 at 13:32:01

das a very good point and i should listen. but i'm stubborn and its hot and sweaty palms and that whole deal just dont do it.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 07/20/05 at 13:32:46

I agree Sluggo.  It may be inconvenient but getting packed in the @ss would be much worse.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/20/05 at 13:34:45

from shifting to a$$ packing. You guys have your minds in the gutter  Shocked

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 07/20/05 at 13:41:53

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
from shifting to a$$ packing. You guys have your minds in the gutter  Shocked

i've always said it's a short trip to the gutter,  down for some of you, and up for some of us.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/20/05 at 13:44:17

Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home