Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Backfiring like crazy
Reply #15 - 07/30/05 at 22:49:50

You pretty much have to remove it to be able to see if you have the gasket and what condition it's in.  I didn't know how bad mine was until I got a new one and saw what it should look like.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #16 - 07/31/05 at 00:22:01

Hey doppelganger,
I bought two exhaust gaskets for my 87 at the local Suzuki dealer @ 3.85 each. According to their parts manual there is only one gasket and it is the one at the head. I'm going to take the pipe off tomorrow (as WD suggested) and make sure there is a gasket, which I will replace with the new one.

Ike Grin

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #17 - 08/15/05 at 23:35:25

Ok, backfiring solved!!
I replaced the exhaust gasket at the head, cleaned the inside of the pipe opening and exhaust port, replaced the Supertrapp with a HD Dyna muffler and made sure there are no leaks. Yeah!!!
It sounds much quieter until you open it up, then it sounds deeper and really nice. It also looks pretyy nice, especially with the 7" J C Whitney heatshield and I am happy with it.
Thanks again for all the great advice.
Ike Grin

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 08/16/05 at 06:33:14

At your next opportunity be sure to check your main and pilot jets to see if you are still running the stock items..............I just looked again and saw that your bike is an 87, so you may be ok with the stock jets.  Read your spark plug and adjust the carb  as necessary to get the correct air/fuel mixture.
RIDE WELL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:12:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring like crazy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.