Send Topic Print
Backfiring like crazy (Read 7 times)
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Backfiring like crazy
07/18/05 at 00:54:41

Today I finally bought myself an 87 Savage, bright yellow and "LOUD". It has the stock airbox with a stock airfilter and a wide open Supertrapp muffler. The exhaust pipe is blue and gold and where the muffler connects to the pipe it too has some gold discoloring. The PO tells me the dealer cleaned and "adjusted" his carb, but had no idea if it got larger jets. He claims the dealer told him "all singles" discolor because they make so much horsepower  Grin. It pops pretty good on deceleration, paticularly under load as in using the motor to brake on a downhill, sounds kinda like a jet breaking the sound barrier. I do have 7 of the spacers and one shiny endcap, but not the one with the supertrapp emblem, for the muffler. So, now to the questions; easiest way to get rid of backfiring? Can I use the supertrapp plates without the outer cap with the logo?

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Backfiring like crazy
Reply #1 - 07/18/05 at 05:32:46

The base priced end cap is just a stamped piece of steel, no name or logo.  As long as the plates will go on and you have an end cap that will bolt down then use it...you need it.
A stock Savage really needs a muffler with some back pressure on the exhaust system. That will help with the backfiring problem.  The other part of the equation is to be sure that the pilot circuit is properly adjusted,  The adjusting screw that the factory hides behind the little cap...remove the cap if it is still there, and adjust it.  If you  have to back the screw out 3 or more turns then you need the next larger size pilot jet.   The only bike that should run a completely open muffler is a radically modified ...and I would suspect that even then, if hooked up to a dyno, a rad mod bike would make more/better power with a little muffling.
"All singles discolor because they make too much power"...REALLY??   This is the first time I have heard that the Savage makes TOO MUCH POWER.  That must be the reason that when I am riding my Savage on the track at 135 mph that the suspension needs to be upgraded again.........yea right.  That is the best one I have ever heard about the Savage.
Anyway, put the plates on the muffler, adjust the pilot circuit, and then go ride and enjoy.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 07/18/05 at 13:10:19

theikeman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Today I finally bought myself an 87 Savage, bright yellow and "LOUD". It has the stock airbox with a stock airfilter and a wide open Supertrapp muffler. The exhaust pipe is blue and gold and where the muffler connects to the pipe it too has some gold discoloring. The PO tells me the dealer cleaned and "adjusted" his carb, but had no idea if it got larger jets. He claims the dealer told him "all singles" discolor because they make so much horsepower  Grin. It pops pretty good on deceleration, paticularly under load as in using the motor to brake on a downhill, sounds kinda like a jet breaking the sound barrier. I do have 7 of the spacers and one shiny endcap, but not the one with the supertrapp emblem, for the muffler. So, now to the questions; easiest way to get rid of backfiring? Can I use the supertrapp plates without the outer cap with the logo?

This one is REALLY good.  Let's see, anyone ever heard that the Savage will "make so much horsepower"?  Gotta love those dealers....

Your SuperTrapp doesn't have the disks or the end cap installed?  Without those, you'll never get it tuned right.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/18/05 at 13:19:37

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
LOL!  Yeah, those 29 stock horses are just too much to contain!

Hey there, the dealer's right.  The HP is up to 31, ya know.
:'(

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 07/18/05 at 13:25:51

He claims the dealer told him "all singles" discolor because they make so much horsepower  Grin.

I'm sorry but when I first read that I almost had Dr. Pepper shoot out of my nose.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 07/18/05 at 13:32:21

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I'm sorry but when I first read that I almost had Dr. Pepper shoot out of my nose.

Yeah, WE, as in this forum, ride the biggest underpowered single of all time....go figure.  And sometimes they too blow stuff out their nose.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 07/18/05 at 13:37:23

Grin

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 07/18/05 at 21:38:20

Okay, I'll fess up, I spit Pop Tarts and coffee on the key board I was laughing so hard.

A "Stuporcrap" without the right amount of discs and fuel tweaks actually ROBS power.

31 whole horsepower out of the new ones? The current "toy" makes that at half throttle, out of 1 cylinder... Do have to say the Savage will smoke it off the line though.

TOO MUCH horsepower...  Grin

Fix the Trapp, remap the idle circuit, and do to your local stealership what I do to mine... pull in the lot, flip him off, and ride to a decent shop.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #8 - 07/18/05 at 22:52:19

I thought everyone would appreciate the stealership comment about powerful singles  Grin. But, anyway, I did put the 7 discs and endcap back on the supertrapp and it is much quieter, but still louder than most (except HD's) and it still backfires, although not near as bad. I guess I'll tackle the idle circuit tomorrow and see what happens then. This is one GREAT board and I'm glad to be part of the Savage Family.
What else can I do to make my 87 better? I understand it came with a 155 jet in 87. Is there a way to replace the little white washer so often discussed here, without removing the carb?
Thanks for a the help, comments and tips
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/19/05 at 05:11:48

I thought everyone would appreciate the stealership comment about powerful singles  Grin. But, anyway, I did put the 7 discs and endcap back on the supertrapp and it is much quieter, but still louder than most (except HD's) and it still backfires, although not near as bad. I guess I'll tackle the idle circuit tomorrow and see what happens then. This is one GREAT board and I'm glad to be part of the Savage Family.
What else can I do to make my 87 better? I understand it came with a 155 jet in 87. Is there a way to replace the little white washer so often discussed here, without removing the carb?
Ike

I also have an 87 Savage, and I have been messing with the carb for a week now.  Yes, you could do the white spacer thing with the carb still on the bike, but I do not recommend it!  Our 87 carbs are different than most of the owners on this board.  I put a half spacer in and it runs worse, and I also have a pipe on it, mine is a mac pipe.  I put the white spacer in and it's better but still too rich just off idle.  I am still trying to get mine dialed in, but I have definately learned that our older models do not suffer the super lean setup that the newer bikes have.  Try to richen up the mixtue screw a bit, should help with the decel backfiring.  Yes, our carbs do have the 155 main, so do a plug chop to see if that main is rich enough or even too rich.  Best of luck...Joe

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #10 - 07/19/05 at 21:25:29

Ok, did the idle mixture screw adjustment today, seems to idle best (fastest) at 2.5 turns, then used the idle thumb screw to lower the idle, tightened the exhaust bolts and it still backfires ..... ???
Help ???

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 07/20/05 at 05:44:50

Ike

Buy another set of disks.  My spouse's is running 14.  It is louder, but it has really good bottom end.

IP Logged
roughrider
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/30/05 at 17:27:26

I have been told two live with it. Great looking bike that sounds real bad!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 07/30/05 at 20:20:32

Ike, bring it to the shop Monday, as in, August 1st if you can. Mine got like that occasionally, I'll check yours and see if it is the same problem. Odds are, you have no header gasket, and likely, no center joint gasket.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
doppelganger
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Fort Wayne, IN
Reply #14 - 07/30/05 at 21:45:29

What's the easiest way to check for the presence of these gaskets?  Do you have to remove the header pipe, or just loosen it a bit?

If missing, where's the best place to get them?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:10:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring like crazy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.