Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
87 carb question (Read 3 times)
savage_joe
Ex Member

87 carb question
07/17/05 at 12:12:47

Just want to verify that I have a part in the way it should go.  The jet needle plate has a dimple in it (very small), should this dimple face down or up?  Or does it matter?
Ok, now when I put this plate back in should I expose the 2 holes so you can see thru the plate and out the bottom of the piston valve (slide) or should it be installed 180 degrees and hide the 2 holes?  Just want to make certain as I can't see this in any of the diagrams on here and the previous owner had it apart a few times.  Thanks  Joe

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Re: 87 carb question
Reply #1 - 07/17/05 at 14:41:39

The dimple must be facing down, and the holes in the washer must be lined up with the holes in the barrel.

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/17/05 at 16:14:57

That is what I thought, thanks for confirming.  I have her all back together now and she's purring nicely  Cheesy

Just curious, what does the dimple do?

Thanks...Joe

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/18/05 at 08:29:22

Anyone know what the purpose of the dimple is on the jet needle hold down plate?  Thanks...Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 07/18/05 at 10:01:11

I haven't had the top of my carb open for a couple of months, so I don't know for sure but usually those dimples line up with a groove on an adjacent part to assist with proper alignment.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 07/18/05 at 11:45:59

Just co confirm Woodworker and Rob and if I recall correctly, it doesn't really matter whether the dimple is up or down, the screws and the different holes and slots are offset and they only line up correctly one way....

You can just barely see the dimple in this photo...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 07/18/05 at 11:50:53

savage_joe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
<snip>...and the previous owner had it apart a few times.  Thanks  Joe

Could very well be another source of your trouble?  He might have had it in there wrong too....

Just remember, after all, that it takes a lower pressure (relative suction) inside the diaphragm to raise the slide and accelerate the engine...therefore if holes aren't right, the airflow won't be either.

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/18/05 at 12:22:18

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Could very well be another source of your trouble?  He might have had it in there wrong too....

Just remember, after all, that it takes a lower pressure (relative suction) inside the diaphragm to raise the slide and accelerate the engine...therefore if holes aren't right, the airflow won't be either.

They did have the holes lined up correctly, but at that point I was not assuming that just because that is the way I found it, it must be correct.  I have other cv carbs too, and I figurued the holes should line up, as it needs to transfer vacuum up there.  Just wanted to see what others said for peace of mind.  I was confused a bit by the dimple, I was thinking what could this tiny dimply possibly do, as I was not sure if it went up or down.  Then I see some saying it has to go down....so I wanted to know why and what for?

Now that I think about it, if the dimple is down wouldn't it make contact with the white spacer?  Just barely of course.
Dimple up would only be to make sure it wasn't down I guess, as I do not see any point if the dimple is up or not even there.

Thanks again...Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 07/18/05 at 12:59:17

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
... it doesn't really matter whether the dimple is up or down, the screws and the different holes and slots are offset and they only line up correctly one way....

Yeah, Greg is right.  Now that he jogged my memory, I recall noticing that when I had it in upside-down it wouldn't line up right.  Once I saw that, I thought it was handy that it only lined up completely when it's in the right way.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 07/18/05 at 13:02:29

savage_joe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
They did have the holes lined up correctly, but at that point I was not assuming that just because that is the way I found it, it must be correct.  I have other cv carbs too, and I figurued the holes should line up, as it needs to transfer vacuum up there.  Just wanted to see what others said for peace of mind.  I was confused a bit by the dimple, I was thinking what could this tiny dimply possibly do, as I was not sure if it went up or down.  Then I see some saying it has to go down....so I wanted to know why and what for?

Now that I think about it, if the dimple is down wouldn't it make contact with the white spacer?  Just barely of course.
Dimple up would only be to make sure it wasn't down I guess, as I do not see any point if the dimple is up or not even there.

Thanks again...Joe

Cool.  At least you didn't file the dimple off, thinking it was just damaged....

I know, I know....

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/19/05 at 05:29:13

Just for giggles, last night I swapped my white spacer out for washers to equal 1/2 the spacer and the just off idle got so much worse Sad  Even with the white spacer I have an overly rich spot right off idle.  The white spacer is like having the clip in the top (leanest) position on an adjustable needle.  I am tempted to put a washer or 2 under my white spacer to try and lean it out a bit more to clean up the part throttle performance, or should I start looking at smaller jetting?  I might try the washer under thought first as I already have the washers, and I have to take it apart again anyways.  

Thanks for all the help.  Joe

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:07:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 87 carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.