Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with an 87 stock carb - won't idle (Read 15 times)
savage_joe
Ex Member

Help with an 87 stock carb - won't idle
07/15/05 at 19:09:43

I am nearing my wits ends with this thing.  I have pulled the white spacer and I have tried 2, 3, & 4 3mm washers for spacers with no luck at all, by the way #4 washers do not fit down the hole in the slide.  I have tried adjusting the idle speed and mixture to no avail.  The plug is black.  The idle speed is almost at spring bind, and still will not idle.  The jetting is stock (87 is a 155 main).  I pulled the air filter out and it seemed to get worse.  The bike is all stock except it has a pipe (not sure what kind, it came with the bike, it is load and shoots flames right out the end).  Does anyone have a "base" setup for the stock carb and airbox with a free flowing pipe.  Thank you very much for your time and assistance.  Joe

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Re: Help with an 87 stock carb - won't idle
Reply #1 - 07/15/05 at 19:12:01

Almost forgot to mention, I tested the compression and got just above 155psi.

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/16/05 at 04:18:27

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks....Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/16/05 at 07:36:50

savage_joe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I am nearing my wits ends with this thing.  I have pulled the white spacer and I have tried 2, 3, & 4 3mm washers for spacers with no luck at all, by the way #4 washers do not fit down the hole in the slide.  I have tried adjusting the idle speed and mixture to no avail.  The plug is black.  The idle speed is almost at spring bind, and still will not idle.  The jetting is stock (87 is a 155 main).  I pulled the air filter out and it seemed to get worse.  The bike is all stock except it has a pipe (not sure what kind, it came with the bike, it is load and shoots flames right out the end).  Does anyone have a "base" setup for the stock carb and airbox with a free flowing pipe.  Thank you very much for your time and assistance.  Joe

Is the problem, that the bike won't idle?  Okay, the first thing that you always do, is only change one thing at a time.  That way you can go back to where you were.  I mean, if it won't idle then why change the spacer?  They aren't related.

Black plug?  Flames?  Put everything back the way it was and start over on the carb....are all the hoses connected correctly?  No leaks around the carb to intake mount?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/16/05 at 07:57:48

Joe, I sent the reply to message you sent me.

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/16/05 at 08:42:31

Lancer, I got your PM and I am thinking about buying a carb.

I do want to get it running with the stock carb so I have something to compare it to.

The idle is my main issue right now.  The idle mixture screw does not seem to effect the idle.  The pipe has black smoke coming out.  I think everything is sealed up good, no air leaks.  Just keeps stalling.  How long can you run these air cooled bikes without running into heat related issues.  It started up good when cold with no choke at all and it idled ok for the first few minutes, then it wants to stall.  Any ideas?  Thanks...Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 07/16/05 at 08:55:10

Lancer, I got your PM and I am thinking about buying a carb.

I do want to get it running with the stock carb so I have something to compare it to.

The idle is my main issue right now.  The idle mixture screw does not seem to effect the idle.  The pipe has black smoke coming out.  I think everything is sealed up good, no air leaks.  Just keeps stalling.  How long can you run these air cooled bikes without running into heat related issues.  It started up good when cold with no choke at all and it idled ok for the first few minutes, then it wants to stall.  Any ideas?  Thanks...Joe

Look.  It sounds like you have a really over rich situation here.  Sounds like it is actually flooding out....

Go to the Tech Corner (don't post there) and check out this topic...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

Check out this picture too...

Just for grins, turn the petc0ck to the PRI position and pull off the vent hose shown in the photo.  Any gas come out?  There shouldn't be.

Sounds like you need to check the floats or the float needle.

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/16/05 at 11:05:07

Ok, small update.  I tried pulling out the choke a bit when the bike is idling rough and it seemed to smooth it out some and bring up the rpms.  I also do not see any difference when adjusting the idle mixture.  Could this be a blocked or partially clogged pilot jet?  Thanks again for the help.  Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 07/16/05 at 11:11:52

Look, go back to the beginning.  I'm trying to figure out what you are doing and what is wrong.  Is the engine cold or hot?  Is everything back the way it was before this problem started?  Original spacer installed?  Petc0ck in the ON position?

Also, if the bike is running rich from a float problem you can adjust the mixture all day with no change.  

I can try to help, but we have to follow a dialog to make it work.

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/16/05 at 11:35:38

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Look, go back to the beginning.  I'm trying to figure out what you are doing and what is wrong.  Is the engine cold or hot?  Is everything back the way it was before this problem started?  Original spacer installed?  Petc0ck in the ON position?

Also, if the bike is running rich from a float problem you can adjust the mixture all day with no change.  

I can try to help, but we have to follow a dialog to make it work.

I sent you a PM, do you prefer a PM or keep adding to this thread?  Thanks...Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 07/16/05 at 12:00:38

I sent you a PM, do you prefer a PM or keep adding to this thread?  Thanks...Joe

I answered you...

We can do it here.  That is fine.  Others can read it, and it may be helpful for them, or I may make a mistake or overlook something and others will be sure to point that out too  Tongue

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/16/05 at 13:16:37

I am getting gas, and it is clean.  
The floats also seem to be operating ok.
I do want to keep the airbox in there as it is also the mounting point for the side panels.
Just to note I have a 47.5 pilot jet, and I have noticed most people on here and the newer bikes have a 55 pilot jet.  Could this be my issue, too lean on the pilot circuit?  With a too small pilot jet would it be next to impossible to see any difference when trying to adjust the idle mixture screw?  This mixture screw is pretty goofed up to from being stripped out.
I do not think it is flooding out due to the floats or anything.  

I am tempted to go pick up a 55 pilot jet and try that out to richen up the idle circuit.  

Let me know what you think.  Thanks...Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 07/16/05 at 16:17:02

I am getting gas, and it is clean.  
The floats also seem to be operating ok.
I do want to keep the airbox in there as it is also the mounting point for the side panels.
Just to note I have a 47.5 pilot jet, and I have noticed most people on here and the newer bikes have a 55 pilot jet.  Could this be my issue, too lean on the pilot circuit?  With a too small pilot jet would it be next to impossible to see any difference when trying to adjust the idle mixture screw?  This mixture screw is pretty goofed up to from being stripped out.
I do not think it is flooding out due to the floats or anything.  

I am tempted to go pick up a 55 pilot jet and try that out to richen up the idle circuit.  

Let me know what you think.  Thanks...Joe

Looking at it technically, we have to look at what is going on.  When you start randomly changing things you can cause even more trouble for yourself.  Which is why I suggested that you put everything back the way it was.

We also have to assume that the current setup was working just fine at one time....I asked if the bike has always (as far as you know) been giving trouble.  Did you buy it this way?  (Sorry, if I missed that info).  Jets do not go bad, so scratch jets off your current list.  Save that for when it runs.

Now, just how do you know that the floats are okay?  Did you check the vent tube with the petc0ck in PRI.  Have you removed the bowl and operated the float with the gas turned on?

And as for the mixture screw, this is a new piece of info....Did you strip it out?  Was it that way when you got it?

Please answer each question as I ask, so that I can keep track.... we need to find out if it is time to remove the carb or move on to another area.  I understand how frustrating this can be, but the only logical way to fix it is one step at a time.

BTW -  my pilot is 52.5 and your carb originally had completely different jets (and more of them)...check the specs in the topic "Carb Specs"

IP Logged
savage_joe
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/16/05 at 18:52:40

Yes, I did buy it this way, and the previous owner put the mac pipe on it, and goofed around with the carb, and even tried another carb from an 86, then put it back on and sold it to me as his wife just decided to buy a newer and larger bike.  So, I really do not have a "starting point".  I do understand your thinking as you really have to change only one thing at a time to be certain what changes are causing what results.

Yes, I checked the float vent tubes with petcock on PRI.  I also pulled the carb out and verifed the float needle and seat are sealing good and working properly with the bowl off and the gas hooked up.  Not sure about the level, but it is not flooding out the carb and I do not believe the float is low as the bike idles good with a bit of choke on, and the choke is drawing fuel from the float bowl also.  Also when I remove the carb from the bike, a decent amount of fuel is in it.

Idle mixture screw was pretty well stripped when I got the bike Sad  Looked in and saw two small triangles instead of a flat slot, hence why I asked what kind of bit it took, as I was hoping it was a special bit instead of being a badly stripped flat head.  I tried to remove it with no luck, as it gets to a point where it just spins and spins and does not come out of the bore enough to grab it with anything.  I can manage to adjust it though, just takes a little patience and a nicely sharpened flat head.

I picked up a 55 pilot jet (the only one they had in stock) and may give that a shot tonight.  I'll let you know if I find the time to try it out.  I do have the 1/3rd spacer in there right now also, and I do not see the decel backfires anymore (which it did bad with the stock white spacer in the carb).  Also to note, the previous owner told me he took the white spacer out, yet it was in there when I opened it up.  They also told me they had tried another carb (from an 86) and had raw fuel leakage at idle once and promtly switched the carb back to the 87 stock one, they probably tried the 86 carb without any white spacer explaining the fuel leakage they experienced and I have read about on here.

So, I hope I answered all the questions you asked, and probably a few that you didn't.  Thank you very much for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated.  Joe

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Help with an 87 stock carb - won't idleNow, I'
Reply #14 - 07/16/05 at 19:16:19

Good job, Joe...and it sounds like the previous owner did an even better job. Tongue  I've gotten someone else's basket case before too, so don't feel bad.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder about that mixture screw.  I wonder if the valve/seat is broken.   If the screw tip is broken in the seat, your problem may be there.

Have you taken the carb completely apart and cleaned it out?  How about the diaphragm on the top?  Everything good.  No cracks?

Have you looked at the specs for your carb?  You haven't mentioned doing that.  That pilot jet is not the correct one.  Why put it in if its wrong?  Especially since your carb is supposed to have many differences with later years.

I would check every jet with the specs in the other section, but since the mixture screw is such a mess, you may need another carb....

....Pull that carb out.  Clean it good and try to find the answer.  I wouldn't change any jets because something else is messed up.  Check that schematic breakdown for the carb, too.

AND, I hate to say this, but I'm gonna be away from the computer tomorrow.  I still want to know how things progress, but I'm sure that several others in here can help while I'm away....

Good luck, Joe

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:17:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with an 87 stock carb - won't idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.