Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rich or Lean - how to tell? (Read 12 times)
milesb
Ex Member

Rich or Lean - how to tell?
07/15/05 at 17:10:21

How do you tell if the bike is running rich or lean?  Outside of the stock spacer being removed, the carb has not been modified to my knowledge and I'm not one to tinker with the carb (small parts are not my forte).

I drilled the muffler baffle and the bike runs fine, albiet a bit louder.  But I'd like to know if it's running lean or rich.

From reading other posts here and in the tech section, seems it's best to run the bike at idle and adjust the air mixture screw until it's between the two points where the RPM's drop.  Is this correct?

Next basic question:  The carb still has the plug over the mixture screw (so I'll assume it's at the factory setting of three turns out from full in?) - I've read where you have to drill out the plug, is it threaded where I can use a bit slightly larger than the hole in the plug and back it out?

Thanks in advance,

Miles

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Rich or Lean - how to tell?
Reply #1 - 07/15/05 at 19:42:25

milesb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
How do you tell if the bike is running rich or lean?  Outside of the stock spacer being removed, the carb has not been modified to my knowledge and I'm not one to tinker with the carb (small parts are not my forte).

I drilled the muffler baffle and the bike runs fine, albiet a bit louder.  But I'd like to know if it's running lean or rich.

From reading other posts here and in the tech section, seems it's best to run the bike at idle and adjust the air mixture screw until it's between the two points where the RPM's drop.  Is this correct?

Next basic question:  The carb still has the plug over the mixture screw (so I'll assume it's at the factory setting of three turns out from full in?) - I've read where you have to drill out the plug, is it threaded where I can use a bit slightly larger than the hole in the plug and back it out?

Thanks in advance,

Miles

If you drilled out the muffler baffles, it is leaner than stock because you increased the air flow.  Plain and simple.  Get a 150 - 152.5 main jet and it will be better.  Smiley

I don't think the stock setting on the screw is 3 turns...in fact, I don't think that it is a "determined" setting.  I think it is adjusted on a "bench" with a particular flow setting for each carb.  They wouldn't have adjustments if they could "fix" it because there are always manufacturing differences.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 07/15/05 at 21:32:31

this is the correct way to tell - read the plug - but it's a pain in the arse - if you haven't modified the engine a 150-152.5 mainjet, freeer flowing  pipe - 152.5 or a 155,
1.5-2.0 turns out on the idle mixture, and a 1/3-1/2 the spacer - and you'll be real close.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1112528489

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/16/05 at 08:27:50

Thanks in advance,

Miles

Back at it again...since the spacer is out, your mid range was probably a little fat, and since you drilled the baffles that may be a little leaner, now.  However, as I have suggested for years, the spacer should be about 1/2 the original thickness.  Not completely removed....just something I figured from trial and error, and checking the plug and the exhaust.

You have the right idea about the idle mixture screw, but first you need to get at it.  Gently drill out the plug.  Go slowly with very light pressure and use a drill about 3/4 the size of the plug...if it is like mine were, the plug will come out on the end of the drill.  Then when you adjust it, just split the difference in the number of turns in and out and forget about it.  Then adjust your idle speed if needed.

BTW - on a really rich engine you can see black smoke puffing out of the exhaust on bright sunny day.  You may even be able to smell gasoline, too.  But at this point, I don't think you have to worry about that.

Just for good measure, if that is all the modification that you plan to do, a 1/2 spacer and a 152.5 main will most likely fix things just about right for you.

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/16/05 at 11:07:00

Thanks Greg.  That's just the info I was looking for.

No more mods planned.  Just wanted to get a little noise to make the presence known (that along with the shirt I made up that says on the back,  "Dive Now, Talk Later!" for our cell phone loving friends).

Miles

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 07/16/05 at 21:54:33

Just wanted to get a little noise to make the presence known (that along with the shirt I made up that says on the back,  "Dive Now, Talk Later!" for our cell phone loving friends).

I sure hope that was supposed to be "Drive Now..."

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/16/05 at 22:42:26

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I sure hope that was supposed to be "Drive Now..."

whoops, yeah - that's "Drive Now"

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:04:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rich or Lean - how to tell?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.