Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Rear Brakes and Wheel
07/15/05 at 10:02:34

Since it was mentioned in the front brake topic....Sorry about the old pictures, but I hope they help anyway...

CORRECTION!  In the previous view, I had simply put the spacers on the axle shaft, but the wheel bearing spacer (with shoulder) is turned the wrong way.  The short end goes on the left side between the pulley and wheel bearings.....

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
1 Re: replacing rear shoes
Reply #1 - 07/24/11 at 11:02:45

It's not hard, just a bunch of steps. Just working from memory:

- Disconnect the cable from the lever on on the brake
- Loosen the axle and shove the wheel assembly all the way forward in the slots
- Fight the belt off the pulley (I don't know if you need to remove the belt guards for this. Mine were already off.)
- Mark the spacers so you can remember where they go
- Pull out the axle after removing the nut. Be prepared to catch everything
- Wrestle the wheel assembly out of the swingarm
- Lift the brake plate out of the hub. There will be a lot of brake dust, so gloves are advised.
- Lift up on opposite sides of the shoes so they pivot off the posts. Be prepared to chase the springs.

To replace:
- Attach the springs to the shoes
- Hold the shoes side-by-side, like a closed bear trap, postion the ends on the posts. The end of the shoes with the rounded notch go with the round post, the end with the flat surfaces goes with the brake lever post.
- Fold the shoes down like opening a bear trap. Be prepared for things to slip around and for the springs to come off in one or more places.
- Fiddle with the way the ends of the shoes fit on the posts. One end needs to be inside the recesses in the post and the other end needs to be on the flat part of the brake lever post.
- If the shoes bind when you try to fit them back into the hub, note the shiny spots on the shoes where they rub the hub, then use a flat file to take off some of the braks material.
- Put the wheel assembly back in place and follow the disassembly instructions backwards
- Make sure you match the alignment tick marks so the wheel is straight

I'm guessing it should all take no more than a half hour.

« Last Edit: 08/17/11 at 19:19:04 by verslagen1 »  

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
2 Re: replacing rear shoes
Reply #2 - 08/17/11 at 18:58:38

MotoBuddha wrote on 07/24/11 at 11:02:45:
.......- Lift up on opposite sides of the shoes so they pivot off the posts. Be prepared to chase the springs.

To replace:
- Attach the springs to the shoes
- Hold the shoes side-by-side, like a closed bear trap, postion the ends on the posts. The end of the shoes with the rounded notch go with the round post, the end with the flat surfaces goes with the brake lever post.
- Fold the shoes down like opening a bear trap. Be prepared for things to slip around and for the springs to come off in one or more places.......

I had my brake shoes off a while back to clean things up, and, although it was easy to get to them, the steps that I quoted above were giving me a problem.  I could not figure out how to do it.  I even made a special tool to help which worked good, but was not nearly as quick as "the trick."

That is, until Yonuh Adisi posted this video which clarified "the trick" for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDdo8v1pM0&feature=player_embedded#!

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
RidingFree
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear Brakes and Wheel
Reply #3 - 03/10/15 at 00:22:50

I only have 11,000 miles on my bike but I have to really push down on the rear brake pedal for it to respond.Where is the rear brake drum adjuster located?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/10/15 at 03:27:30

RidingFree wrote on 03/10/15 at 00:22:50:
I only have 11,000 miles on my bike but I have to really push down on the rear brake pedal for it to respond.Where is the rear brake drum adjuster located?

On the rear drum.....on the end of the cable that pulls on the brake lever.  Move the nut farther in on the cable.

« Last Edit: 03/11/15 at 03:52:09 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 03/10/15 at 17:34:18

It's not like the old star adjusters on a car. Like Dave said, follow the brake cable to the back of the bike. The adjusting nut at the end of the cable will allow you to take out some of the slack and hopefully get your brakes working correctly.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 03/12/15 at 06:00:46

If you find that you are at the end of adjustment, you can loosen the 10mm pinch bolt on the actuator arm and rotate it clockwise one position.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #7 - 10/11/15 at 17:26:41

Where should the actuator arm be positioned on the cam for NEW shoes?

Where should the "SPLIT" be located in relation to the "INDICATOR" mark on the cam?

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Phildog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/05/16 at 22:35:02

Savage_Greg wrote on 07/15/05 at 10:02:34:
CORRECTION!  In the previous view, I had simply put the spacers on the axle shaft, but the wheel bearing spacer (with shoulder) is turned the wrong way.  The short end goes on the left side between the pulley and wheel bearings.....

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/RaerWheel02web.jpg

I actually installed them short side facing out and it seemed to work much better. When I put it in short the thing pully had a lot of play and would jerk to one side when I started it and the wheel would wobble a lot. It still wobbles, just a little. The problem is mine does't look like that, it had a bevelled edge on one side.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 11/29/23 at 11:51:43

DesertRat - that's a good question.  Trying to comprehend what the wear indicator is saying is a mystery.  Do you check it with the brake applied or not applied?  What is the default position for the arm?

I don't think anybody looks at it to determine the condition of the shoes.  Seems like a gimmick feature.  Just put the arm where it lands in the middle.  It's always Good that way!  LOL.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/29/23 at 12:07:34

ThumperPaul wrote on 11/29/23 at 11:51:43:
DesertRat - that's a good question.  Trying to comprehend what the wear indicator is saying is a mystery.  Do you check it with the brake applied or not applied?  What is the default position for the arm?

I don't think anybody looks at it to determine the condition of the shoes.  Seems like a gimmick feature.  Just put the arm where it lands in the middle.  It's always Good that way!  LOL.

The arm goes wherever it needs to, it's the scribe mark on the spline they look at to determine brake shoe wear.
I've had mine "officially" inspected when I had to re-title it and they note where it is.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/29/23 at 12:35:01

Dang.  Tough state and inspections!  My guy just measured the tire thread depth like he knew what he was doing.  I demonstrated the turn signal and horn, and I was done.

And the brake wear indicator is read with the brake fully applied.  I guess that should be intuitive, but I have my moments most days.  Just call me Woody!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 03:45:12

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Rear Brakes and Wheel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.