Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ridin in the rain (Read 10 times)
surplusguy
Ex Member

Ridin in the rain
07/12/05 at 16:26:02

Would appreciate some "rain" experience from those of you who have ridden in the rain. Since wrecking my car a few days ago, I have to ride my 2000 Savage to work during rush hour both am and pm. I can handle that, but it was been raining during the pm rush hour and I'm uncertain as to what kind of reduced traction I can expect. Man, cars are crashing all over the place and I want to be able to avoid them.  How is braking, swerving and riding on sloped road surfaces affected?

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: Ridin in the rain
Reply #1 - 07/12/05 at 16:50:08

This probably isn't the time and it surely isn't the place to learn to ride in the rain.  Can you find a ride during rainy days or at least find a way to work that eliminates as much of the freeway rush hour traffic that you are experiencing (I'm assuming the multilane thing from the way you described it).

Traction can be pretty good in the rain assuming your tires are in good shape, but deep water and puddles(which can hide things) can be treacherous.  Braking and traction is decreased.  Go slower, dress appropriately.  And don't ride if it just started raining after a day or two of heat....lots of extra slippy spots out there....

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 07/12/05 at 17:27:54

riding in the rain can be both a pleasure and a disaster.

add time to the commute.
rainex for the outside of your faceshield,  anti fog for inside.

slow down,braking distance will be greater.
try to down shift as much as possible,when braking  go easy on the rear, rely on the fronts.  wipe headlight and taillight before each ride.

wear a highly reflective rain suit. wear food handler rubber gloves under your regular gloves, that will keep your hands dry as your outer gloves get saturated.

lane split to the front of the line at intersections, this way you are first off the line, with little traffic ahead of you. less water will be thrown up from car tires.

ride in the car tire tracks ahead of you, not the middle of the lane, the middle of the lane is where vehicles drip their oil and coolant making for a slicker surface.

try to avoid riding in the first 30-60 minutes after the rain first starts. that is when the roadway is the most slick.

don't carry passengers.  

i've always said "if you don't ride in the rain, you aint a biker"

i hope these tips and the others before me help you out.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 07/12/05 at 17:49:31

I got used to riding in the rain, I just remember even on the sportbike there ain't much traction.  However, the front brakes still work very well even in the wet.

I have NOT tried cornering at speed in the rain.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
surplusguy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/12/05 at 17:52:59

Thanks for the good advice. One in particular that I noticed was that riding on the crown (middle) sure felt slippery until I moved over into one of the car track lanes. When I first started riding, I kinda vowed only to ride when there were dry conditions. However, Florida is noted for unexpected thunderstorms, and I think it is prudent to know how to better handle wet situations.
Hope more of you experienced riders can lend some additional advice.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 07/12/05 at 18:05:25

surplusguy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
.... How is braking, swerving and riding on sloped road surfaces affected?

Telling, reading, watching -- nothing is like doing.  I started riding in the fall of '64 in Detroit.  It snows there.  Found me a clear area where I would not worry about others and tested out cornering and braking in the wet, on snow, ice, etc..  Traction was reduced, but was better than I expected.

WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/12/05 at 22:44:10

I learned the hard way to ride further back from the driver ahead in the rain. I got caught in the rain years ago on my GN-400 & I was riding fast to get home. The car way in front of me stopped & when I hit the front brake the tire slid & the handlebars yanked to the left. I stomped the ground to keep from falling & I slid past him just as he turned left. The tire finally grabbed when my speed dropped enough. Didn't take much to hydroplane that tire & it had plenty of tread.
I'd watch for the slippery stuff too like manhole covers, painted places, grease spots, etc. Rain-X on the visor might be a good idea.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 07/12/05 at 23:04:35

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
GN-400 .

what a great bike, i got one in 1982 and put 98,000 on it before i killed it due to low oil..  just last year..  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/13/05 at 08:08:23

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
what a great bike, i got one in 1982 and put 98,000 on it before i killed it due to low oil..  just last year..  

Yeah, I had to sell it after I crashed it 'cause my fiance freaked out every time I rode. It was a fun bike. I only put 7,000 plus miles on it. I dropped a few teeth off the back sprocket for the highways. I don't remember if mine was an '81 or 82. It was red & the cheaper version with the spoke wheels. 98,000 miles! I should have kept mine! Happy riding.  Grin

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 07/13/05 at 11:57:18

One in particular that I noticed was that riding on the crown (middle) sure felt slippery until I moved over into one of the car track lanes.

That's usually where the greatest buildup of oily crap is found.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #10 - 07/13/05 at 17:43:49

Only use your rear brake when the vehicle slow down to 20 mph or less(very easy to lock it in the rain no matter how you baby it). Therefore leave plenty of cushion space between you and the cage in front and use your front brake religiously.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #11 - 07/13/05 at 18:14:01

Beg to differ, but when I got my Honda 50 in '64 I was told scary stories but had to see for myself.  Took the bike out onto wet streets and did firm stops straightline front brake only *NO PROBLEM*.  That's firm, not panic, keeping the front wheel rolling rather than locking it up.  Wet or dry you have greater stopping power with both brakes or even front brake only than with rear brake only.

You have reduced traction in the wet, but as long as you do not exceed that reduced traction you can ride perfectly normal braking/cornering/etc..

And with modern tires you have a lot more traction than you might expect.  Which is whyI suggest going out where you do not need to worry about others and finding out for yourself.  

As babbalou said, the oily center and painted lines and metal are all alot slippier in the rain.  They are slippier in the dry also.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #12 - 07/13/05 at 18:32:07

... Since wrecking my car a few days ago.... cars are crashing all over the place and I want to be able to avoid them.....

Just re-read and actually comprehended this.  Yeah.   Wet streets and the the slip-sliding-crashing goes full steam.

Moreso than ever you need to ride ahead, look beyond the vehicle in front of you, beyond the vehicle in front of him, beyond the ...  you get the picture.  As they teach in the MSF course, you need to be looking 14 seconds travel time ahead for developing situations.  A person changing lanes can cause someone else to brake too hard and slide.  Keep an eye on your butt, you don't want to end up as someone's hood ornament by hitting the brakes in front of a tailgater.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 07/13/05 at 20:01:27

I can personally attest that sliding down the road in the rain while watching your bike spin out in front of you and wondering if that cage behind you will be able to stop in time can leave a vivid imprint on your memory.  It's very easy to lock the rear brake in wet conditions.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sniperjim
Ex Member

Re: Riding in the rain
Reply #14 - 07/13/05 at 20:11:38

For Florida rain riding, try and ALWAYS pick the inside tire track from the vehicle before you.  Florida roads have a mandatory 2"crown in the "exact center" of the entire width of the street so by choosing the left tire track you are avoiding the center of your lane like surplusguy said.  Remember that the exact center or crown is the imaginary line that separates both lanes of traffic.  Besides, In Our rain you can become very Invisable to other cages around you and by staying more towards the center of the street, others can see you better.  Slow Down and ARRIVE ALIVE

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:21:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ridin in the rain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.