Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
British find (Read 10 times)
marekbuk
Ex Member

British find
07/13/05 at 03:06:53

Hi

I'm now the proud owner of a 2001 Savage after looking for a 'good un' for the last 2 months. I used to own one 12 years ago and have been yearning for that unique Savage ride for the past few years. I found my new bike on eBay with 2 owners and only 1400 miles and it is a real beauty - the 1st owner must have bought it just to polish it as he only did 500 miles on it in 4 years and the 2nd owner did 900 miles in the 3 months that she owned it. The bike looks like it has just been wheeled out of the showroom for the first time - I'm a real happy 'bunny'. My patience has paid off and as we are experiencing a heat wave over here in the UK I'm riding the bike daily and loving it!!
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/391188
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/391189

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Re: British find
Reply #1 - 07/13/05 at 04:30:08

The bike looks perfect -- like it was never used.  Sounds like you will take care of that.  Welcome to Savage.com.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #2 - 07/13/05 at 04:35:43

Beautiful bike!  the pipe is not even discolored yet.  Great find!

I love the UK, but still have never been.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
marekbuk
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/13/05 at 04:45:44

Thanks for the welcome and Yes! - I will certainly endeavour to look after my bike. Incidentally when I bought my first Savage I was lucky to get a bike in similar condition although the engine cases needed polishing as they had discoloured. The mods I did were to put on risers and straight bars, fitted a one piece banana seat and my 'piece de resistance' was to fit a BSA DBD34 silencer as I was looking for that special 'twitter' sound that the old BSA thumpers gave on throttle shutdown. As the DBD pipe is straight thu with no baffles then the Savage backfired like crazy and woke up most of the street when I started her up so I had to do a 'nifty' conversion. I fitted a VW beetle tailpipe into the end of the silencer so that the end was flush with the end of the BSA silencer and Bingo!!! - she twittered away like a Beezer, she still backfired like crazy but it looked and sounded fantastic!
I'll find a old photo of the bike c/w silencer if anyone is interested - By the way I still have this silencer in my garage somewhere if anyone is interested in the UK - I sold the bike with the original silencer.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #4 - 07/13/05 at 05:37:19

Welcome back!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
marekbuk
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/13/05 at 06:10:34

Here is a pic of my old Savage - 1991 vintage c/w custom mods - bars ,seat, rear end and DBD34 silencer. My god! -  I loved that bike.
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/391300

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 07/13/05 at 06:10:37

I noticed the pegs are not stock and the luggage rack is aftermarket too.  The bike looks really clean.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
marekbuk
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/13/05 at 06:29:36

The previous owner fitted the pegs, rear rack, screen and Highway hawk slash cut silencer but I removed the last 2 items as I think it looks better.
The silencer spoilt the look as it had started going blue/brown due to the bike running leaner. oh! a liitle trick I learnt from my days as a Triumph Bonneville rider - to keep the pipes from bluing. Before the bike cools down completely - rub some Solvol Autosol metal polish on the pipe ( using gloves is a safe way to do this ) A few minutes at he end of every ride will keep the exhaust pipe gleaming.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 07/13/05 at 11:52:25

marekbuk wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
The silencer spoilt the look as it had started going blue/brown due to the bike running leaner. oh! a liitle trick I learnt from my days as a Triumph Bonneville rider - to keep the pipes from bluing. Before the bike cools down completely - rub some Solvol Autosol metal polish on the pipe ( using gloves is a safe way to do this ) A few minutes at he end of every ride will keep the exhaust pipe gleaming.

For fixing blued pipes, I took my cue from The Stones... Paint It Black.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/13/05 at 20:20:21

It is a beautiful bike, looks brand new.  I do have a question though...that thing hanging on the back...I perceive that it is some kind of license plate...but it looks like a speed brake on a jet fighter.
By the way, welcome to the Savage home.

IP Logged
marekbuk
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/14/05 at 01:52:20

`yep! - British regulations mean you have to have a mother of licence plates hanging on the rear. However I mean to get a smaller one and move it up behind the backrest which will be technically illegal but the police can't be bothered to prosecute - they are too few and have too much more serious work to do

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 07/14/05 at 03:36:13

I have a 3 row numberplate on the back of KLX, narrower, less drag.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 18:53:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › British find

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.