Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brake Squeal Returns/Xenon Headlamp (Read 2 times)
milesb
Ex Member

Brake Squeal Returns/Xenon Headlamp
07/08/05 at 20:35:53

Well, the front brake squeal has returned after yesterday's sanding/greasing/anti-squeal compound job.  I assume the next logical step would be to replace the pads ('02 bike only has 1,617 miles on it with OEM pads)?

Gotta do something about the speedo rattle, too.

On a positive note, it's a beautiful night here in the Raleigh, NC area.  Went for a cruise around town.  The Xenon headlamp makes a huge difference - well worth the $16/set at Wallyworld.

Miles

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Brake Squeal Returns/Xenon Headlamp
Reply #1 - 07/09/05 at 07:08:35

Boy, you got it goin' on don't you?  My spouse had a problem with the squeal on hers, but it never was a problem on mine.

Let me ask.  Do you use the front brake as much as the rear brake?  Have you done any hard braking with the front (being careful not to lock it up)?

Did everything look like this when you took it apart?

Speedo rattle?  Yeah, that an aggravation too.  I wonder why the Suzuki engineers never fixed this issue after 19 years...

This is how I fixed it on ours....silicone rubber on the mounting springs.

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/09/05 at 10:22:43

On the brake job, I actually used your instructions found in the tech section (per the pic).  Thanks, by the way.  

I was thinking about the braking myself as i just road up.  I generally use the back brake more, especially in city traffic.  I've tried a few "moderate" stops with the front brake in hopes of seating the caliper - maybe I need to give it few "hard" attempts in a parking lot or something.

When I removed and sanded the pads, I didn't use brake cleaner on the sufaces, should I?

Thanks for the info on the speedo bolts.  When I have occasion to pop the tank, I'll try the silicone.  I have some thin cork pads (about 3/8 diameter) that I might try to slide under the rubber grommet and trim off to see if that helps.  Seems as though the speedo stops rattling if I give it light pressure with my hand.

Miles

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 07/09/05 at 14:46:10

I did the exact same thing for my speedo and I also used some STP spray silicone lube (the kind that dries to a film instead of staying wet) between the rubber gasket and the tank.  I can't remember who suggested that (maybe Sunny?) but it works great.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 07/10/05 at 08:12:52

milesb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
On the brake job, I actually used your instructions found in the tech section (per the pic).  Thanks, by the way.

You are welcome...  

Quote:
I was thinking about the braking myself as i just road up.  I generally use the back brake more, especially in city traffic.  I've tried a few "moderate" stops with the front brake in hopes of seating the caliper - maybe I need to give it few "hard" attempts in a parking lot or something.

Just be careful...not too hard

Quote:
When I removed and sanded the pads, I didn't use brake cleaner on the sufaces, should I?

Nope.  The sanding should have removed any glaze, grease, or whatever.  Did you put any grease inside the rubber boots on those alignment pins so they would "float" on the rotor?

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the speedo bolts.  When I have occasion to pop the tank, I'll try the silicone.  I have some thin cork pads (about 3/8 diameter) that I might try to slide under the rubber grommet and trim off to see if that helps.  Seems as though the speedo stops rattling if I give it light pressure with my hand.

I dunno.  I came up with the silicone idea with an empty gas tank.  The vibration seems to be sort of harmonic at a certain engine RPM in each gear, so when I took off the tank, I gave the tank some solid "thumps" and listened.  I noticed that the springs seemed to be (to me) the source of the rattle.  So I embedded them in rubber.  The springs are what hold the speedo in the hole in the tank, and for me that stopped it

Miles [/quote]
Roll Eyes

IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/12/05 at 09:12:55

miles,
funny, these are the same exact 2 problems im having. although i do know my breaks are up for replacing soon, which is probably why they squeal louder than a redheaded stepchild getting beaten with a hose. As for the spedometer, i have no clue how to do all that. do you think a dealership could do the fixes you describe or is that against policy to make such adjustments?

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/14/05 at 18:02:16

lcs151 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
miles,
funny, these are the same exact 2 problems im having. although i do know my breaks are up for replacing soon, which is probably why they squeal louder than a redheaded stepchild getting beaten with a hose. As for the spedometer, i have no clue how to do all that. do you think a dealership could do the fixes you describe or is that against policy to make such adjustments?

Lauren,

While I didn't offer the tips on fixing the problem (others posted those) I have found advice posted here to be quite sound and the fix is usually very easy to do when you follow the directions posted either here or in the tech section.

Given that, I'm sure a dealer would be happy to do the work, unfortunately, you'll likely pay a premium to have it done.

Miles

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 07/15/05 at 06:36:26

milesb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Lauren,

While I didn't offer the tips on fixing the problem (others posted those) I have found advice posted here to be quite sound and the fix is usually very easy to do when you follow the directions posted either here or in the tech section.

Given that, I'm sure a dealer would be happy to do the work, unfortunately, you'll likely pay a premium to have it done.

Miles

I bet you're wondering how I got the incentive to fix this problem 4 years ago?  Right?

We took my spouse's new bike to the dealer with a request to fix a "noise in the speedo"....

It was there for a week and when we took it for a test ride the noise was still there.  Then, after we informed the service manager that the noise was still present, he took it for a ride.  AND when he came back he said that he didn't hear anything.....

The rest is history.  I fixed it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:02:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake Squeal Returns/Xenon Headlamp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.