Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drilling stock muffler baffles (Read 25 times)
milesb
Ex Member

Drilling stock muffler baffles
06/29/05 at 17:18:16

A post appeared in the rubber side area about a new owner with backfire questions.  It appears as though the the previous owner drilled the muffler baffles.

Has anyone done this to add a little throat/noise?  Any inherent problems with this and does it require carb rejetting?  Any ideas on procedure or is it as simple as drilling holes in the end baffle?  

Seems like an easy way to get some added sound but it also seems too simple to be without some type of downside.

I recently purchased a completely stock '02 (except for the carb spacer reduction).  Thanks for any info.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Drilling stock muffler baffles
Reply #1 - 06/29/05 at 19:00:02

I didn't just drill the baffle, I cut the whole rear baffle out.  Sound was loud, but high-pitched like a dirt bike not low-rumbly like a cruiser.

Also, my low end power suffered pretty bad but wide open was about the same as before.

I still have that stock pipe with no rear baffle, if you want it you can have it for the shipping cost to get it to you - figure about 25 pounds from 76015.

I was most pleased with the Screamin'Eagle and stock Sportster mufflers.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/30/05 at 17:55:35

Thanks for the offer.  I'll sit on my stock muffler for a while - just curious about simple mods for down the road.

Miles

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/30/05 at 21:17:08

i did it sounds a little louder.i adj the fuel mix screw it back fires less.

shawn

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/01/05 at 04:07:30

how did you do it, that is, what diameter holes and how many?  did you just simply drill into/thru the baffle? how thick is the baffle?

thanks,

Miles

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #5 - 07/01/05 at 04:30:32

The back baffle is about 1/4 inch (6mm) thick.  It's tough.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/01/05 at 11:56:44

2 holes 1\4 inch one on top one on the below Tongue
hard to drill like bobo said Embarrassed

shawn

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/02/05 at 11:39:30

Did it,  Drilled two 1/4" holes on opposite sides of the baffle.  Used a $5.49 Ace Hardware Cobalt bit on my 3/8" corded B&D drill.  

Piece of cake getting through the the baffle.  If you do it, just be careful as you begin to punch through the metal so as not to hang up the bit.  The Cobalt bits have a self tapping tip that makes it easy to know when you've started to punched through.

Definitely adds a little "attitude" to the sound.  A bit louder, maybe a slight bit lower tone.  For ten minutes worth of effort, not a bad result.

Miles

p.s.  last post on this topic I'll put here.  this should be in RSD as I've read, but since I started it here, figured it best to end it here.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 07/02/05 at 13:35:42

milesb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
p.s.  last post on this topic I'll put here.  this should be in RSD as I've read, but since I started it here, figured it best to end it here.

And would you believe that I didn't realize who started this topic?

Oh well, open mouth and jump right in....tact isn't one of my strong points  Smiley

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/06/05 at 20:02:17

Update:  1/4" holes seemed to add a little more volume so I bored 'em out to 3/8".  Nice result.  A little bit louder, a more raspy pop on decceration.  I'll stop there.

Miles

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 07/06/05 at 21:03:36

Harley sportster mufflers are inexpensive and already have one big hole in the back already...no drilling required!!

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/06/05 at 21:07:21

Grin

mfb

IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/07/05 at 12:36:39

I drilled out my girlfriends with a 1/4 bit....   i think i put 6 in it... throaty..  gotta love it...  it also backfires .. pop pop BOOM!!!     sounds like a 12 guage going off..  i love it..  i let her lead most of the time..  every time it does it in town...  people jump out of their shorts...  I  just follow behind her and giggle...

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/07/05 at 13:09:40

Six, eh?  Hmmm, now you got me thinking....  

Just took short ride to check out the front brake after I cleaned the rotor with brake cleaner, pulled & sanded the pads, lightly greased the pins and shot the backs with anti-squeal compound.  No more squeal!  Thanks guys/gals for the great instructions in another thread on doing that simple job.

Anyway, when I got back, I pulled the bike in front of the garage door, left it running and went in to open the door.  As someone suggested, the bike definitely sounds like a UH-1 chopper while idling!  

fwiw, after the drilling, I don't have a significant increase in backfire.  Just an occasional one on decel.

Miles

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/12/05 at 17:10:06

Pics or links to pics please !!!

Getting tired of the golf cart comments....hehehe...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:42:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drilling stock muffler baffles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.