Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil Change Question (Read 6 times)
savagegirlbiker
Ex Member

Oil Change Question
07/05/05 at 19:12:30

Hi,

A few weeks back I printed out the instructions for doing an oil change which Greg_650 put out there for everyone.  Very staightforward instructions and really appreciated.  I have a question - what exactly is the tool you show in your photos to remove the cover where the oil filter is.  I assumed it would be in my tool kit but is not and not being very mechanical I have no idea what kind of head the bolts are.  

If anyone can tell me what kind of tool I need to get I would be forever grateful.

Thanks

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Oil Change Question
Reply #1 - 07/05/05 at 19:40:24

You would need a 5 mm hex key and unfortunately it is not part of the tool kit. I bought a whole set of hex keys that you can use with 3/8" rachet drive. This way you can use torque wrench to correctly tighten them. You will find that there are many of these bolts that use kex key of various size. Might as well invest in a set or find a good friend that already have them Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 07/05/05 at 19:45:17

savagegirlbiker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hi,

A few weeks back I printed out the instructions for doing an oil change which Greg_650 put out there for everyone.  Very staightforward instructions and really appreciated.  I have a question - what exactly is the tool you show in your photos to remove the cover where the oil filter is.  I assumed it would be in my tool kit but is not and not being very mechanical I have no idea what kind of head the bolts are.  

If anyone can tell me what kind of tool I need to get I would be forever grateful.

Thanks

I got your tool, right here!

(just kidding, I'm in a mood)  Roll Eyes

That tool, in my spouse's hand (I did it again), is just a fancy T-handled allen wrench.  It isn't in your toolkit.  You can get them at places like Harbor Freight.  I think that one is 5.5 MM.

BUT on the other hand, it won't help much, right?  Aren't the stock Savage filter cover bolts of the hex head type?  I can't remember.  I changed ours so long ago (and so much else) that I'm not even sure.  Is that the reason for this question?

Actually, I think the hex head bolts are 8 MM.  AND I think that it might be time for me to update those photos with a better camera at the next oil change.

Good call!  Observant to the point that I was scratching my head.  Thanks for bringing this up, and I hope I answered your question.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/05/05 at 19:47:00

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
You would need a 5 mm hex key and unfortunately it is not part of the tool kit. I bought a whole set of hex keys that you can use with 3/8" rachet drive. This way you can use torque wrench to correctly tighten them. You will find that there are many of these bolts that use kex key of various size. Might as well invest in a set or find a good friend that already have them Grin

So, they are allen head anyway?  Cool.

I need a stock Savage for reference  Tongue

IP Logged
savagegirlbiker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/05/05 at 20:00:47

Thanks all for your quick and very useful responses.  I guess I better get myself to the tool store.  

Thanks so much.     Wink

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 07/06/05 at 00:44:40

You can get a set of metric allen head wrenches pretty much anywhere. I got mine from Home Depot. Sears sells nice sets too. I use the L-shaped wrenches.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 07/06/05 at 05:59:04

And I would strongly suggest getting a set of the L-type that has a ball-tip at one end.  

These allow you access at a slight angle where the normal allen wrench won't.  The only downside I could envision to the ball tip might be that it could break off under heavy stress.  However, that doesn't bother me for three reasons.  (1) I've been using this type for years and haven't broken one yet.  (2) The Savage/S40 has few, if any, allen bolts requiring that much torque.  I always use the other end to "break" a bolt loose in the first place, so even loctite use is okay.  (3) If one did snap off, I'd simply file the tip and have a normal allen wrench remaining.  My point is that the ability to get at some bolts from varying angles is desirable.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 07/06/05 at 06:48:58

Savagegirlbiker - Savage_Rob

I think what Savagedude pointed out about the torque wrench is important. If you don't have a good "mechanic's feel" for how tight that metric bolt should be, it would be really easy with a set of L wrenches to get it either too tight or too loose (likely too loose unless you have gorilla arms and hands). The lesson might be learned quicker and stick with you longer if you do it wrong Roll Eyes, but the torque wrench will help you do it right the first time and everytime.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 07/06/05 at 08:44:43

I'd agree with that where it fits.  I've been keeping my eyes open for ball-tip allen sockets (either 1/4 or 3/8 drive) but haven't seen 'em yet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #9 - 07/06/05 at 10:16:31

I agree with Savage_Rob about having a set like that too. The more tools you have the quicker you get the job done.
There is no such thing as too much tools  Grin Grin Grin

Savage_Rob, I bought my set at Pep Boys auto part store($13)
Try your local auto part store.

Happy wrenching

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 07/06/05 at 11:26:03

...There is no such thing as too much tools  Grin Grin Grin

You sound just like my hubby. It must be a man thing...  Cheesy

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Deb
2005 No Login

02 silver savage :)
In the mountains of
East Tenn.

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 07/06/05 at 11:50:39

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
You sound just like my hubby. It must be a man thing...  Cheesy

I think savagegirlrider likes tools too?  I am just jealous don't know how to work on mine just give her a bath and ride, ride , ride.  Grin

YaBBCJunior
Littled200056   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 07/07/05 at 07:50:40

Savage_Rob, I bought my set at Pep Boys auto part store($13)
Try your local auto part store.

My two nearest AutoZones didn't have any.  I'll check Pep Boys.  Thanks!

Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 07/07/05 at 07:59:54

Deb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I think savagegirlrider likes tools too?  I am just jealous don't know how to work on mine just give her a bath and ride, ride , ride.  Grin

Well I work on my bike and have my own toolbox but am not as maniacal about tools as my husband!  Wink

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #14 - 07/07/05 at 10:32:36

Quote:
on Jul 6th, 2005, 1:16pm, SavageDude wrote:...There is no such thing as too much tools

Quote:
You sound just like my hubby. It must be a man thing...

Last week a tree fell in my back yard.  My first thought was, "I now have a reason to get a chainsaw! Whoopie!"

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:22:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Change Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.