Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Ratings? (Read 5 times)
Ed Thompson

Power Ratings?
06/10/05 at 01:26:24

So what kind of power do these put out? I haven't been able to find anything.

IP Logged
ThomasJ
Ex Member

Re: Power Ratings?
Reply #1 - 06/10/05 at 01:39:03

From what ive seen 28 to 30HP.

IP Logged
Ed Thompson

Reply #2 - 06/10/05 at 23:59:59

I wasn't expecting much more then that.  I'm looking at getting a new S40 and thats just the one specification i couldn't find, how do the bigger guys fit these for long rides? I'm pushing 6' and weigh about 200 lbs i just want to make sure i'll be comfortable on the thing.

IP Logged
38fury
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/11/05 at 01:40:06

Any way went ahead and registered Smiley I'd like to figure out how much torque these make, i have a rough estimate off that horsepower figure but without a rpm for that max torque it's not necessarily accurate.  Also i'd like to know of any major problems that you run in to with these. I've done a lot with cars, but this is almost completly different to what i'd be used to working on (a '97 camaro is 100% different than a S40 Wink)  thanks for any insight.

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/11/05 at 06:29:58

Here's a previous thread on torque:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

And here's a long one on Jetting,

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

In the Jetting thread is hidden a little gem about some dyno test results for exhaust upgrades:

http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/ls650exh.html

That should give you a place to start.

Regards, David

IP Logged
ThomasJ
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/11/05 at 14:13:40

Ed Thompson wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
how do the bigger guys fit these for long rides? I'm pushing 6' and weigh about 200 lbs i just want to make sure i'll be comfortable on the thing.

I am 6ft and i have always been fine on it. But I have some forward controls on the way. With the stock position of the foot pegs it was a little cramped. I rode an S40 the other day and im going to order the seat from one. It is 100% percent improvment over the savage seat. I also have drag syle bars and risers. You will have a head start because your bike will come with the good seat and bars. If you really like to stretch out though you will want forward controls. They should make the S40 very comortable.

IP Logged
russ_g
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/06/05 at 12:51:35

Some will flame me or disagree for what I'm about to post, but it's always helpful to have  2 sides to an opinion.

Let me say I really like my Savage, but I only use it for a commuter and short trips.  Longest I've ridden for is an hour.  I'm barely over 5'8" and am about 180 lbs.  For a stock Savage I wouln't want to ride for any more than an hour that's for sure.  What are you buying the bike for.  For your size, if you're planning on doing any serious riding - I'd suggest a different bike - seriously.  If you're planning on doing longer rides - at the very least, you're going to have to put on some forward controls, modify your seat possibly, then look at re-jetting, and replacing muffler to get you the power and comfort you want for your size.  Instead of throwing a bunch of time and money trying to make the S40 into something it wasn't in the first place -  you might be better off looking at the S83 or C/S 50 or different bike all together.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 07/06/05 at 14:11:14

russ_g wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Some will flame me or disagree for what I'm about to post, but it's always helpful to have  2 sides to an opinion. 

yo russ,
you may find disagreement with your opinions on this board, yet we agree to disagree on issues here at suzukisavage.com with out resorting to flame wars.

as a rider with a small inseam and nice round waist, i've found that the size of the machine is just right.  i'm a lifelong rider and have become accoustom to many hours in the saddle, so for me doing 500miles in a day is not a problem. i also went with a springer solo seat which is somewhat better than stock.
most people find that by the time they run out of fuel it's time for a few minutes out of the seat.

i see the savage as the V.W. of the motorcycle world.
inexpensive to own and operate, easy to work on, reliable, and if you choose you can make it one screaming monster. or just leave stock.  

the best thing about the savage is the worldwide support group. there is nothing you can't fix with the help of these fine folks.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/06/05 at 19:30:52

Ed Thompson wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
how do the bigger guys fit these for long rides? I'm pushing 6' and weigh about 200 lbs i just want to make sure i'll be comfortable on the thing.

I'm the same size.  6'-200# I've spent a grand total of less than $100 to change my stocker to a more comfortable, snarling, roaring, umm...savage beast  Embarrassed  The only thing I've got left on my to-do list in the comfort area is a set of highway pegs.  I've had several bikes in my life and this one suits me very well.  It accelerates hard, handles reasonable well in the twisties for me (but it's no crotch rocket), has exactly the look I wanted, and with a Screaming Eagle muffler, just sounds great.

I guess it depends on your definition of long rides...you're gonna have to fuel up after about 100-120 miles...which means a few minutes out of the saddle.  In another thread I mentioned that I spent 2 straight hours on the bike on Tuesday, and was comfortable (read "no monkey butt") for almost the entire time.   If you're gonna run down the interstate at 80 mph for hours on end on a regular basis, you might think about another bike.  The light weight of the Savage, which makes it so much fun to fling around curves, also contributes to some buffeting at 70-75 mph when you're running with the cages and semi's.

Having said all of that, I LOVE my bike.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/06/05 at 20:27:41

I'm 6'2" 235 LBS, SIZE 14EEE boots. Longest ride on the Savage was about 125 miles in one day. Bike has been a commuter rig ever since (which it excels at by the way).

For ME, the Savage is a "cute little toy motorcycle". Commuting, canyon carving by the house, trips to the river, it works perfectly. Anything over an hour away, I'm driving my truck.

For my son, who is my height but 50 pounds lighter, the bike works perfectly. So I gave it to him for Christmas 2004. Got it back by default 2 months ago when he moved. He's moving back this weekend.

Next day off, I'M going bike shopping...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #10 - 07/06/05 at 21:07:47

i'm 6' 220 lbs, but a 30" inseam, long torso,can look over a Plexistar 2 shield, with seat up an inch in front and 2 layers of sheepskin, put in several 200 mi.+ days with only an ocasional dismount. it's no wing, but I didn't buy it with that expectation. for the long haul, we take the GL1800 trike.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/07/05 at 07:03:13

Yeah, the fact I have a 35 or 36 inch inseam doesn't help...look on Paladin's photo gallery, bike 15a. The ground I'm standing on is only an inch or so higher than the ground the bike is sitting on. I'd add forward contorls to go with the cutdown seat and apehangers, but, even my wife wants me to get a different bike now.  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #12 - 07/07/05 at 07:16:38

Another leg muscle trick is to hang your heels over the passenger pegs, crotch rocket style.  Anything to keep the legs from getting "bored".

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Power Ratings?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.