Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loose foot pegs? (Read 4 times)
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Loose foot pegs?
06/27/05 at 07:15:16

I was spending some quality time with my new (to me) bike this weekend and I noticed a couple quirks that I could not resolve.  Being a bike n00b, I was not sure if this was normal or a possible issue.

I observed somewhat loose foot pegs on both the port and starboard sides (loosest on the port).  On the port side, I removed the plug covering the 5-mm hex screw and unscrewed it.  Upon removing the peg, I did not see any obvious signs of it being bent or abnormal.  I also did not see any clear way to make the peg tighten up.  I am concerned that the loose peg may make it difficult for me to shift the bike.

My questions:
Would I have to make some shims to firm it up?

Is there supposed to be this looseness to keep from transmitting vibrations to the rider's feet?

Is it likely that my pegs are bent (the bike has been dropped on the left side by the previous owner and there is black tape on the rubber of the peg)?  How do I tell?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Loose foot pegs?
Reply #1 - 06/27/05 at 08:02:19

Uh, I had a fottpeg FALL OFF the bike at the end of a 5000 mile trip. Get some blue or red loctite and use it on the threads. Red means it is pretty much impossible to remove, blue means you can take it off (maybe, try using a breaker bar).  Don't use too much, though, it can be messy.  You can get it at any hardware or automotive store.

IP Logged
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/27/05 at 11:36:00

Would loctite really tighten up the pegs?  I cranked on the screw a bit and it did not seem to have any affect in the looseness of the peg.  Something must be out of whack.

Would other Suzuki cruiser pegs fit on a 2000 Savage?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/27/05 at 16:09:32

oh... I see... hmmm, nut sure...

they are supposed to move vertically so that if you corner too hard they come up a little... is this what you are asking about, the built in joint?

good luck!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/27/05 at 22:12:35

They move. It's normal. The "slop" is built in to keep from tearing the peg off as readily during hard cornering.

If it bugs you, a washer on each side will tighten it up.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/28/05 at 05:06:58

So it's a non-issue for the most part.  Cool  8)

I may try a washer on the port side to make it a little more stable and give it a similar looseness to the other side.  Thanks for the help.

Tim

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 06/28/05 at 05:49:19

Loose is relative.  How loose and where loose?  They do "sort of" wiggle a little when brand new, but it should be firm footing with your weight on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 16:14:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loose foot pegs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.