Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Hot Weather Tuning
06/23/05 at 19:59:16

I've been away for around a month, the move to Florida has taken up all of my free time and I've really missed everybody!!! :'(. Could use some tips on hot weather tuning, my '02 runs great but seemed to get hot in traffic, even shut off a couple of times. Mods so far include a sportster muffler, 152.5 main, 1/2 white spacer and idle mixture screw backed out 2 1/2 turns from tight in. I've already turned up the idle, anything else that can be done?.
  Moving down here from Pennsylvania wasn't too bad except for the shop. Realized I was in trouble 250 miles into the trip after the trailer had a double blowout at 65mph. Seems that I OVERLOADED THE TRAILER!!!!! Undecided, destroyed four tires and a rim during the trip down I 95. Oh well, got here with only my pride and wallet hurt. It's a humbling feeling when you realize you are in too deep but can only continue and can not turn back. Now it is time to explore the roads of Florida. Cheesy  Ride Safe everybody, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Hot Weather Tuning
Reply #1 - 06/23/05 at 21:55:09

Switch to 20W50 oil soon. Fatten up the fuel curve a bit, and try not to get stuck in traffic if possible.
-WD

Oh, and check the plug to make sure the color is right. Hot weather may require a plug change. Not uncommon as lean as these bikes run.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
grail21

www.knucklebust
erinc.com

Reply #2 - 06/23/05 at 22:11:00

Hey Ed, good to see you back. I never got to thank you for sending me the link to the pics of your bike with the clubmans on - much appreciated.  I just got some drag bars so I'm going to give those a try first. Good luck in your new home, and glad your back on board.

----------------------------------------
www.knucklebusterinc.com
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 06/24/05 at 02:12:57

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
It's a humbling feeling when you realize you are in too deep but can only continue and can not turn back.

Ed, glad ya made it.

ain't that a mouthfull  Wink,

truer words have never been spoken.

after the bike, the next thing bring out the camera.
feel free to regale us with your travels in the new environment.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 06/24/05 at 10:33:38

Thanks everybody, think I'll need some tips on riding in the rain. Seems that it's the rainy season here with showers every afternoon. Riding in the morning is a quick cure for that problem Grin. I'll get the camera out as soon as I can find out where it was packed and take some pictures. Need to get rid of my laptop background pic of the savage in snow, maybe something with palm trees is more like it. Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 06/25/05 at 09:01:19

Your trip to Florida, and some of the unexpected monetary expenses, sounds very familiar to our trip to Oregon.  Takes a little time after that kind of move to get your $hit together, too.  Welcome back.

BTW - how much weight did you have on your trailer?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 06/25/05 at 13:40:01

How much weight? didn't have the nerve to weigh it. The trailer was a 22 foot enclosed car carrier bought just for the trip packed as full as possible. Looking back on it I think the two roll on tool boxes, engine hoist and southbend 10 inch metal lathe put an extra ton or more in it above the max capacity of 6500lbs. Trailer held up fine, just shreaded tires when I drove above 50mph. Ended up putting on the emergency blinkers and drove the last 300 miles at 45mph stopping every hour to let the tires cool off. From Virginia on down the air temp was in the high 90's which really roasted the rubber. It still gives me the willies thinking about it. Sad. Slipped out for a quick ride yesterday and got caught in my first Florida rain storm, think it is time to get some rain gear, anybody have any suggestions as to what works? Thanks
Ed L.

IP Logged
grail21

www.knucklebust
erinc.com

Reply #7 - 06/25/05 at 18:39:30

" Looking back on it I think the two roll on tool boxes, engine hoist and southbend 10 inch metal lathe put an extra ton..."
HOT darn thats some serious gear there.

Rain Gear: I haven't used mine much (cept for my MSF class) but I picked up a whole set (jacket, pants) at Target for cheap. Seems built well enough and that it would last, but price is really what sold me on it.

----------------------------------------
www.knucklebusterinc.com
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 06/25/05 at 20:00:08

I got 18 YEARS out of a set of Coleman Expediton. Not sure if it is made anymore, but finding similar is no trouble. Frog Togs are good. You want great? BMW or Triumph or HD branded. Lots of change though...
Decent? Tour Master (yep, the saddlebag company) makes one and two piece suits, AND boot covers. Even in sizes to fit my 14EEE steel toed riding boots. I'd stay away from the army surplus gore-tex, it leaks.

If you get the chance, check out the Pensacola motorcycle swap meet. A bit of a haul for you, but well worth the trip. Raingear, jackets, helmets, paint, etc at considerable savings for new gear, nearly free for some of the used gear. Mostly HD (old ones) or Brit bikes (old ones), but, soft goods is soft goods.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 06/26/05 at 11:47:46

Always worth looking at NewEnough.com also.  They carry a fair selection of stuff.  The merchandise is all new but is often last year's model instead of the latest version.  Prices are usually pretty good.  I've always been impressed with the quality of anything I've gotten at Aerostitch.com too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 06/26/05 at 16:25:06

I've used Newenough.com before, got a Firstgear nylon mesh riding jacket last year for the hot weather. I'll give then a lookover. Thanks for all the suggestions, Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:52:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hot Weather Tuning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.