Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
great info here (Read 4 times)
milesb
Ex Member

great info here
06/25/05 at 18:25:01

I'm back on a bike after a fews years.  Found a good deal on a '02 Savage with only 1,300 miles.  Feels great to ride again.

There is some excellent info here, even after my brief flip through some of the posts.  Will spend some time looking around.

Looks like a lot on mufflers/sound - if I do anything to the bike, getting a little more throat out of it will be at the top of the list.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: great info here
Reply #1 - 06/25/05 at 20:25:34

Welcome aboard - add a little more gas with a little more sound and you'll make a fine ride a mighty fine ride!

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/26/05 at 07:46:44

Thanks.  

Feels great to ride agin, been a few years following the loss of a close friend to a wreck.  Following that I sold my old '81 Honda 750-Four Classic.

When I saw this bike posted on a local forsale newsgroup, I went to have a look more just for the heck of it.  My first impression was "wow, it's small!"  Kinda like the first time anyone sees the Alamo.

The owner asked if I wanted to take it for a cruise and I was nervous as a cat (of course, I had brought my helmet with me!).  After about three minutes, I realized this was the bike for me.  I'm not a big guy (5'9" - 155 lbs) and it fit like a glove.  For $2,500 with a Memphis Shades screen, saddle bags, cover and various and sundry items like a few OEM oil filters, plugs and shop manual, I couldn't pass it up.  The previus owner also addressed the carb spacer to rid it of backfire.

The bike is pure stock and barely into its break in at 1,300 miles, well, 1,450 after yesterday.  It's great on the back roads, but I was still a little freaked at highway speeds.  I can definitely feel the difference in weight.  More likely, it's just me getting used to its characteristics.

The stock exhaust sounds like my B&G 5HP lawn mower so I wouldn't mind a little more noise.  On the other hand, I'm on the fence with not keeping it stock.  

I'm not real up on MC mechanics, but I'm reasonably handy, so minor mods should not be a problem for me.  I also have a good buddy (HD rider, of course) who's pretty handy with a wrench.  Has anyone had any success with drilling the baffles in the stock muffler? Raising the front of the seat seems like a good idea too but does that force even more of the weight to the tailbone?  Every bump in the road seems transfered right there.

I look forward to getting ideas from the group.  Will post a pic later.

IP Logged
milesb
Ex Member

Re: great info here - link to pic of bike
Reply #3 - 06/26/05 at 07:59:01

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 06/26/05 at 10:24:01

She looks nice and clean....welcome.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 06/26/05 at 14:53:49

Yeah, she looks nice and clean.  Welcome to the club.  It a great bike and this is a great bunch of folks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 23:03:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › great info here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.